Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Browsing the papers and thought this was worth posting in a new thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...icy-emerges-ba

British Airways’ stated commitment to recruiting more female pilots has been called into question after it emerged that the flag carrier offers only a “scandalous” six weeks’ maternity pay to its staff. Although BA has launched a recruitment drive to get more women in the cockpit for its centenary year, and employs about 300 female pilots, any who become pregnant face a 90% pay cut. This leads some to choose between financial hardship or terminations, according to unions.The British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) said the current level of maternity pay across the aviation industry was a scandal and an obstacle to women joining the profession.

Pilots are often the sole or main earner in families, it said, while younger pilots may still be paying off training costs which can typically exceed Ł100,000. Lilian Greenwood, the chair of the Commons transport select committee, said BA needed to do better, adding that there was a big difference between observing the legal minimum and standard practice. She said: “BA is better than the average for female pilot recruitment, but a long way from where it should be.

“If they are serious about change and improving that balance they have do better – not just professional development but supporting women during their career, if they want to combine that with being a mother.” Balpa’s general secretary, Brian Strutton, said: “Many of the hardships associated with an 80-90% reduction in pay are obvious. Increasingly, women pilots are also servicing debt from the costs of higher education and flight training, along with saving for the costs of buying a first house.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 8, 2019 at 12:56 am Reason: reduce article clip to a three paragraph summary per rule 9
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Hey get with the times, it’s parental leave these days in any case.

Last edited by navylad; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:41 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why all the ballyhoo when I suspect the vast majority of UK employers abide by the same law?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
Hey with the times, it’s oaternity leave these days in any case.
That's confused me that one! Couldn't find an answer on Google either or is it a political correctness saying or something

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why all the ballyhoo when I suspect the vast majority of UK employers abide by the same law?
Dinnae blame me, I'm just the Reporter

I think the point is BA, according to the article, could do better compared to some other airlines.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I don’t see a reason why BA should do better. Obviously it’s more beneficial to have a male pilot who is going to work more time/years for the airline and if girls do want to be pilots a maternity pay benefit is not gonna sway them one way or another.
just all this modern day media reporting
omk298 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I don’t see a reason why BA should do better. Obviously it’s more beneficial to have a male pilot who is going to work more time/years for the airline and if girls do want to be pilots a maternity pay benefit is not gonna sway them one way or another.
I can't work out if this is sarcasm, or you've somehow managed to invent the WWW in 1973 and post into the future.
SK, Dan72, dodgeflyer and 25 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PETER01
That's confused me that one! Couldn't find an answer on Google either or is it a political correctness saying or something

Dinnae blame me, I'm just the Reporter

I think the point is BA, according to the article, could do better compared to some other airlines.
Yes you have to pay more ( in bennies or cash) to get what you want !
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by PETER01
That's confused me that one! Couldn't find an answer on Google either or is it a political correctness saying or something :confused.
My apologies for my typo but yes it should be called parental leave not maternity leave these days and is not just available to mothers. There is statutory requirement for paternity leave which can be shared between the parents.

https://www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leave-and-pay
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Some have more generous terms than others

6 weeks full pay, reducing to somewhere around 75% of full pay up until 6 months, followed by a reduction to SMP up to 9 months was the most generous I’ve seen.

There are are a LOT of employers who just pay SMP these days
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by Skimo
I can't work out if this is sarcasm, or you've somehow managed to invent the WWW in 1973 and post into the future.
Are you disagreeing with the obviously true statement, or just wishing that reality was different?

My understanding is that pursuing a career as a pilot is a fairly expensive, and therefore risky, undertaking. Someone who follows that path is unlikely to stop and say, "actually the parental leave pay policy at one airline is poor, I'm not going to do this anymore". Plus, if other airlines have better pay/policies, then what's the problem? Either people who care about that can work elsewhere, or BA offers better pay/conditions in other ways. Would you cut annual salaries by a few Łk/year for everyone to pay more to people who aren't working?
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Six weeks’ full pay is very poor. My employer offers 27 weeks at full pay, plus 12 weeks at SMP I believe.
dajdavies and ConfusedByBAEC like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Oh dear...

I my experience I actually find women executives in Investment banking tend to be more willing to listen and build consensus and are thus less prone to making stupid errors. Perhaps something to consider on a flight deck. The lose of valuable skills and experience to outdated thinking on a "woman's place" must cost our economy billions every year.

Using the word "girls" disparage women is just pathetic.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well this thread is just a depressing reminder that Flyertalk mainly consists of male dinosaurs.

Fortunately I think attitudes are slowly changing with the younger generations.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:03 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
If retention of highly trained and professional female pilots who get pregnant is low due to only offering SMP then you do have a problem. The costs of offering a better maternity pay policy for pilots are probably smaller when compared to the costs of recruiting and training new pilots to replace them.

Also, why restrict yourself to only half the gene pool and potentially miss out on exceptional employees because they are female.
​​​​​
lukew, Scots_Al, Pascoe and 6 others like this.

Last edited by McG; Feb 8, 2019 at 5:06 am Reason: Grammar
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Wish granted, both parents get adequate parental leave. Everyone is now paid a bit less to subsidize the choices of other people.

Congratulations.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.