Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Piano in Flounge - for the love of god why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Piano in Flounge - for the love of god why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Peter_S
It was definitely in the CCR last week, because I had a go on it...but for everyone’s sake, using the headphones
The one in the CCR has been there since early August 2018 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30050910-post320.html
Peter_S likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I wonder how many they’ve sold...? From memory, they were ‘offering’ about Ł500 off, so a bargain at around Ł7k
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
The 'play me' piano seems to be a 'thing' everywhere now and - when played well - brings joy in moderation.

However there is a dark side. For example there's a piano just before the Non-Schengen entry point at WAW just beside the kids play area, upon which on several occasions I've seen parents let their darling children loose as if it were just another plaything. Chopin would be turning in his grave.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I was in the JFK CCR a few weeks ago. Man sits down and plays the piano with headphones on. Then the staff ask him to take the headphones off and play one piece aloud. OMG. Don’t know who he was (other than I overheard he was a musician) His playing was truly sublime and to be getting a private performance with only about 13 people in the lounge was truly amazing. Whatever else I’d been doing at the time, I’d have given up 10 minutes to hear him play. He was collected off the flight into a Jag at the end as well..
Crampedin13A, HIDDY, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by mwp1
Anyone knocking out any rick wakeman classics ??
bobby crush or Richard clayderman, surely?
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
The 'play me' piano seems to be a 'thing' everywhere now and - when played well - brings joy in moderation.

However there is a dark side. For example there's a piano just before the Non-Schengen entry point at WAW just beside the kids play area, upon which on several occasions I've seen parents let their darling children loose as if it were just another plaything. Chopin would be turning in his grave.
Totally agree with the whole kids thing. It's a fine line - my daughter is a good pianist (she'd just passed Grade 6) and saw a piano at a gate at LHR last year (T3 I think). A couple of parents had let their very little ones have a bash so I suggested to my (then 14y-o) daughter that she should have a go. I certainly wouldn't have suggested it when she was little. She's quite shy so didn't want to, until another passenger who we knew slightly and who happened to be on the flight, also suggested that she play.

She got a round of applause from some of the other passengers and was beaming for half of the flight - so it can work - and kids need to be encouraged of course... but....
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I am however slightly ashamed to say that when I saw the new electric piano in the Flounge a couple of weeks ago I sat down with headphones and pretended to play for a few seconds. I am just hoping it wasnt like one of those phone calls one often hears where the headphone jack isnt plugged in properly...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I am not a fan of the pianos - even if a virtuoso musician were to play one, it's still, to me intrusive (and I absolutely love music, I just want to choose where and when I listen to it).

It's also, for me, just another nail in the coffin in my opinion of the CCR. I flew to JFK and back, in F last week, and I was perfectly happy in the B gates lounge. I did, to be fair, try the CCR again but I literally walked in, couldn't find a nice secluded seat that looked comfortable and had power points, walked through into the viewing area (when did those recliners come in - have they always been there???) and figured that the CCR just isn't aimed at me (ie a very focused business traveller).

As my flight was out of B gates it seemed a no brainer. And tbh I got all the boxes ticked. A seat, comfortable, with power points and view of aircraft. The afternoon tea and scones hit the spot and I even managed a glass of vino.

Definitely my favourite lounge in T5
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants

bobby crush or Richard clayderman, surely?
No, Les Dawson
twosheds, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Always saw the white piano played by people wearing headphones. If now the piano is "free to air" I would certainly agree it's very inappropriate.

The lounge is a place for work and relaxation, not a tube artist corner.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pascoe
and figured that the CCR just isn't aimed at me (ie a very focused business traveller).
Did you consider the CCR Board Room? I know what you mean, now I think about it, I tend to use the high benches and I'm OK for power for a few hours. It would be nice if some plugs where slipped underneath those benches however.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Did you consider the CCR Board Room? I know what you mean, now I think about it, I tend to use the high benches and I'm OK for power for a few hours. It would be nice if some plugs where slipped underneath those benches however.
The power situation is dire. Worse on the terrace, but management is constantly trying to sort it (apparently!) Although possibly not till the contract is decided I guess.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch

Very much this.
I can’t stand the fad for public pianos. Many railway stations have been afflicted by them too.
All very well having the once in a blue moon virtuoso, but it’s the plink-plonk players that are the majority that really make them anti-social.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
We were in the CCR yesterday and someone was playing really well (without headphones). To be quite honest, anyone a reasonable distance away could't hear anyway (and certainly nobody on the terrace). I thought it was a really nice touch.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:24 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by antichef
. I occasionally travel with my electronic bagpipes (using headphones for public safety ) but you will never see them displayed in a lounge .
Don't you mean your own personal safety so no one tries to stick the bagpipes somewhere inconvenient?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.