Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA serves drunk pax until comatose, refuses to remove him from emergency exit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA serves drunk pax until comatose, refuses to remove him from emergency exit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I really don't see anything wrong with questioning the judgement of the crew when you consider they are behaving in a way that is unsafe. I have done it in the course of the last 12 months over an issue in the emergency exit row and was deemed to be correct in doing it. It's all very well staying silent until something goes wrong.
Who deamed you to be correct, if it Customer Services, I would take that with a significant pinch of salt.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I'm going to save my sermon until I hear the other side of the story... :-)
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Many accidents investigated after they have occurred reveal a series of seemingly minor unrelated events allowing an accident to slip through; I think investigators refer to this as the Swiss Cheese Model. This is recognised widely in aviation and I would be very surprised if BA did not welcome your account: similar circumstances in the future could be a contributing factor to a catastrophic event and the safety culture in any part of the aviation industry operates in a very mature and open way.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by steve170461
I was on a recent flight travelling in the exit row only to see all of the other 5 pax in the row be allowed to keep their personal headphones through the safety brief. I think this also is a safety issue that the CC should be addressing on all flights.
i wear my noise cancelling headphones during the safety demonstration; it makes it easier to hear it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If we accept the premise that passengers in an exit row are "auxiliary crew" in case of an emergency where they can open an exit door in place of a crew member doing it, I was thinking that there probably should be a policy that those passengers should also remain sober. Seems reasonable to me that the crew must remain sober, why not those who would be acting for the crew in an emergency?

One of the requirements on BA.com is: "You must be willing and able to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation." Would a person who has had too much alcohol meet the "able" requirement? I know some handle alcohol differently than others, but in the event of an emergency that isn't the time to find out if the passenger is now too drunk to understand instructions and act on them rapidly.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Which is why it is appropriate to report the incident to both BA and the CAA. OP clearly disagrees with the crew determination and thus it is appropriate for an investigation to be undertaken.

As noted, if nothing else, this sensitizes staff to the knowledge that they are watched.
What this world needs much more of, is people claiming they know much more than the professionals and even when they are told that it’s not an issue by them, they disbelieve them and still want to make further waves.

Why is it appropriate that an investigation to be undertaken just because they disagree with the crew determination? If I think the pilot landed rather firmly, should I ask for an investigation because I think it should have been a soft landing?
Padmeister and navylad like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Even if the OP was 100% factual and the passenger was drunk, probably it would be higher risk to have the flight crew go around or hold off landing whilst CC reshuffled people. So in a sense the decision to keep the man there was the right one.

So a passenger was drunk in the middle seat on an emergency exit row? So what? How many times were BA aircraft evacuated via overwing exits in the last ten years? Once or twice?

As a f/a on a chinese Airline once briefed me when I pointed out that they forgot to play the safety video: "we crash, you die".

People need to relax a bit.
Crampedin13A and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'd recommend being as objective and calm as possible, expressing it as safety concerns rather than complaints. However, I think you also need to cover the point that a drunk guy shouldn't have been drunk on an aeroplane in the first place, as well as not being allowed to be in the exit row.
Good advice in general. Specifically, it was definitely distilled liquor though. There's a wide selection these days, and I wasn't nosey enough to try to ascertain exactly which kind.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I hate twitter... but if I were you and wanted this to be looked at, I’d post the story calmly and objectively on BA’s twitter.

I love Twitter, but I won't use it on this occasion, in the event that it should gather wider attention. I wouldn't particularly want to hang out the old boy in public — he seemed good-natured enough, and did not actively inconvenience of offend anybody other than the bloke sitting next to him whom he unconsciously used as a pillow. It is, in my opinion, the crew who should have known better.

Originally Posted by Jed
If you genuinely feel that a safe evacuation in the event of an emergency landing would have been compromised, you should report it to the CAA. You have every right to question the CSD's judgement on this. A witness would help- I would have had a quiet word and exchange details with the person seated next to him who told him off for leaning against them. Then you would have a witness.

Ah, yes. That's another story. I didn't particularly feel like exchanging contact details with the gentleman next to me. He asked the cabin crew to handle his carry-on bag carefully. When he retrieved it inflight, it became clear why. He'd helped himself to a multi-course supper from the lounge — including pilfering their china (he seemed to have brought clingfilm with him for the purpose). At the end of the flight, he handed it to the cabin crew to dispose of.

Originally Posted by 1010101
Even if they do close ranks and nothing happens, the mere fact it was reported will make the CC and CSD think twice next time.
Exactly. Honestly, if she'd said, I take your point, and I will do my best to make sure this doesn't happen again on any of my flights, then I would have moved on from the aircraft and the experience. I have no particular or specific wish to get anybody into trouble (the crew was very young, a little bit distracted, but sweet), but making sure this does not happen again could literally save lives.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't know about the copy to the CAA, but if this is raised with BA's safety department, from previous experience of mine there is a good chance that it will be heeded. When I raised a cabin safety issue with BA (which was of a generic kind rather than an incident on a specific flight) I got a impressively considered and detailed response from the head of the department, which touched on the many difficult policy and practical issues that pulled in different directions on that, showing that BA was aware of the problem but also of the human factors limitations of what could reasonably be done in relation to it. It would not have satisfied a "hang 'em and flog 'em" complainant, but I thought that it was a reassuring insight into the real work behind BA's safety culture.
What is the best way to contact BA's safety department?

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd love to know how old this ''very old man'' actually is. He might be younger than me.
"Very" got added by others, not by me. He was older than me; I was older than his son.

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
This sort of story, which sadly does come up fairly often (e.g. Ryanair flight diverts due to drunk and rowdy passengers) concerns me because inevitably it'll result in the minority who cannot handle their alcohol or know when to stop ruining things for the rest of us. There have already been rumblings about banning or limiting alcohol availability in airports, and it wouldn't be that much of a leap before an airline either banned alcohol altogether or brought in a 1-2 drink limit. An increasing number of trains in Germany are now alcohol-free due to the actions of certain fuelled-up football fans, and of course we have dry trains in this country too (Scotrail after 21:00, Aberdeen - King's Cross on oil rig changeover day etc). One of life's great pleasures is sitting in a train or plane with a beer in hand watching the world go by, and I fear eventually the drunken idiots will have this pleasure removed from us permanently.
I'm pretty sure the crew would have stopped serving him if he was a belligerent, noisy, or rowdy drunk. He seemed a happy and peaceful, and then a sleepy drunk. If he hadn't been in the emergency exit seat, I wouldn't have considered it any of my business.

Originally Posted by mario
Even if the OP was 100% factual and the passenger was drunk, probably it would be higher risk to have the flight crew go around or hold off landing whilst CC reshuffled people. So in a sense the decision to keep the man there was the right one.

So a passenger was drunk in the middle seat on an emergency exit row? So what? How many times were BA aircraft evacuated via overwing exits in the last ten years? Once or twice?

As a f/a on a chinese Airline once briefed me when I pointed out that they forgot to play the safety video: "we crash, you die".

With respect, I'm glad that is not BA's official approach to safety. As for your specific comment, there was a vacant aisle seat in the row immediately in front. Moving him would have taken some effort, but not necessitated a go-around.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Feb 5, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mario
How many times have BA had to land an aircraft with no working engines in the last decade? Perhaps BA need to relax a bit, seems that they're wasting a lot of time trying to train their pilots to deal with situations that don't happen very often.

Everything is unnecessary, right up to the point that it becomes necessary. Frankly, in this circumstance (assuming the OP is accurate) the crew need a rather large kick up the backside.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I must admit I'm curious though, does the crew earn a commission from onboard sales?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I must admit I'm curious though, does the crew earn a commission from onboard sales?
Yes 10% of sales split between the whole crew.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Welcome On Board

Yes 10% of sales split between the whole crew.
So at least each one of them made a pound or so from this couple (not that I'm suggesting that was more prominent in their minds than being nice and helpful).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So at least each one of them made a pound or so from this couple (not that I'm suggesting that was more prominent in their minds than being nice and helpful).
how did they make at least a pound? Did the customer spend £40+? That is a lot more drinks that you suggested in your OP.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad

how did they make at least a pound? Did the customer spend £40+? That is a lot more drinks that you suggested in your OP.
There were two of them. So quite easy with the prices in the ICONIC and SEASONALLY INSPIRED Marks & Spencers menu.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:00 pm

There were two of them. So quite easy with the prices in the ICONIC and SEASONALLY INSPIRED Marks & Spencers menu.
I was aware that is what the term couple meant 🙄

so £20 worth each, which equates to 3.2 drinks, assuming 50 ml measures 6.2 units, 5 hour flight at standard conservative estimate metabolism of 1 unit per hour so effectively a third of a glass of Stella more intoxicated than when they boarded.

"Very" got added by others, not by me. He was older than me; I was older than his son.
i believe you described the man as ‘an elderly gentlemen’ and an ‘old boy’, it is unsurprising that others got the impression that he was old.

In any case, would you agree that it is actually difficult to assess how drunk somebody actually is, we have a game in the Emergency Department whereby someone ‘s alcohol level is guessed, often incorrectly.

You raised a concern, it sounds like the CC acted upon it, asked for advice from the CSM who told them to wake the individual and ask if he still felt able to use the emergency exit, which they did, noting your comment that the travel companion answered for him, nethertheless you assessed from your seat behind him, no doubt secured with your seatbelt secured, better than the CC did in front of him.

meanwhile my concern remains that the other half of the couple was fully awake and conversant with the CC yet the one who had fallen over was in your words ‘Caumatosed’. Many more have died from people assuming they were drunk when actually they have a significant bead injury that any risk being blamed for the concern uothread.

The risk of drunk pax in exit rows has been discussed many times before on these threads, and some additional points can be see by reviewing those threads, in quite surprised the ‘if there was a real likelihood or indeed risk of using a window exit, they wouldn’t rely passengers to do it yet.

Meanwhile those who argue that despite the tiny risk, all risks add up, I would urge them to consider the rrsks of other accepted circumstances onboard, perhaps they would argue to remove the ability to take hand-luggage onboard (far more likely to cause significant injury), or that we should start having 4 point harnesses in all seats rather than a lap belt.

One must balances levels of risk and that is why professionals are emplpyed tk balance these things, if you want to contact the CAA by all means do, but I reiterate I doubt anything will happen accept further frustration on your part.

Takiteasy and redeyedonkey like this.

Last edited by navylad; Feb 6, 2019 at 12:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.