Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA serves drunk pax until comatose, refuses to remove him from emergency exit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

Just come off a 5-hour MF flight from a European destination. Passenger in the middle of the emergency exit in front of me had clearly had a few before boarding. I am very far from prude about alcohol consumption in the air. What else is there to do? I had two drinks in the lounge myself, and another two during the flight. But the elderly gentleman in front of me was something else. He and his son (?) kept ordering more drinks regularly. Halfway through the flight, the old boy staggered to the toilet, and fell over in the aisle, causing a bleed. He was helped back to his seat, and given some hot towels from CE. Soon after, the were asking for more. The FA told them she was terribly sorry, but they'd drunk all their Jack Daniels. What a clever way of cutting him off, I thought. But oh no, she brought them something else. And I think one more round, although I'm not sure.

As we approached LHR, the old boy was comatose. He kept on leaning against the shoulder of the stranger on his other side, who told him off quite sharply. 10 minutes to landing, the FAs had to raise his seat table for him, and I then had to get up so they could clear up the mess he'd left behind his seat (also emergency exit) — various inflight magazines, sick bags, and blood stained towels. At this point I asked them if they were really going to let him stay in that seat for landing. They went up front to ask for advice, and returned to wake him, which took a few attempts. They asked him a few times if he was fit to sit in an emergency seat. He did not answer, but his companion answered in the affirmative on his behalf. That was their cue to dash to their seats for landing. He remained unconscious throughout landing, and had to be woken up so the passenger in the window seat could exit. Disembarking, I asked the CSM for a word, recounting what had occurred and pointed to the old boy as he staggered off, and told her I was very concerned that they'd landed with him in the emergency seat. She was completely dismissive, and said it didn't matter as he was not seated by the window.

I would have moved on if this if she's taken it to heart, but clearly she didn't care one bit, so I really think I ought to take this further. BAA or CAA?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'd raise it with BA in the first instance.

The only thing I would have done (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) is question the crew earlier about the passengers fitness for being in that seat for landing. It seems to me that the crew took the easy option so they could be back in their seats for landing.

I know in 99.99999999% of times everything is fine, but what if it there was that slight chance that something did go wrong and he was hindering the escape route?

Have you got any contact details of anyone else on the flight to confirm your version of events? That might be the trigger for BA to do something.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I'd say BA but maybe make clear that you expect this to be fully investigated and dealt with and that if you don't feel it has then you reserve the right to bring the matter to the higher powers attention
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Personally I would just drop it.

Youve raised it to the CC and then the CSD, in effect you are questioning their judgement, any investigation will ask them and they will recall that they woke the passenger prior to landing who confirmed (allbeit their travel partner confirmed on their behalf) of their fitness to stay in the seat.

It is very unlikely to result in any action from BA or the CAA unless you have any further evidence to refute CC’s actions as being appropriate.

I personallg would have taised thr matter sooner, particularly if he was comatosed following a head injury irrespective of the cause you may assume, he may actually need medical attention.
IAN-UK, HIDDY, imkevinmc and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
You raise it with no one, enjoy life and let the old boy enjoy his.
IAN-UK, Yemona, SKT-DK and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I feel for both the crew and the innocent passenger that had this plonker leaning on them. I am not prudish at all about booze, but if you can't handle it then moderate your intake. No point in getting plastered and then being a nuisance.

The problem here here is that if the issue is not picked up on pre- flight, and the passenger is allowed to board, then it's very difficult to do anything after that without causing a huge amount of disruption. I share the OP's concern, but I think it's unrealistic to expect the crew to move a drunk to another seat whilst the ac is on final approach. Most likely the aircraft would need to go around, thereby prolonging a situation in which this individual is on the aircraft and potentially disruptive, which of itself might cause a safety concern. The crew would essentially have a few minutes to try and reason with someone who might not be amenable to reasoning, have to deal with that passnger's companion, ask someone else if they are willing to move, get them to swap over, secure the cabin as per usual protocol etc. It's a big ask. I wasn't there, and am uncomfortable with the whole thing, but on balance I feel that I would have acted in the same was as the crew.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by navylad

I personallg would have taised thr matter sooner...
Thought you were being a bit harsh but then realized you weren't talking about a taser after all
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I don't see the big deal. The fella had a few drinks and fell asleep. No shouting, no abuse, no disruptive behaviour.
HIDDY, Padmeister, YacozA and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by capin
I don't see the big deal. The fella had a few drinks and fell asleep. No shouting, no abuse, no disruptive behaviour.

Last edited by N830MH; Feb 4, 2019 at 7:12 pm Reason: qsvbYKr19ng
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by capin
In any other seat, I would agree (preferably a window so they don't block anybody's way). In an emergency exit row, there is a problem, for reasons that are explained to you at each safety briefing.
SK, dddc, NoY and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My advice would be to write to BA (specifically, to Safety Department). Ask the communication to be passed onto Safety Department if you file a customer relations report online.

I'd recommend being as objective and calm as possible, expressing it as safety concerns rather than complaints. However, I think you also need to cover the point that a drunk guy shouldn't have been drunk on an aeroplane in the first place, as well as not being allowed to be in the exit row.

In doing so, I recommend avoiding making too many assumptions - the drinks given in place of Jack Daniels that they had 'run out' may well have been non-alcoholic. Not making too many assumptions but addressing the various possibilities unless you were certain might give your story more credibility.

For instance, I have got very close to falling over in the cabin and I probably looked very drunk, but I wasn't. It's simply that one of my legs would give way if I sat incorrectly, and when I got up, it completely gave way, so I nearly fell over, except that I quickly grabbed something but I still couldn't walk. It would have been a bit silly if someone fully assumed that I was drunk as I hadn't had anything alcoholic for days...

I think it's a very bad idea to get drunk, or allow someone to get drunk, to the extent of going into stupor (or violence etc - essentially drunkenness) - whether on aeroplanes or on the ground, and certainly dislike them to be in the exit row and I find them very inappropriate to be allowed to remain in the exit row for take-off or landing and crew members should not have allowed him to remain there, but I think I should give BA a chance to deal with this issue first.

I have seen various safety-related issues which I addressed with various airlines, and most cases, certainly the one with BA, has been addressed properly and appropriately at the time I contacted the airline, even if wasn't dealt with appropriately in-flight (which then triggered me to write). I did not need to refer the matter to the regulators.
subject2load and jfallesen like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:04 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
In any other seat, I would agree (preferably a window so they don't block anybody's way). In an emergency exit row, there is a problem, for reasons that are explained to you at each safety briefing.
I'd be far more concerned with people going for their bags or personal belongings as many did on EK521.
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
If the passenger really was drunk to the point of unconsciousness (the OP's story comes across pretty strong, but I wasn't there) I would raise this with the CAA. If you leave resolving this with either the cabin crew or the airline there will always be a conflict of interest, they all have an interest in the matter going away quickly and quietly. BA will also take a CAA request for information much more serious than whatever template response OP would get from BA.
SK, Dambus, orbitmic and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I thought crew were not allowed to serve alcohol to some one who was drunk?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Taking your description at face value, this seems quite bad and has endangered both the gentleman and other passengers and crew, so I would write to the CAA. BA is likely not to do anything if you write to customer services. The CAA probably won’t do much but when they write to BA they are more likely to investigate. You’ve written up your account quite precisely already so it will be quick to edit with flight and seat details and send on. I would specifically include the seat number of the neighbour who seemed very directly inconvenienced as she would be a good witness to talk to if anyone considered this was needed.

For those mentioning that the op should just - effectively - mind his own business, note that in most situations where professionals have an obligation to ensure one does not become a danger to other, that obligation extends to ensuring they are not a danger to themselves either. One may or may not like that duty, but the fall described which resulted in an injury - however superficial we all hope it to be - shows that beyond the worrying exit row issue and poor response by the crew member and e CSD, the gentleman had indeed become a potential danger to himself in the course of the flight.
NickB, SK, Dambus and 8 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 5, 2019 at 1:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.