Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two segment redemption from US - connection protected?

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club

I'm looking to book a redemption BWI-LHR on a specific date next month.

Searching on ba.com showed no availability on the direct flight, and connecting flights only via BOS (at times that are not suitable for me). But Expertflyer indicated route BWI-DFW-LHR is available, and the times would work for me.

Deconstructing this, and checking each leg separately for redemption availability on ba.com confirms, I can book AA1185 BWI-DFW (in business class, for 20K Avios +4.30) and BA192 DFW-LHR (in First, for 85K Avios plus 600.44).

At this point, I need some advice please. I've done plenty of redemptions in the past, but never a multi-segment one.

If I go ahead and book the two redemptions separately on ba.com, and fail to make the connection at DFW, will I be left high and dry, or will BA get me back to UK on a later flight?

Or, if I phone BA will they be able to issue the whole thing (both legs) on one ticket? And if so, would that offer a saving (in Avios and or taxes/fees) compared with making two separate bookings?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by larryflyer
If I go ahead and book the two redemptions separately on ba.com, and fail to make the connection at DFW, will I be left high and dry, or will BA get me back to UK on a later flight?
BA will not, but AA will----->AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR
Click to open the wiki
This is an AA policy. Not a Oneworld or BA policy
aztimm and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm looking to book a redemption BWI-LHR on a specific date next month.

Searching on ba.com showed no availability on the direct flight, and connecting flights only via BOS (at times that are not suitable for me). But Expertflyer indicated route BWI-DFW-LHR is available, and the times would work for me.

Deconstructing this, and checking each leg separately for redemption availability on ba.com confirms, I can book AA1185 BWI-DFW (in business class, for 20K Avios +4.30) and BA192 DFW-LHR (in First, for 85K Avios plus 600.44).

At this point, I need some advice please. I've done plenty of redemptions in the past, but never a multi-segment one.

Or, if I phone BA will they be able to issue the whole thing (both legs) on one ticket? And if so, would that offer a saving (in Avios and or taxes/fees) compared with making two separate bookings?
Whether you book this on one ticket or two, it will be AA's responsibility -- not BA's -- to get you to your final destination, as AA would be the late-delivering carrier. AA protects even on separate tickets, as long as the other flight is on a oneworld carrier. But on separate tickets, you would have to claim and recheck your baggage at the intermediate point on your itinerary.

Did you check Avios availability out of PHL or EWR to LHR? There are frequent Amtrak trains from Washington, BWI, and downtown Baltimore to Philadelphia (where there are trains to PHL Airport), and to EWR Rail Station.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you check Avios availability out of PHL or EWR to LHR? There are frequent Amtrak trains from Washington, BWI, and downtown Baltimore to Philadelphia (where there are trains to PHL Airport), and to EWR Rail Station.
I did! Nothing available from EWR (my first thought) so then I looked at PHL. There was one seat - which I've actually booked (having first sussed out the Amtrak options), but could cancel for free during the 24-hour cooling-off period.

The AA flight from BWI to DFW leaves around 90 minutes AFTER the last viable Amtrak service from BWI to PHL. I could really use some of that extra time, which is one reason I started considering BWI-DFW-LHR. There's now another reason - that AA will take responsibility for getting me to London if they fail to get me to DFW in time to connect. I can't see Amtrak doing that if the train to Philadelphia gets held up!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is unique for that. BA would laugh in your face (or perhaps behind your back) and would not even protect a BA-BA on separate tickets.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
AA is unique for that. BA would laugh in your face (or perhaps behind your back) and would not even protect a BA-BA on separate tickets.
Before I get worried (and sorry to hijack thread) i assume whilst this is technically correct, generally BA would make sure you're looked after?

I have a 241 LHR-CPT with connecting IAD-LHR legs either side, all redemptions on BA.

Should I be worried? Assume nothing I can do?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonnyphan
Before I get worried (and sorry to hijack thread) i assume whilst this is technically correct, generally BA would make sure you're looked after?

I have a 241 LHR-CPT with connecting IAD-LHR legs either side, all redemptions on BA.

Should I be worried? Assume nothing I can do?
So separate tickets IAD-LHR return and LHR-CPT return? Not all on 1 PNR?
If "yes" you do not have a connection: its all your risk (got a good credit card?)
If you have checked baggage BA will not interline as this---->BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/rese...paratetickets/

What you can do is allow plenty of time between these flights and then some more time.

BA do not need to make sure you're looked after.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So separate tickets IAD-LHR return and LHR-CPT return? Not all on 1 PNR?
If "yes" you do not have a connection: its all your risk (got a good credit card?)
If you have checked baggage BA will not interline as this---->BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
British Airways' Speedbird Club: Welcome to British Airways Speedbird Club

What you can do is allow plenty of time between these flights and then some more time.

BA do not need to make sure you're looked after.
Thanks. Yes separate as the 241 had to be ex-UK.

I knew it wasnt a connection and understood it wouldnt be protected but was working on the assumption, perhaps naively that in reality BA would help a passenger who doesnt make a flight due to incoming flight being delayed / IROPs when said flight was also BA.

Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I knew it wasn’t a connection and understood it wouldn’t be protected but was working on the assumption, perhaps naively that in reality BA would help a passenger who doesn’t make a flight due to incoming flight being delayed / IROPs when said flight was also BA.
How much time between flights?
You are hoping/relying on the goodwill of BA staff on the day if a disruption.

British Airways' Speedbird Club: Welcome to British Airways Speedbird Club
A lot of "no" in the Disruption Assistance column
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

Or, if I phone BA will they be able to issue the whole thing (both legs) on one ticket?
I can't immediately see any reason why not. And AIUI the way that the multi-partner thing works, this should be priced using the standard award chart, not the multi-partner one.

At any rate, a phone call would give you the answer very quickly. There's no reason why you shouldn't book it there and then, seeing as you have a specific date and you know who's travelling. You then have 24 hours to cancel if you decide that it wasn't right for you after all.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I knew it wasnt a connection and understood it wouldnt be protected but was working on the assumption, perhaps naively that in reality BA would help a passenger who doesnt make a flight due to incoming flight being delayed / IROPs when said flight was also BA.
Unfortunately that was an excessively optimistic assumption indeed. Others advice is correct and note also the point about them not checking your bags through. This is quite critical as your lhr routes operate from two different terminals so if you have checked baggage you cannot use the airside route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.