Using UK & EU passports after Brexit

Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Relatively few countries have that rule - the US and Canada are the two best known countries.

In general, I wouldn't sweat it on Brexit with passports (I too have an EU and a British/ soon to be non-EU passport). Either it will all be fine and there's nothing to worry about, or it will be a disaster and so you entering the UK on an EU passport is going to be the least of anyone's worries. Based on yesterday's announcement they won't bother checking trucks coming into Dover maybe they'll just get rid of immigration for a while. At least "we'll have control of our borders"
the810, Dover2Golf and Tafflyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
UK and Ireland are not part of Schengen and neither of them have any intention of joining. Both have separate visa requirements.
Yes; And the Schengen countries can decide which country's citizens may enter Schengen without a visa (for tourism/business/private).
Ukraine, Japan, USA etc. are on a so-called "positive list".
UK is not (according to my recollection). Hence, formally UK-citizens will have the same (or even less) immigration rights into Schengen as Indian, Nigerian or Chinese citizens.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
I believe Council of the EU has already approved adding UK on the list of countries with visa-free access to Schengen area (as long as UK reciprocates). I'm just not sure if it also needs to pass through parliament or not.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by the810
I believe Council of the EU has already approved adding UK on the list of countries with visa-free access to Schengen area (as long as UK reciprocates). I'm just not sure if it also needs to pass through parliament or not.
Correct, that has been recently agreed. The headlines were all about Gibraltar's "colony" wording, but the real story behind it was that Council has approved (at ambassador level) for the 90/180 day Schengen arrangement, and has told Tusk to negotiate approval with Parliament. Normally this would go through on the nod, seeing that Council has approved.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I have observed this law-making process for the visa-free regime for Ukraine quite a while.
The approval of the European Council (ambassador level) is not sufficient that a visa free regime is legally in place. Between the final ratification and implementation it also takes some time.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the OP - yes you are fortunate to retain your right to travel live and work in the EU. Many of us have lost that...

I did travel with two UK passports for a period and so long as the details match at check in, there seemed no issue using a different passport at immigration on arrival.
rossmacd and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would have thought the number of BA customers this will have any negative effect on must be very small. For those it does a weekend trip back to the UK every so often will solve the problem.

My wife has three passports. I got fed up swapping details on bookings as no two passports have her under the same name.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
With Brexit looming I availed of my right to hold an Irish Passport.

Ireland also has a separate Passport Card which is credit card sized and valid for travel within the EU/EEA/CH. It’s easier to slip into the front of my man bag and I use it for most travel with BA in Europe.

But I also bring my UK passport and when I arrive at LHR or LCY I make a decision based on length of queue whether to use e-gates with the UK passport or the Irish Passport Card with an immigration officer.

I’ve never had a problem travelling on one (all duly entered on API with BA) and coming into U.K. with the other.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
I think you’re over analysing the API part. It really doesn’t matter to BA - all they want it for is a TIMATIC check that you don’t need a visa. Put in your API and choose your passport according to the country you arrive in. That’s what I plan to do (same as you duwl UK/EU)
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
I think you’re over analysing the API part. It really doesn’t matter to BA - all they want it for is a TIMATIC check that you don’t need a visa.
No, I don't think that is correct. AIUI, API is collected for transmission to (typically) the country of departure and/or the country of destination so that those countries have advance notice of who is on the flight.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my question. I am very grateful.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:41 pm

Any idea what happens to EU/EEA/CH queues? Will only British citizens be eligible to use them? Will the UK require landing cards for EU citizens?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Some person
Any idea what happens to EU/EEA/CH queues? Will only British citizens be eligible to use them? Will the UK require landing cards for EU citizens?
Not likely. Can you imagine the queues if they did! UK is planning to add US, Can, Aus, NZ, Jpn to the eGates by the summer. Moving EU/EEA/CH to the manual processing queue cannot be anything more than a negotiating ploy.
--
13F
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Some person
Landing cards are going altogether as soon as the relevant minister signs off on it - current uncertainty is probably holding up that one, but it shouldn't be long now. UK Arrivals don't have the staff or infrastructure other than to funnel EEA+CH via the e-gates, so that won't change. Some trusted countries will be added to the list of e-gate users gradually, starting with USA, Japan and most Commonwealth Realms - I doubt that can all happen this year however, there's a lot more work needed on interfaces. In mainland Europe if there is a Deal then no change there for at least 2 years and probably a lot longer. Looking at most countries' No Deal planning it mainly hinges on reciprocity, so that suggests relatively few changes other than that Schengen countries will have to ensure the rolling 90 days are tracked by the computer (so may add a few seconds to processing time per passenger).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by CoweyB
Ireland also has a separate Passport Card which is credit card sized and valid for travel within the EU/EEA/CH. It’s easier to slip into the front of my man bag and I use it for most travel with BA in Europe.
Oh, yes! As with my Swiss ID card. And probably for other EU/EEA states too.

The Swiss ID card serves perfectly well for 'picture ID' requests in the US. Oh, and no anti-GB/US visa payment for Turkey with card or passport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.