Hold temperatures for checked luggage

Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ptr120
I think you'll find that the Sake needs to be served cold but it won't matter if it isn't transported cold.
google nama sake.
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
I confess to knowing nothing of Sake...but I do know that you shouldn't put a slab of bottled beer in the unpressurised, unheated hold in the nose of a small private jet tucked in just above all the avionics.
Mrs Y and I went to a sake "brewery" near Hiroshima a few years back. I remember our hosts explaining (and demonstrating through sampling) how many different types there were. Next thing I know I was in Tokyo, a day later. I didn't once think about bringing any home.
tinkicker likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:54 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
My experience with transporting liquids is that occasionally bad things happen, so pack them well and have a waterproof boundary between them and the rest of your luggage. I have had a bottle of rum, a bottle of medical distilled water and a bottle of mint mouthwash all go kaboom over the years (but usually been successful).

Last edited by DeathSlam; Feb 5, 2019 at 11:54 am Reason: Removed quote as OP mentioned it
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Returning from a skiing holiday with a friend he had bought a brand new Rimowa whilst on holiday. As it arrived on the baggage carousel the suitcase, which had been checked in normally, was now contained inside a large clear plastic bag. My first thought was that is so nice of the baggage handlers to take extra care of my friends new suitcase.

Not at all - it turned out he had a leaking bottle of wine inside! After a heavy night of drinking he packed the bottle... completely unwrapped next to his ski boots!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA
Depends on the aircraft type, but nothing gets unreasonably cold.

Contrary to some belief, all the holds are pressurised.

Most aircraft have one of the holds heated, ducted with the passenger cabin. This is the one that live animals are carried in, and anything else that needs the temperature. Whether your baggage is also in there is a chance, hence the different experiences.

The remaining holds are not heated, saves fuel. Their temperature depends on how many containers are in there and, of course, the flight duration. If it's filled, the temperature does stay reasonably close to what it was at departure, only dropping a degree or two per hour. If only part filled, it tends to drop a bit quicker. But nothing too untoward. bags are (sometimes ) delivered in less than an hour from the aircraft being at altitude, they do not come out frozen stiff, nor do the contents. Water bottles in bags do not freeze and burst. Broken bottles, due to rough baggage handling or bags rolling in turbulence inside a container only part filled are of course something else.

For bulk loaded bags (not at Heathrow T5 where it is all containerised) bags delivered wet, hot, etc are generally because they have been left outside after unloading.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I have had a bottle of rum, a bottle of medical distilled water and a bottle of mint mouthwash all go kaboom over the years (but usually been successful).
Decent rum? I've transported some quite expensive bottles, but thankfully not had any leak as of yet!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:55 pm

I've never had problems with temperature for travelling delicate items chocolate. The biggest problem I found was actually checking in too early and the luggage is sent to storage somewhere hot.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In terms of cold packing materials, sealed ice packs of water ice are rarely a problem in the hold. Restrictions apply to various cold-gas systems like dry ice, liquid nitrogen, etc.

The standard packaging bubble wrap is both good cushioning and an excellent insulator. In this sort of situation I would place some ice packs, if I could get them, next to the item to be chilled and wrap it all in layers (several cm thick in total) of bubble wrap. Tape the edges closed and place the package in the center of your luggage.

It can be helpful to tape the closure of the bottle to ensure it does not work its way open in flight. An impromptu ice pack can be created by freezing a small plastic bottle of water - do tape the closure of that bottle too!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ptr120
I think you'll find that the Sake needs to be served cold but it won't matter if it isn't transported cold.
Oh, no. Unpasteurised sake MUST be kept chilled. Interestingly some sake producers also insist that pasteurised ones are stored refrigerated, but I dont think it matters (for periods up to a year). I would also recommend to find out the best serving temperature for each sake (and depending on food); you will find that some sakes give their best at room temperature or slightly warm.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:47 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flying_pig
pasteurised ones are stored refrigerated,
I went to The Sake Shop in Hong Kong (she was very surprised to get a customer as most of her trade is online). All her stock appeared to be stored in fridges, even the stuff meant to be drunk unchilled.
Would be interested to know specifically what brands the OP is interested in, but that might be better in a food thread.

My rum that exploded was duty free so not expensive, but when all your clothes for the conference are in the same bag...
RG1X likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.