LGW lounge use

Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:27 pm

Seems the OP has an interest in gaming the lounge access rules.....

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29393712-post883.html
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Am astonished that anyone should need to ask such a question ; and will limit myself to that.
That's because I totally misread the OP and hadn't seen that he or she would then try to get a refund after using lounge. 🤐

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 10, 2019 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Unethical? Probably. Illegal? Unlikely. Fraudulent? Almost certainly. Desperate? Definitely.

This sort of question is the distant, poorer, relative of the "is 7 hours enough to enjoy the heathrow lounges" posts. IMO lounges are, with few exceptions, like second-rate hotel lobbies without the option of choice as to what to do next. For the irregular traveller they're surely exciting, albeit heightened by the journey that follows. For the regular traveller they're a welcome respite from the monolithic culture of airports. However neither would willingly pass away time in the Arrivals lounge other than for necessity of washing or watering. I personally hate going to airports without lounge access, but to feel the need to buy a ticket and potentially delay a departure just to visit the BA lounge over the perfectly acceptable No.1 Lounge means some perspective is lacking.

It is a bit like the pair of 650 Ballenciaga Crocs I saw advertised recently (Ballenciaga Crocs ?!). Sure, some people will do anything to get hold of a pair, but at the end of the day they are still Crocs, and the less exclusive version is less likely to make you look like a plonker.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
In Singapore there are big signs saying it is illegal to enter the airside if you have no intention to fly.
As said above if one do it once unlikely will be caught. Do it more often your profile would be flagged up.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by subject2load
Just when you thought people had run out of ideas for attempting to circumvent rules on lounge access ..........
This idea isn't new. A LH "customer" tried to do this habitually. He was eventually sued and ended up having to pay a large fine.

Last edited by FlyerTalker78341; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:44 am Reason: Disregard this post, I just noticed somebody else already posted it
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Krisz
In Singapore there are big signs saying it is illegal to enter the airside if you have no intention to fly.
But the OP has every intention of flying, so he wouldn't be caught by this. It's just that he has no intention of flying on BA, nor of paying BA for the use of the pre-flight lounge.
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Illegal? Unlikely. Fraudulent? Almost certainly.
It would be a rum world if activity which is "almost certainly" fraudulent is considered "unlikely" to be illegal.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It would be a rum world if activity which is "almost certainly" fraudulent is considered "unlikely" to be illegal.
I am taking 'fraudulent' in its contractual sense and 'legality' in its criminal sense. But I guess that also works vice versa
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This thread is brilliant. Why on earth would anyone want to do what the OP suggests anyway? It sounds like such a massive hassle.

As someone that does occasionally use other carriers, it's a firm and resounding no from me to any suggestion of Open Access. I consider myself a well travelled liberal global citizen, but I'm against all forms of lounge immigrant
Sealink and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
This thread is brilliant. Why on earth would anyone want to do what the OP suggests anyway? It sounds like such a massive hassle.
"Getting into a lounge by buying a flexible ticket then cancelling it afterwards" is actually a staple FT subject that's made frequent appearances in various forums over the years. These threads always tend to follow the same trajectory ...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was gobsmacked that someone might go to all that trouble just to get lounge access. If someone wants lounge access so much then surely it is worth the entry fee.

Personally, if I can't get lounge access legitimately through my ticket class or status then it is always worth the lounge entry fee.

Just pay the fee and enjoy!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
@subject2load a while ago BA used to allow Golds to access BA lounges when flying on other airlines. I think it was called ‘open access’

It was called Open Doors. I remember it but only used it very occasionally.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rsak
I have a flight coming up on Norwegian out of LGW South. Could I book a fully flex ticket to a BA destination to use the lounge and then cancel it later?

Besides the legality (or not) of the situation, my question is a practical one - if I have come through security on my Norwegian BP, will I be able to use my BA BP to use the lounge, or will the lounge agents be able to somehow tell that I haven't cleared security?

There is still a 15 cancellation fee on fully flexible ticket so effectively you are actually paying for lounge access! 😂
Sealink and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AntCarter
There is still a 15 cancellation fee on fully flexible ticket so effectively you are actually paying for lounge access! 😂
Plus the risk of something going wrong on the communications and ending up as a no-show. There are certainly easier ways to visit a lounge. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum AntCarter, it's good to see you here.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
it is illegal
I think BA would struggle in getting a prosecution to stick in court but it is absolutely everything else you suggest it is and certainly not something anyone should be proud of trying to accomplish. It's just miserly and thrifty to the extreme.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
There was also this story of the Chinese guy on a fully flex first.
https://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-us...ee-for-a-year/

I think what the OP is doing is wrong. But each to their own

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.