Wiki Posts
Search

Most indolent BA flight crew ever?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by xenole
I fly BA a bit so I'm well aware that no special treatment exists on that airline

About 11 people out of 30 in my WT+ cabin at present and I still bet time restraints prevent the crew managing anything!
Oh princess, stop being a snowflake
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm sure there's some truth in that.

The writing was on the wall years before even Willie Walsh arrived at BA.....that's why he was hired after all. I would suggest those who compare new BA to old BA are always going to be disappointed in certain areas of todays product. Time has moved on.
The attitude of cc has changed in many respects certainly. It's a people thing as much as cut backs.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ttama
Would you expect any other profession to perform badly because they work unsociable hours? Or your loved ones to be grumpy or abusive? Air crew aren't special snowflakes. If they can't hack it, it's simply not the right job for them. Lots of people find they can't work shifts; there's no shame in it, some people just can't hack it.

If a CSD sees they have crew members who can't hack it, surely they need to have a quiet word in someone's ear?
If work hours anomaly resulted in grumpy or poor service this world would be in a permanent chaos!

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Do explain - what is this word "snowflake"? I have seen it used by the Tabloid press but as I am not into Street Speak I can hazard a guess but I really do not know. If you mean that they are delicate - why not say so?

As for my loved ones being grumpy - well that is a fact of life when HI is sleep deprived. No, that's unfair - he gets peevish. He'll not admit it but after 33 years of marriage. I do not expect people to perform badly when working unsociable hours, but I am not surprised when they do not perform as well either. I am not defending poor service but looking for possible reasons. Do remember that I understand the problem - both of us worked all sorts of unsociable hours. He was in the police for many years. I just hope that no one thought that my performance suffered because of the hours that we flew.
Your better half and you got married for love as most of us do. S0 we understand and try our best, often couples divorce if they cannot cope with it. Buying a service or goods is a business transaction. Money is exchanged. No excuses allowed for poor service or shoddy merchandise. BTW I do understand what a snowflake is.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Little that could be argued with here.

We do sometimes see too many leaves-on-the-line type of excuses (whether or not in the guise of an ‘explanation’) for poor service : ranging from MF v WW crews ...... the wrong route ....the wrong aircraft ...... the wrong timing, day v night.

I’ve always been of the simplistic view that if a First class seat has been booked, then First class standards should be maintained. Every time.
Yes I too sense subtle innocuous sounding "excuses" produced with a lot of "maybes" when one sees a negative mention. No harm we all have rights to express what we think, feel.
BTW not familiar with this " too many leaves-on-the-line type of excuses".
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nivsy
The attitude of cc has changed in many respects certainly. It's a people thing as much as cut backs.
I suspect being cabin crew is no longer as desirable a career as it used to be since air travel has become so affordable. The service industry has changed enormously during my lifetime.
cruisr, Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suspect being cabin crew is no longer as desirable a career as it used to be since air travel has become so affordable. The service industry has changed enormously during my lifetime.
Indeed! Society has changed, air travel has changed, the economy has changed. And, dare I say, the whole work ethos has changed for many people out there.
cruisr, HIDDY and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I think the opposite. Why would an 18 year old choose to become cabin crew unless they really wanted to? Hard work, relatively low pay, and a gruelling schedule. The old days of a flight to New York, 3 or 4 days off before heading back, are long gone.

I was on a MAN-FCO flight last year on Jet2. I was talking to the purser (or whatever they are called on Jet2) and she loved her job. It was quite amusing, as she said she'd never been on a long haul flight (as crew or a passenger), and was hoping she'd be able to get onto one of the Jet2 MAN-JFK flights they do at Christmas. Even if it meant only a couple of nights downroute! She was mid-30s (my estimate)... and still loving the job.

It was also interesting that she said she'd never had any issues with passengers (other than the IBZ flights being a bit boisterous).
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by T8191
Indeed! Society has changed, air travel has changed, the economy has changed. And, dare I say, the whole work ethos has changed for many people out there.
Alas the advertising slogans have not.
cruisr, Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by simons1
Nothing to do with tabloid or street speak. It is in the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries.

You need to get out a bit more 😉
Honey - I went and looked in the Oxford Concise English Dictionary which I use for my Telegraph cryptic crosswords. It only had the natural history definition - so maybe my dictionary needs to get out a bit more. I absolutely refuse to use vocabulary when I do not understand the meaning of the word. I have only ever seen it on the front of the Tabloid press and usually to do with Brexit. I gather that the term gathered pace in 2016. It is, I gather politicized slang intended as an insult. Anyhow, fascinating as this etymological discussion may be, I have drinks to prepare - and were you closer to Alicante - I would invite you.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Honey - I went and looked in the Oxford Concise English Dictionary which I use for my Telegraph cryptic crosswords. It only had the natural history definition - so maybe my dictionary needs to get out a bit more. I absolutely refuse to use vocabulary when I do not understand the meaning of the word. I have only ever seen it on the front of the Tabloid press and usually to do with Brexit. I gather that the term gathered pace in 2016. It is, I gather politicized slang intended as an insult. Anyhow, fascinating as this etymological discussion may be, I have drinks to prepare - and were you closer to Alicante - I would invite you.
Not necessarily tabloid or street speak but, as you say, usually associated with a political leaning. I noticed it first in insults bandied round after Donald Trump was elected and it gradually spread to the UK from late 2016.

But, more importantly, enjoy your drinks!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by binman
In my case the crew were the opposite on a LHR CAI. Drinks and meal completed in under 90 minutes. Raid the larder stripped bare in under 3 hours and crew vanished into F cabin that at least 6 of us had been decanted from st the gate.
add to this a filthy disgusting 787 and you have an airline that is simply incapable of living up to the hyperbole it peddles in TV ads.

i have an F redemption soon and then it star alliance for a change, for seriously lower fares and direct aisle access in business.
The LHR CAI route is one of the worst on BA. The planes are switched according to season and demand. The last time I flew this route F was a staff rest area with a few Flub lottery winners thrown in. BA fly planes with F seats at times but no longer offer F service. CAI-LHR flat, warm champagne offerings are predictably frequent. The problem is that there are few J alternatives that suit my travel needs due to various regional issues. The blockade in the ME means hopping to other countries to avoid BA from Cairo is more of a pain for leisure travellers. The new EK lounge at Cairo offers a first class experience that would make transiting through DBX more attractive.

I agree that poor attitude to customers is a result of poor supervision. training or disciplinary measures. Having a proportion of excellent staff is not good enough if that is the smallest percentage.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load

We do sometimes see too many leaves-on-the-line type of excuses (whether or not in the guise of an ‘explanation’) for poor service : ranging from MF v WW crews ...... the wrong route ....the wrong aircraft ...... the wrong timing, day v night.
You omitted the most important factor:

The wrong customers.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
You omitted the most important factor:

The wrong customers.
OMG ... it’s OUR fault? Thank <Deity> we just tuck ourselves quietly in our seats and never, ever, press the Call button,
HMPS, AnaTravel and peter h like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:51 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T8191
OMG ... it’s OUR fault? Thank <Deity> we just tuck ourselves quietly in our seats and never, ever, press the Call button,
You are a quick learner, Grasshopper.

It is always the customer's fault. Don't ask for more than a thimbleful of gruel (flat, warm, indifferent champagne). Stay the hell away from the call button, if you know what is good for you. 😑
Silver Fox and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I think its more quoted in the sense of the ‘snowflake generation’

Snowflake generation definition: the generation of people who became adults in the 2010s, viewed as being less resilient.

In the context of this thread I think the implication is the MF are young crew who wouldnt have the same work ethic as the ‘oldies’
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Varies
I used the term "snowflake", in this case, to describe those who have an inflated sense of their own uniqueness. Working for an airline doesn't give you an excuse to provide poor customer service. Many of us here have flown long distance, arrived tired and jetlagged, and had to go straight to client meetings. We can't afford to piss the clients off, however bad we feel. Airline crew aren't special, they're doing a job they've chosen to do. If they don't feel capable of doing it well, they should find something that suits them better. It really annoys me (and I'm sure many others) to hear people blaming the job itself for their poor performance.
cruisr, Silver Fox and HMPS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.