Wiki Posts
Search

AVIOS Upgrade on Air Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
AVIOS Upgrade on Air Belgium

As I understand it you can upgrade from Y to J on a flight where the PE cabin is not available, however booking classes O & Q are not eligible for an upgrade.
On BA105, an Air Belgium operated flight to DXB, there is redemption availability in J, however ba.com will only offer me O or Y fares. According to ITA Matrix selling class N is available on that flight.

Is it possible to force ba.com to price up selling class N or do I need to call BA?
Has anyone successfully done an Avios upgrade from Y to J on Air Belgium?

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cluster One
Is it possible to force ba.com to price up selling class N or do I need to call BA?
No, you can't do this on ba.com. The usual advice for those who want to book an N class fare but can only book O class online is that you can call to book and UuA at the same time, or you can book the O class fare online and then call immediately to change it to an N class fare and UuA.

However, I don't know whether UuA will work like this on an Air Belgium-operated flight, or at all.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Probably but it would be helpful to have the dates so we can check via ExpertFlyer (etc). But yes, you would need to call up for that, for which there is a potential telephone service charge, or you can book in O online and call within 24 hours to amend to N. Or you can call up.

In the past it was certainly possible to UuA from WT to CW on routes such as BEY which didn't offer WTP, but this being a special case I'm not so sure.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
@Cluster One, please let us know how you get on.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Probably but it would be helpful to have the dates so we can check via ExpertFlyer (etc). But yes, you would need to call up for that, for which there is a potential telephone service charge, or you can book in O online and call within 24 hours to amend to N. Or you can call up.

In the past it was certainly possible to UuA from WT to CW on routes such as BEY which didn't offer WTP, but this being a special case I'm not so sure.
I called to ask about this recently and was offered a WT to CW Avios upgrade on an Air Belgium Dubai flight. Given the cost of an upgradeable economy fare, cash fees, and Avios required it seemed poor value. I was hoping to be able to upgrade from a notional WTP fare but that’s not possible unfortunately.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by woglet86

I called to ask about this recently and was offered a WT to CW Avios upgrade on an Air Belgium Dubai flight. Given the cost of an upgradeable economy fare, cash fees, and Avios required it seemed poor value. I was hoping to be able to upgrade from a notional WTP fare but that’s not possible unfortunately.
Oh interesting; so you we’re quoted an upgraded price for two cabins, when one of the cabins doesn’t exist?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by armouredant

Oh interesting; so you we’re quoted an upgraded price for two cabins, when one of the cabins doesn’t exist?
Not 100% clear on the question, but I was quoted an Avios price to upgrade from economy to business.

I asked whether it would be possible to price a UUA from WTP to business, even though the WTP cabin doesn’t exist (e.g by looking at the price of a T class fare on that route and using that price as a basis) but that is not possible - it was a long shot.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I just did exactly this last night, Combined with the 5000 avios for £100 offer meaning I got INV - LHR - BEY r/t in Club World for £250 and 22k Avios

There should be no difference in the process as for all intents and purposes it's still a BA flight just wet leased. There is no W E or T class sold for the Air Belgium flight so N upgrades to Business

BA104 & BA105 are the ones operating as Air Belgium here is a sample date from ExpertFlyer

J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 U2 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 N9 O3 G0 :-)

Last edited by cgtechuk; Feb 12, 2019 at 6:59 am
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold

Upgrade price is the difference between the straight redemption price for the two cabins, so whether a cabin in between exists doesn't factor into the calculation. E.g Club is 90k avios and WT is 30k then upgrade price (if allowed by policy) is 60k
armouredant likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:25 am

Called up to do this last night and was given a quote. Thought about it overnight, called back this morning to do it, told it’s impossible. Huaca time...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:51 pm

Called up to do this last night and was given a quote. Thought about it overnight, called back this morning to do it, told it’s impossible. Huaca time...
Called again a few hours later, 20 minute hold, upgraded no problem.

£600 fare (booking class N outbound, S back)
Minus £200 (Amex Travel reward offer)
Plus £249 taxes and charges (oof; £100 of which was APD)
Plus 37,000 avios

I'm not over the moon with how this panned out, but I'm glad of the chance to fly the Air Belgium J product as Club Work, and a bit glad of not having to ex-EU a premium economy fare and UUA again, though that may have been cheaper.

Last edited by armouredant; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.