Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skunker
American Airlines, British Airways, and the Port Authority announced a $344 million renovation and refurbishment project at JFK that will result in the relocation of BA from T7 to American's terminal, T8.

Press coverage:
American Airlines and British Airways Announce $344 Million Terminal 8 Expansion at JFK
JFK Airport’s Terminal 8 to Get $344 Million Renovation (subscription may be required)

Link to thread in FlyerTalk AA forum
Print Wikipost

BA to move into T8 at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Paren
Is it true that BA own T7 (I.e. not just operate out of it but own the building) or not?
It's leased from the Port Authority by BA and thus operated by BA.
Paren likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
BA Press release:

British Airways and American Airlines have a joint business partnership across the Atlantic, providing up to 70 flights a day from London to the USA
70? Really that many?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by richardwft
Are there any clues if there’ll be A380 compatible gates at T8?
…and hopefully the ability to board directly from the lounge, as in the new BA lounge at BOS
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC
This is great news and glad it's come to light. JFK really needs this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
…and hopefully the ability to board directly from the lounge, as in the new BA lounge at BOS
It’s the obvious facility to copy and add in an F/CCR lounge.
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 6, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:54 am

Will this mean the use of A380s on the LHR - JFK route? If so, will BA pick up some of the aircraft which Emirates is reportedly seeking to swap for A350s, 'if the price is right'?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Worcester
70? Really that many?
Note this is the London to US count, not just JFK.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
70? Really that many?
Taking a random week in July, I got to 71
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
Note this is the London to US count, not just JFK.
Yes that would make sense, read it too quickly and got it in my mind it just meant New York.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Paren
Is it true that BA own T7 (I.e. not just operate out of it but own the building) or not?
They only lease the terminal from the Port Authority (who in turn lease it from the City of New York)
Paren likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Yes that would make sense, read it too quickly and got it in my mind it just meant New York.
I think there’s 40 flights a day from London to New York airports across all airlines (if anyones interested?).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
One would assume Aer Lingus will also move to the new T8. Given their impending joining of the joint venture and JetBlue expanding T5 it would seem to make sense
Originally Posted by jdsworld
I wouldn't say it's that likely - don't forget Aer Lingus flights to the US are pre-cleared in Ireland, so are treated differently for US immigration and customs.
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
There’s no gurantee they would move but wouldn’t they just offload into T8 as a domestic flight?
Indeed the vast majority of AA flights to JFK are domestic or pre-cleared, so I don't see why EI being pre-cleared would make it less likely to co-locate. If anything it makes even more sense for EI, since connections to AA would then be absolutely seamless.
mrow and bmibaby737 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The long term plan will hopefully see T8 extended towards the east although going by today's announcement that is clearly much further down the line

Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT

This is what the finished Terminal 8 was supposed to look like when initially conceived. The renderings offered by American today (see below) suggest they are really only adding 2 gates and "re-gating" (aka reducing) some of the regional jet gates to create 3 more wide-body capable gates. Total gate count at T8 will likely stay even or go down. It's about the absolute minimum expansion they could do to accommodate BA. They mention that some of the investment will go towards lounges which in all likelihood means that they will be expanding the current Flagship lounge (while probably rebranding it as a One World lounge). I would not be surprised to see them also offer a dedicated OneWorld First lounge given the relatively large amount of 1st class seats that BA still flies to LHR.

The elimination of the regional jet gates suggests that the number of non-stop domestic locations served by AA from JFK will be reduced, perhaps substantially, which may limit its connecting value to passengers from the UK. This would be in line with AA's move to push more northeast US connecting traffic through PHL. JFK seems destined to become focused almost entirely on O&D traffic for AA in contrast to Delta and JetBlue which both appear to be committed to keeping JFK as a key connecting hub.

Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I guess instead of providing a CCR they could enhance that service... a voucher for a Starbucks Coffee, a 6" subway sandwich, a complimentary browse of The Daily Mail and some wet wipes in lieu of shower facilities. Sort of in line with their current enhancements.
gms likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.