FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Moving Carry-on Luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1955074-moving-carry-luggage.html)

Monkville Feb 7, 2019 5:49 am

Moving Carry-on Luggage

When did it become acceptable for late arriving passengers to move carry on luggage from one bin to another (without asking)? This hadn’t happened to me in a while and it’s now happened 3 times in the past couple of months. Am I missing something?

A variation of this is people in rows 10+ leaving their lugggage in the first few rows, something that some airlines signpost against (though casually enforced).

Sorry if this has been covered before but interested if anyone else shares my pet peeve. And what if anything they’ve done about it.

Monkville

dougzz Feb 7, 2019 5:55 am

What did you say when your luggage was moved, or did you only find out when you landed?

jwhite9185 Feb 7, 2019 5:57 am

Had it happen to me once before - I noticed and told them that they could store their bag further back and leave mine above my seat. Didn't go down particularly well with them, but too bad.

IntVic Feb 7, 2019 6:06 am

Originally Posted by jwhite9185 (Post 30749629)
Had it happen to me once before - I noticed and told them that they could store their bag further back and leave mine above my seat. Didn't go down particularly well with them, but too bad.

Good on you for telling them... I think it's out of order for a fellow passenger to move another passenger's luggage without permission.

bermyandy Feb 7, 2019 6:25 am

Are we talking something as simple as moving from one side of a barrier to the other? Or more material

How many people have headphones in on planes - I've seen it happen before with crew asking about jackets or bags and they get ignored, so I cant see passengers getting better response.

I personally dont see the issue. If my bag placed marginally further away allows space for another passengers bag to fit, thereby allowing us all to board quicker, then go for it..

Often1 Feb 7, 2019 6:32 am

Unless you have a reservation for a specific space, it is not "yours" but BA's and for the use of all passengers. A variation is those carriers which post some spaces by cabin class.

While moving luggage to the other side or perhaps back a few rows ought to be handled by CC, on a standard single-aisle aircraft, the premium ought to be on time, not solicitude.

Kungpo Feb 7, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30749721)
Unless you have a reservation for a specific space, it is not "yours" but BA's and for the use of all passengers. A variation is those carriers which post some spaces by cabin class.

While moving luggage to the other side or perhaps back a few rows ought to be handled by CC, on a standard single-aisle aircraft, the premium ought to be on time, not solicitude.

It might not be "my" space, but by the same token, nor is it anyone elses - and to be honest, no one apart from CC or me should be handling my luggage once stowed. Besides, why is it ok to move my stuff further back so a later arriving passenger can have their items closer to them?

GCab Feb 7, 2019 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Kungpo (Post 30749760)
It might not be "my" space, but by the same token, nor is it anyone elses - and to be honest, no one apart from CC or me should be handling my luggage once stowed. Besides, why is it ok to move my stuff further back so a later arriving passenger can have their items closer to them?

Agree with this - the "it's not your space" argument must apply to those arriving later too, and if it's one or the other then there's an element of first-come first-served, surely? It's the only real advantage of early boarding with status while flying economy, so what would be the point of Boarding Groups etc. if the last person in can rearrange things to be all to their advantage?

Obviously it's a matter of degree - a shift by one place or changing orientation to make more room is one thing and I'm not sure I'd kick off about them simply laying a hand on it; but someone else moving your bag a substantial distance so that you have fight the flow of disembarking crowd to retrieve it from way behind you, just to avoid them doing the same, would be a totally selfish no-go I think; unless they have essential medications or disability aids or something - in which case it would be polite for them to ask first and anyone would say yes.

chris1922Mk2 Feb 7, 2019 8:02 am

Was there not a comment recently about a late arriving pax who simply removed a stowed carry on from the overhead, replaced it with theirs, left the offending item in the aisle, and promptly sat down !
Minor re-arranging to accommodate is perfectly acceptable, not all people stow their carry on with other passengers in mind, but whole sale removal and placing else where should be left to CC.

Soupey202 Feb 7, 2019 9:42 am

To an extent I can see minor rearranging to make space is reasonable BUT if in row one you cannot put things under the seat in front, no I don’t want someone moving my small personal bag with passports, money and medication away from above my head where I can see it and reach it at all times. I do think both for row one and all exit rows there should be better policing by CC that the space above is kept for that row, especially for small items which would normally be under the seat in front.

T8191 Feb 7, 2019 10:22 am

We’ve become a bit more sensitive to the subject since we started using Row 1 on s/h ... we used to use Row 2 to avoid the ‘battles’ and just put our small carry-on under the seat in front. Then I decided “Dammit, I want/need the legroom.”

I will now fight, tooth and nail, to preserve our small bags (efficiently placed) in the nearest overhead that the CC detritus permits! ;)

Agneisse Feb 7, 2019 12:15 pm

I will rearrange within the same bin if the placement is wasteful, which is very often in winter when coats are splayed out flat rather than placed on top of luggage or at least rolled up. In my mind we all have a shared responsibility to move efficiently and try to fit as many things in the bins as possible. But I can't imagine moving items to a completely different bin without asking, you do not know what is in there, yes it is the owner's 'fault' for not keeping valuables with them but you could still cause someone a lot of unnecessary panic.

PUCCI GALORE Feb 7, 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 30750473)
I will now fight, tooth and nail, to preserve our small bags (efficiently placed) in the nearest overhead that the CC detritus permits! ;)

A very good point. Nothing, but nothing makes me so cross as Cabin Crew taking up space with their bags. I do understand that they have to go somewhere- but they can use places (unoccupied areas at the bottom of trolleys comes to mind for their handbags Jersey is more complicated as the crews do night stops down there and so need cabin baggage,

As for people moving other people's things - the crew should stop it. I had a to-do with some TR who kicked off about my bag being over his seat. I told him that it was shared space and first come first served, He did not think that this was right - so I pointed out that there he was not the only person in the row so what gave him the right over the person at the window? Silenced but not diarmed, he started moaning to a crew member who gave him just as short shrift.

PUCCI GALORE Feb 7, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Monkville (Post 30749617)
When did it become acceptable for late arriving passengers to move carry on luggage from one bin to another (without asking)? This hadn’t happened to me in a while and it’s now happened 3 times in the past couple of months. Am I missing something?

A variation of this is people in rows 10+ leaving their lugggage in the first few rows, something that some airlines signpost against (though casually enforced).

Sorry if this has been covered before but interested if anyone else shares my pet peeve. And what if anything they’ve done about it.

Monkville

I agree with you in totality. Worse are smart-arses who put their bags in Club Class and then go down the back. I've reported this to the crew before now. If you are non one of those Ryanairesque A320s with no bulkhead - the nearest locked is over Row 2. The first bin is for crew equipment and the second is usually filled with the crew's handbags or luggage. Opposite there will be space taken up by galley equipment and toilet rolls. Is it beyond the wit of anyone to put the toilet rolls in the toilet?? I get cross that BA still has not changed the layout of those A 320s at LGW. Some still show BMI on the display screen in the cabin, and how long ago did that die?

PETER01 Feb 7, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 30751148)
I agree with you in totality. Worse are smart-arses who put their bags in Club Class and then go down the back. I've reported this to the crew before now

I remember seeing a post some time ago when someone saw such an event.

The poster who was travelling at the rear of CE (can't remember who or which thread!) then immediately moved the small carry on ET bag into ET into another overhead locker, on the other side at the start of ET whilst the 'offending' person walked right down to near the back of the plane unaware his carry on had been moved.

I could imagine the look on his face when de-boarding and not seeing his bag where it shouldn't have been in the first place :)

I do think it's fair to point out though that not all late arrivals onboard intend to be late. They could have had a very short but MCT, an unforeseen delay, hitting traffic getting to the airport or other circumstances beyond their control despite the best planning.