Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving Carry-on Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i couldnt have been happier when AA installed stickers at the rear of the bins on their A321T transcon three class planes that are very clear saying something like "this bin is only for business" or first passengers.

never has there been an issue since that began.

with BA short haul, yeah it is a mix of frustration. if you only have HBO and seated in row 1, you basically have to board ASAP to have any hope of storing your bags anywhere near row 1 which is frustrating since otherwise often times i'd be happy to board last rather than "hurry and sit"
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Another reason for not removing and re arranging anyone's bag is only you know how heavy it is...I once unrelated to this offered to lift a passenger's bag from floor to overhead only to quickly realize if weighed around 80 pounds crammed full of textbooks or so I was told. Not being prepared for weight can lead to it being dropped and hopefully not on someone...could kill frankly
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, safety is an issue... but for me it is more about respect of other people's property. I would re-arrange in a bin to make room but that is as far as anyone should move other's property without their permission IMO. Perhaps I am old-fashioned. I didn't realise that this much moving of carry-on baggage went on. Now I have a heads-up I will be letting anyone who tries to move my property away from the bin into which I put it just how much I disapprove of them touching my stuff!
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Worse are smart-arses who put their bags in Club Class and then go down the back.
Most dump-and-runners I have seen (and I have seen lots) have a Gold tag (or even multiple, goodness knows why one needs to put 2 BA Gold tags on a single cabin bag?) on their cabin bag, and seem to have an expression that suggests they might be sporting an over-inflated sense of entitlement.

I think the right punishment for them is to stick them at the back of whatever the queue for the last boarding group
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Agneisse
it is the owner's 'fault' for not keeping valuables with them .
Please, do tell me how it is my fault that I can't keep my valuable laptop computer with me in the bulkhead or exit row?

Moving people's bags far from their seat is extremely antisocial.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Most dump-and-runners I have seen (and I have seen lots) have a Gold tag (or even multiple, goodness knows why one needs to put 2 BA Gold tags on a single cabin bag?) on their cabin bag, and seem to have an expression that suggests they might be sporting an over-inflated sense of entitlement.

I think the right punishment for them is to stick them at the back of whatever the queue for the last boarding group
Spot on. Crucifixon is too good for them
PAL62V likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:57 am

The eternal problem of course is the arrival of HBO travel, densified aircraft and too much baggage allowed inside the aircraft relative to the space available. That in turn causes knock on impacts like 'boarding wars' and similar.

Until it is policed properly this will be a never ending problem.

Added to it, testcal is right, the weight of some of the baggage is ridiculous (up to 23kg allowed I think?) and eventually will be a contributory factor in some incident.
flygirl68, masmadrid and Wifie like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Last month I had some kind sole decide to reposition my laptop bag from the locker I had placed it in to a locker 5 rows back. Found out after take off when I went to get my laptop to finish writing my contemporaneous notes after the HGV rammed by car while driving to the airport. As I was in 1A no choice but to place in the small 1/2 locker.

I placed their bag where they had placed my laptop as wasn't in the mood. On landing the Muppet charged up from an emergency exit row to find his bag wasn't where he had thought. The flight left early with a very light load in ET and no last minute passengers.

What hasn't helped is the lack of cabin crew offering to hang coats in the wardrobe recently, on only 1 recent SH have they offered, I normally have to hold my winter coat until the safety briefing is over then ask them if they have space. They answer is always positive but they then ignore others holding their coats.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Added to it, testcal is right, the weight of some of the baggage is ridiculous (up to 23kg allowed I think?) and eventually will be a contributory factor in some incident.
On a flight out of AMS a couple of years back, I saw a small young teenager attempting to place a blatantly oversized rucksack into an overhead bin and she was really struggling as it was obvious that the bag was too heavy for her physical capabilities.

On resting the bag against the base of the bin in an attempt to get some respite, weight and gravity took control and the bag landed on the seat below with one almighty thump. Thankfully nobody was seated there - particularly a child.

Nobody assisted her initially, but after the incident, someone lifted the bag into the bin for he r- (I was observing from my already seated position further down the back), but I agree, 23kg condensed into cabin baggage is way too heavy IMO.

I had four flights in Asia over New Year (MH and PG) and boarding full flights was a breeze without any of the nonsense that seems to plague BA.
flygirl68 and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Last month I had some kind sole decide to reposition my laptop bag from the locker I had placed it in to a locker 5 rows back. Found out after take off when I went to get my laptop to finish writing my contemporaneous notes after the HGV rammed by car while driving to the airport. As I was in 1A no choice but to place in the small 1/2 locker.

I placed their bag where they had placed my laptop as wasn't in the mood. On landing the Muppet charged up from an emergency exit row to find his bag wasn't where he had thought. The flight left early with a very light load in ET and no last minute passengers.

What hasn't helped is the lack of cabin crew offering to hang coats in the wardrobe recently, on only 1 recent SH have they offered, I normally have to hold my winter coat until the safety briefing is over then ask them if they have space. They answer is always positive but they then ignore others holding their coats.
This story's a bit fishy to me.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:42 pm

The placing of hand baggage makes the case for boarding the front rows first.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

Oh how I laughed the other week on easyJet when a passenger dumped his carry-on above me in Row 3 and disappeared to the rear end of the aircraft.

On this route the aircraft disembarks at both ends...

Palmer
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:23 pm

Some years ago on a LH QF flight, a good friend of mine who is a CSM spotted a Y pax putting their bag into the J class bins and then disappearing behind the curtain. She promptly grabbed the bag, walked down to where the pax was and dropped it in front of him saying something along the lines of, "I think you left this behind".
EDIwanderer and jfallesen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.