Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most indolent BA flight crew ever?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
In my case the crew were the opposite on a LHR CAI. Drinks and meal completed in under 90 minutes. Raid the larder stripped bare in under 3 hours and crew vanished into F cabin that at least 6 of us had been decanted from st the gate.
add to this a filthy disgusting 787 and you have an airline that is simply incapable of living up to the hyperbole it peddles in TV ads.

i have an F redemption soon and then it star alliance for a change, for seriously lower fares and direct aisle access in business.
NoY, HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ttama
Would you expect any other profession to perform badly because they work unsociable hours? Or your loved ones to be grumpy or abusive? Air crew aren't special snowflakes. If they can't hack it, it's simply not the right job for them. Lots of people find they can't work shifts; there's no shame in it, some people just can't hack it.

If a CSD sees they have crew members who can't hack it, surely they need to have a quiet word in someone's ear?
Do explain - what is this word "snowflake"? I have seen it used by the Tabloid press but as I am not into Street Speak I can hazard a guess but I really do not know. If you mean that they are delicate - why not say so?

As for my loved ones being grumpy - well that is a fact of life when HI is sleep deprived. No, that's unfair - he gets peevish. He'll not admit it but after 33 years of marriage. I do not expect people to perform badly when working unsociable hours, but I am not surprised when they do not perform as well either. I am not defending poor service but looking for possible reasons. Do remember that I understand the problem - both of us worked all sorts of unsociable hours. He was in the police for many years. I just hope that no one thought that my performance suffered because of the hours that we flew.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I just hope that no one thought that my performance suffered because of the hours that we flew.
From what I've gathered here on FT, you have always performed admirably, by day and night.
cruisr likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
Would you expect any other profession to perform badly because they work unsociable hours? Or your loved ones to be grumpy or abusive? Air crew aren't special snowflakes. If they can't hack it, it's simply not the right job for them. Lots of people find they can't work shifts; there's no shame in it, some people just can't hack it.

If a CSD sees they have crew members who can't hack it, surely they need to have a quiet word in someone's ear?
Little that could be argued with here.

We do sometimes see too many leaves-on-the-line type of excuses (whether or not in the guise of an ‘explanation’) for poor service : ranging from MF v WW crews ...... the wrong route ....the wrong aircraft ...... the wrong timing, day v night.

I’ve always been of the simplistic view that if a First class seat has been booked, then First class standards should be maintained. Every time.
cruisr, MarkLHR, nivsy and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Little that could be argued with here.

We do sometimes see too many leaves-on-the-line type of excuses (whether or not in the guise of an ‘explanation’) for poor service : ranging from MF v WW crews ...... the wrong route ....the wrong aircraft ...... the wrong timing, day v night.

I’ve always been of the simplistic view that if a First class seat has been booked, then First class standards should be maintained. Every time.
Excellent post. Maybe I will say to BA I have bought the wrong type of ticket. Wrong flying time due to scheduling constraints of the airline. Dont like any of the food selection. Seat dirty or perhaps broken. I can see logic in reducing that first ticket to the price of Y. They should always offer the service the service they advertise and if crew cannot handle it, change career lovies like the rest of us.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Do explain - what is this word "snowflake"? I have seen it used by the Tabloid press but as I am not into Street Speak I can hazard a guess but I really do not know. If you mean that they are delicate - why not say so?...
It is a derogatory term used to describe an overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment - rather like quite a few contributors on here

cruisr, HIDDY and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Defined here >>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=Snowflake
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Do explain - what is this word "snowflake"? I have seen it used by the Tabloid press but as I am not into Street Speak I can hazard a guess but I really do not know. If you mean that they are delicate - why not say so?

@ PUCCI - not so much ‘street speak’, but it’s true that it has only gained traction in fairly recent times.

I think for many (though not all) of its usages, one could reasonably substitute the word wimp.
cruisr, Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:26 am

Nothing to do with tabloid or street speak. It is in the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries.

You need to get out a bit more 😉
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Blue
I fly 5-6 times a year LHR - West Coast in WT and am always thrilled when I am met at the door by a WW crew. MF crew are generally very friendly and cheerful but, in my experience, simply lack the professionalism and passion of the more mature crews. My theory is that any crew member who has done the job for years must love it and 99% of the time it shows in the standard of service they give. PS They invariably love being told how happy I am to have "an experienced crew" on!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by subject2load

@ PUCCI - not so much ‘street speak’, but it’s true that it has only gained traction in fairly recent times.

I think for many (though not all) of its usages, one could reasonably substitute the word wimp.
Or wuss. Again a word present in the OED.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by AKGAZ
My theory is that any crew member who has done the job for years must love it and 99% of the time it shows in the standard of service they give.
It is the golden handcuffs retaining some WW crew at BA, not the love of the job.
Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It is the golden handcuffs retaining some WW crew at BA, not the love of the job.
I'm sure there's some truth in that.

The writing was on the wall years before even Willie Walsh arrived at BA.....that's why he was hired after all. I would suggest those who compare new BA to old BA are always going to be disappointed in certain areas of todays product. Time has moved on.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

It is a derogatory term used to describe an overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment - rather like quite a few contributors on here

I fly BA a bit so I'm well aware that no special treatment exists on that airline

About 11 people out of 30 in my WT+ cabin at present and I still bet time restraints prevent the crew managing anything!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by binman
i have an F redemption soon and then it star alliance for a change, for seriously lower fares and direct aisle access in business.
That must be the millionth time I read that from you... You must be a glutton for punishment to keep going back to BA as every flight you have is terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.