Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most indolent BA flight crew ever?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Honey - I went and looked in the Oxford Concise English Dictionary which I use for my Telegraph cryptic crosswords. It only had the natural history definition - so maybe my dictionary needs to get out a bit more. I absolutely refuse to use vocabulary when I do not understand the meaning of the word. I have only ever seen it on the front of the Tabloid press and usually to do with Brexit. I gather that the term gathered pace in 2016. It is, I gather politicized slang intended as an insult. Anyhow, fascinating as this etymological discussion may be, I have drinks to prepare - and were you to Alicante - I would invite you.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/snowflake

An overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment on account of their supposedly unique characteristics.
PUCCI GALORE and cruisr like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1

An overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment on account of their supposedly unique characteristics.
^
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:59 pm

A couple years ago in BA F LHR-SEA. With the exception of the purser, the crew all looked like they wished they were somewhere else. I had to ask for everything from water refills down to sugar for my tea. I also had to ask for a spoon for that sugar.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by MFCC
I've been trying to avoid commenting on this thread as 'MF vs WW vs EF vs LGW vs Any other airline' has been done to death on here time and time again. It's well established that BA crews are inconsistent, and this is even recognised from within the company.
I will say, though, that just because the rest periods we're given are strictly legal does not mean that they're necessarily suitable in all situations. If I operate, say, a LAS, PHX, SEA or DEN after doing 4 days of shorthaul immediately beforehand then yes - I will absolutely be knackered on the return sector after having just one local night downroute. There's an 8 hour time difference from these destinations and (like it or not) this will absloutely affect customer satisfaction levels. I cannot even put into words how tiring it can be sometimes but I completely accept that it's a job I choose to do.
I also try very hard to avoid commenting on these sorts of threads because, referring to BA crew as a whole, we all work extremely hard. However, I have to agree with MFCC here. Whilst there isn't an excuse for really poor service its difficult to put into words how you will feel after four days of short haul into a long haul such as a 3 day LAS, PHX, DEN, SEA etc. On these trips we get an around 22 - 26 hours downroute, with an 8 hour time change it makes you feel absolutely horrendous. I remember getting ready to come home from a 3 day LAS trip that had been fed into by 3 days of short haul, a PEK, two days off then out to LAS, and feeling drunk as I was getting ready at the hotel to come home. I appreciate that there are plenty of people who work long shift patterns but you really cannot understand this job until you've done it I'm afraid.

Again, as above, this isn't an excuse for poor service. We choose to do this job and should go into it with our eyes open, knowing that it isn't one big holiday (or even one small holiday 99% of the time!) however unfortunately the roster patterns we have, especially as 'experienced' crew, can and do impact on customer satisfaction scores which isn't how it should be.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There does appear to be particular routes where this comes in. The comparison I would draw is with BA95/94, the YUL sector. The crews on that get the one night in Montréal and then straight back again, same as PHX. It's 5 hours different from UK, sometimes only 4 hours. The flight time is 7.5 hours there typically, 6.5 hours back, sometimes under 6 hours. 787 cabin so much better atmosphere, and in some ways less taxing than a IST sector. Then compare that with mind-zonking 777s to say SEA, with a busy cabin given a 09:40 departure from LHR, 8 hour time difference, 9.5 hour flight each way, still one night's sleep - that's a huge difference. HKG to LHR is also challenging, SIN-LHR less so.
PUCCI GALORE and bhdcommuter like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by MFMainCrew
I also try very hard to avoid commenting on these sorts of threads because, referring to BA crew as a whole, we all work extremely hard. However, I have to agree with MFCC here. Whilst there isn't an excuse for really poor service its difficult to put into words how you will feel after four days of short haul into a long haul such as a 3 day LAS, PHX, DEN, SEA etc. On these trips we get an around 22 - 26 hours downroute, with an 8 hour time change it makes you feel absolutely horrendous. I remember getting ready to come home from a 3 day LAS trip that had been fed into by 3 days of short haul, a PEK, two days off then out to LAS, and feeling drunk as I was getting ready at the hotel to come home. I appreciate that there are plenty of people who work long shift patterns but you really cannot understand this job until you've done it I'm afraid.

Again, as above, this isn't an excuse for poor service. We choose to do this job and should go into it with our eyes open, knowing that it isn't one big holiday (or even one small holiday 99% of the time!) however unfortunately the roster patterns we have, especially as 'experienced' crew, can and do impact on customer satisfaction scores which isn't how it should be.
I totally understand what you are saying, I know as a passenger, sometimes if I have a bad sleep on a flight, I can have that "drunk" feeling caused by jetlag and that is after one overnight.
It does beg the question, are you being given sufficient recovery time for safety reasons, slow reactions in an emergency situation could make all the difference, but in the current climate I don't suppose BA or any other airline will ease the schedules to provide a better working pattern.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by simons1

That is an excellent description also for the DYKWIA -ers! Now it has to be said that my Dictionary is not new and it is a real one with a spine, pages, hardback covers and a dust jacket. It does not define this. Now I know and - I did go into Wikipedia as well as I really had no knowledge of what it meant and where it came from - although my guess was that it was not a compliment and I was right.

I'd still invite you to drinks in Alicante irrespective.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:40 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
That is an excellent description also for the DYKWIA -ers!
Funnily enough, that was absolutely my first thought as well.

I personally wouldn't have applied it in the first place - I'm quite sure that nobody would go into a cabin crew role with the mindset that poor customer service is excusable, and I doubt anybody who did think that would make it through the training anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:44 am

That is an excellent description also for the DYKWIA -ers! Now it has to be said that my Dictionary is not new and it is a real one with a spine, pages, hardback covers and a dust jacket. It does not define this. Now I know and - I did go into Wikipedia as well as I really had no knowledge of what it meant and where it came from - although my guess was that it was not a compliment and I was right.

I'd still invite you to drinks in Alicante irrespective.
Very kind of you, alas I haven't been at large on the Costa Blanca for some time.

I remember the castle being a pleasant outing though?
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You need to get yourself down there, not many get invited to Pucci Towers, I guarantee it will be an eye opening experience.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You need to get yourself down there, not many get invited to Pucci Towers, I guarantee it will be an eye opening experience.
Is Pucci Towers the castle? Will I be chucked in the moat in my BA PJs?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
PHX is literally next door to LAX, I cannot comprehend MF crew doing an 11hr hour flight and getting only one night downtime before doing an overnighter back home, that is gruelling to say the least.
flygirl68 and Tottie66 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:45 am

My eyes first read that as “eye watering”! 😂
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
You are a quick learner, Grasshopper.

It is always the customer's fault. Don't ask for more than a thimbleful of gruel (flat, warm, indifferent champagne). Stay the hell away from the call button, if you know what is good for you. 😑
Oy AnaTravel the ever green Uncle T can teach us all a lot !

Time was, god forbid you took the CUSTOMER's side. But the tide is turning. More members are thinking like us. All I have evr maintained is give me what you promise in return of what you promise ! If not, most of us vote with out wallets & feet.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Last Flyertalker to get an invite was Phil the Flyer....he hasn't been seen since.

Hope the old boy is okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.