Search

Most indolent BA flight crew ever?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Most indolent BA flight crew ever?

BA288 PHX LHR Feb 4 CW

Flew home upstairs on an aged 747 on Monday night. An appallingly indolent crew took an hour to get drinks out after t/o then rushed the meals before hitting the lights out switch and hiding in the galley for the duration. An hour before landing I asked for a cuppa. "It's all been put away!" They couldn't even be arsed to issue the hot towels.

I wasn't the only one to complain. Several passengers in the (3/4 full) cabin had sharp words with the CSM. Nothing to do with cost cutting, everything to do with crew attitude and supervision.

The crew on the MAN 1398 shuttle yesterday could have worked for a different business. Excellent. Organised. Friendly.

And while I'm at it...... Flew out three weeks ago in F (first ever F flight on BA, 4 PAX including me and Mrs W). Not as good as QR business class - or LH or TG F. Popped my head around the door of the BA F lounge at T3 before retreating to the CX haven, as advised by fellow FTers. Thanks for the tip all. Good advice, as the F lounge at BA's hub is underwhelming. On the plus side, the food in the T5S CW lounge yesterday seemed better than at recent visits and a member of staff was walking around with a tray full of fizz, a nice touch.
Silver Fox and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Doesn't sound good !

Our regular CIHY confirmed recently that only one hotel towel is now service standard...
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sound like my last LGW-CPT crew (I know, wrong fleet). From my TR ... “A full CW cabin, and on our side the most detached and miserable CSD and CC we’ve ever met. Slow and robotic is the kindest things to say about them … not a smile or anything disturbed a totally mechanical ‘service’.”
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Never good to hear - the crew do make a big difference of enjoyment on board !

** Had to Google Indolent **
cruisr, VSLover, SFO777 and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
yep, so much is about the crew - a crew like the excellent JFK Club World crew I had the other day make Club World a pleasure; a bad one make it miserable

I've also found the PHX return trips pretty lack-lustre - maybe it's just a long flight and a short turnaround leaving the crew tired and unwilling, but it's pretty horrible when it happens
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct only one towel now, interesting that both of these flights are the Mixed Fleet which shows that there are as inconsistent as the other fleet supposedly are.
dddc and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Ive had similar experiences on the PHX route and was relieved that AA are operating the early flight this year. I prefer the timings and the AA plane to the clapped out 744, however the BA flight is better timed for the return and upstairs in CW is the best sleep option, despite any shoddy crew service you might receive.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Gold
i decided to read this thread just due to the word indolent being in the title. One of my favourite words.

OP-your crew sounds disgraceful. If I were in management relating to customer service at BA I would be blushing red while reading your treatment.
cruisr, HMPS and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Let me say, please, that such bad crew as reported here are FAR from typical. With 0.25m miles under my BA belt, I feel entitled to say that poor crew are the exception. Most are average, some are very good ... and a mercifully small number are decidedly sub-par.

Let’s not tar them all with the same brush.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mapleg
i decided to read this thread just due to the word indolent being in the title. One of my favourite words.

OP-your crew sounds disgraceful. If I were in management relating to customer service at BA I would be blushing red while reading your treatment.
True, unless one speaks up about shortcomings of employees, how cam management know & correct it ?

BTW one blushes red in anger or shame?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
True, unless one speaks up about shortcomings of employees, how cam management know & correct it ?

I think shame in this case.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

In order to restore the topic and return the attention towards the issues wyddfa raised in the opening post, sixteen posts have been removed from view.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by HMPS

BA management are hardly going to admit their introduction of MF crew on lower wages and worse conditions are negatively impacting service levels....
On one of my MF F flights I had to show the young man where 2F was as he was trying to put me into the middle aisle. Then when I got there somebody was in my seat having being invited to sit there by the crew.
The whole flight the crew reminded me of secondary school interns - young and full of enthusiasm but not a clue.
That was my last F flight paid for by cash, 3 years ago. I didn't waste my time complaining to BA, I simply chose another airline and will not return to paid F for many moons.
cruisr, HMPS, Dover2Golf and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
On one of my MF F flights I had to show the young man where 2F was as he was trying to put me into the middle aisle.
I may be wrong, but isn't 2F on BA in First always a middle aisle seat?

Doc Copper
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
I may be wrong, but isn't 2F on BA in First always a middle aisle seat?

Doc Copper
Probably me that was wrong. Anyway middle aisle I was shown to , window seat I had booked, and somebody was sitting there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.