Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA serves drunk pax until comatose, refuses to remove him from emergency exit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA serves drunk pax until comatose, refuses to remove him from emergency exit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by subject2load
In reality his condition was such that he wasn’t even fit to utter a word in response [...]
Neither you nor I were there so we don’t know what the ‘in reality’ situation was.
navylad likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It would be an interesting experiment to not allow alcohol to be had/offered in the lounge or on board if you are in the exit row.

What proportion of people who are entitled to free exit row seating would no longer place themselves there?
you’d just smuggle your vodka in a bottle of Evian!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:30 pm

I hope the 'old boy' had a pleasant and relaxing flight.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:29 pm

I would be interested to hear what BA have to say about the incident
Dover2Golf and djbenedict like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by subject2load

If the extent of his investigation was as cursory and ineffective as the equivalent ‘investigation’ carried out by CC (unlikely) then yes, I would indeed wish to question the decision.

The CC apparently asked the passenger involved, repeatedly, whether he was fit to assist if required. In reality his condition was such that he wasn’t even fit to utter a word in response, but the CC were satisfied with an assurance given on his behalf - and then walked away. The fact that they were wearing a uniform and were thus exercising ‘professional’ judgement would - in those precise circumstances - do nothing to reassure me from a safety perspective. But perhaps others would be happy.
So, despite not being there and not interacting with the passenger like the CC did, you’ve come to the conclusion that the investigation was ‘cursory and ineffective’? Impressive!

‘In reality’ his condition was such that you have no idea what his condition was since you weren’t there. The OP indicated that he was asleep. I also find it difficult to respond when I’m asleep.

BA rules state that one must be physically fit and able to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency and that they must be willing to assist, and that they are able to read and understand English. I haven’t read anything in the OP’s account to suggest that he didn’t fulfil these conditions. It doesn’t say you cannot drink and it doesn’t say that you cannot be asleep. He was apparently elderly, but that’s such a relative term as to be almost meaningless and when pressed, the OP still couldn’t give an idea of how old he was.

There was also also nothing to suggest that he was unable to walk off the plane at the end of the flight. On the basis that that occurred only a few minutes after the landing (the critical time according to the OP) it’s reasonable to assume that he’d be able to get out of the exit in an emergency a couple of minutes earlier. I imagine in the event of an emergency he’d probably wake up fairly promptly. Of course I wasn’t there so I don’t know for sure.
navylad likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Saladman

BA rules state that one must be physically fit and able to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency and that they must be willing to assist, and that they are able to read and understand English. I haven’t read anything in the OP’s account to suggest that he didn’t fulfil these conditions. It doesn’t say you cannot drink and it doesn’t say that you cannot be asleep. He was apparently elderly, but that’s such a relative term as to be almost meaningless and when pressed, the OP still couldn’t give an idea of how old he was.

There was also also nothing to suggest that he was unable to walk off the plane at the end of the flight. On the basis that that occurred only a few minutes after the landing (the critical time according to the OP) it’s reasonable to assume that he’d be able to get out of the exit in an emergency a couple of minutes earlier. I imagine in the event of an emergency he’d probably wake up fairly promptly. Of course I wasn’t there so I don’t know for sure.
Indeed. I know for some people BA has magical properties, however it appears they have helped a passenger who was unconscious at landing make a great recovery and leave the plane unaided. Remarkable.

As for the rest of it, well plenty of rushing to judgement, however the only person who knows the facts was the OP who only raised it at the last minute and didn't feel a need to escalate beyond a cursory reply from the CSM.
navylad and Saladman like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Of course I wasn’t there so I don’t know for sure.
No, you weren’t there. And nor was I.

But based on the same report by the OP which we have all seen, you have made your own assumptions and conclusions - just as I, and others, have done. It so happens that the various assumptions are all rather different.

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Neither you nor I were there so we don’t know what the ‘in reality’ situation was.
We have of course all read the very same report of the incident as set out by the OP. However, based on that reading, we have, quite frankly, formed very different views.

My view (and of several others) is that there was a potential threat to passenger safety, and one which was handled in an unsatisfactory manner by cabin crew. Hence my previous comments, including one in which I say to the OP “there is good reason to follow up via appropriate channels, as already suggested by several posters upthread”

Your view (and of several others) is that there was no potential threat to safety, and that the whole matter was handled in a satisfactory manner by cabin crew. Hence your comment to the OP (regarding the question of taking things further) that “you raise it with no one”.

During the brief exchange which took place once the a/c had landed, the OP was clearly not happy with the tone and reaction of the CSD : “She was completely dismissive, and said it didn't matter as he was not seated by the window”. You, in contrast, imply that this response should have been good enough for the OP, when you say “the OP raised this with the crew, who decided it was not an unsafe situation”.

So there we have it. One report, but producing rather different perspectives.

For me, it has been uncomfortable (and perhaps also a little surprising) to see - within a thread intended to highlight safety-related requirements in respect of emergency exit row seating - even a small number of posts / likes with flippant references to alcohol ; and with more interest in whether or not the passenger in question enjoyed his flight, than any hint of concern for the many others whose safety could be put at risk.

After a number of posts in which I have said all I wish to contribute on the subject, I feel it’s the right time to drop out of the discussion.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:19 am

Actually it wasn’t me that said ‘you raise it with no-one’. Also, as a point of pedantry, the OP did say it was a Mixed Fleet route which would mean it would have been a CSM rather than a CSD, though of course the role is similar.

As to the safety aspect, I find it surprising that people are so concerned about something that is so unlikely to happen.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Actually it wasn’t me that said ‘you raise it with no-one’. Also, as a point of pedantry, the OP did say it was a Mixed Fleet route which would mean it would have been a CSM rather than a CSD, though of course the role is similar.

As to the safety aspect, I find it surprising that people are so concerned about something that is so unlikely to happen.
This is the trouble with hyperbole of many posters with respect to aviation safety; they are concerned with something so unlikely whilst the oft ignore the likely, perhaps they would like to see the end of travellators for instance (far more likely to kill you than someone sat in an exit row who may be unable to open an exit which can of course happen irrespective of their serum alcohol level).

At the end end of the day, if the OP isn’t satisfied he can escalate it, we may not in his situation and may come to very different conclusions and there is unlikely to be any change as a result from BA or the CAA whose aim it is to manage risk appropriately.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally think it's unfair on the employees involved especially in cases where they can be identified.
Something those at FT should be looking at maybe?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:12 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I personally think it's unfair on the employees involved especially in cases where they can be identified.
Something those at FT should be looking at maybe?
Internet Brands has a privacy policy. FT has a privacy rule. We often redact posts which contain too much personal information about BA employees.

I don't see that anything written here identifies any of the individual crew members - we don't know the flight date, origin or flight number. We certainly don't have a name. It could be literally anyone the OP has referred to.

/mod
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Internet Brands has a privacy policy. FT has a privacy rule. We often redact posts which contain too much personal information about BA employees.

I don't see that anything written here identifies any of the individual crew members - we don't know the flight date, origin or flight number. We certainly don't have a name. It could be literally anyone the OP has referred to.

/mod
There are clues though.
The Most indolent BA flight crew ever? thread gives enough flight information to identify the crew involved.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by HIDDY
There are clues though.
The Most indolent BA flight crew ever? thread gives enough flight information to identify the crew involved.
indeed although I’m struggling to think of a 5 hour flight from anywhere in Europe to LHR let alone one operated by MF, on a Monday and in Feb.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by navylad
indeed although I’m struggling to think of a 5 hour flight from anywhere in Europe to LHR let alone one operated by MF, on a Monday and in Feb.
I can think of at least one...
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:37 am

The Europe bit may be artistic liicence. Beirut, Amman, Tel Aviv and Moscow are all on SH aircraft I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.