FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Feasibility of BA flying to KTM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1954551-feasibility-ba-flying-ktm.html)

stampcollector Feb 4, 2019 4:42 am

Feasibility of BA flying to KTM

I am looking at booking flights to Nepal; having visited a few years ago I am aware that KTM is a very small airport, however, I was wondering why BA don't (and as far as I can tell have never done) fly here. I can't imagine it is an aircraft operating limitation as QR and TK both fly A330s there, is it just that there isn't any reasonable demand to fly direct from Europe?

Worcester Feb 4, 2019 4:56 am

I assume the same reason they don't fly to SUN, GET or MZW

There is insufficient perceived demand to make the investment.

shefgab Feb 4, 2019 4:57 am

I imagine there is next to no business traffic from the UK to Nepal, and not much connecting from the USA either, so no expensive business tickets paying the way. I imagine there is some high end tourism, but nowhere near enough to make BA launch KTM. The ME3 and TK already have the capacity.

ajeleonard Feb 4, 2019 5:02 am

Yields

stampcollector Feb 4, 2019 5:07 am

I suspected it would be a lack of business tickets, Oneworld, in general, appear to be far behind *A and Skyteam and ME3 carriers in options for flying to KTM

dodgeflyer Feb 4, 2019 5:12 am

Seems very little point when you can route through DEL on BA/9W which is only 100 miles and change longer. Would have thought first step to a route would have been a 9W codeshare.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 4, 2019 5:22 am

I think an hourly A380 service to NQY would be a better prospect.

rapidex Feb 4, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30737323)

You will get Cornishsimon all excited with this:D

Swanhunter Feb 4, 2019 5:27 am

It’s a viable spoke for a super connector (especially with guest worker traffic into the Gulf) but for an airline with a major focus on point to point business travel KTM is a non-starter. Fabulous country but not one I can ever see having BA service beyond a codeshare via DEL.

subject2load Feb 4, 2019 5:35 am

Nothing direct as you say, but no lack of options.

Am making a brief visit there in April (en route to Australia), and decided to go with QR as far as DOH and then switch to Oman Air to KTM, via MCT. Clearly not the quickest routing, but the TP’s (equivalent thereof) with WY should see me retain my Sindbad Gold status with them. And they’re a nice carrier.

Worcester Feb 4, 2019 5:37 am

Now Flybe have been taken over by Virgin I wonder if BA will look at their own NQY routing, obviously not on an A380.

onobond Feb 4, 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30737323)

And continuing to KTM ?:cool:

South London Bon Viveur Feb 4, 2019 6:00 am

As per most of the above responses, I imagine KTM would be very low yield- think BKK-light. Given the bad press that BA 9 to BKK gets, I shudder to think what the KTM experience might end up like :)

subject2load Feb 4, 2019 6:05 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur (Post 30737428)
................ Given the bad press that BA 9 to BKK gets, I shudder to think what the KTM experience might end up like :)

How about BA direct to KTM, with fifth freedom rights onward to BKK : the dream ticket :D

stampcollector Feb 4, 2019 6:20 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 30737442)

How about BA direct to KTM, with fifth freedom rights onward to BKK : the dream ticket :D

The new BA009 maybe, using a 767 brought out of retirement?