Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your earliest Opup?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
My one and only upgrade was at the gate at LHR. CW ->F. In 14 years since returning to BA I've only flown once on BA in Y so I don't expect to get upgraded
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
If you use the BA App and allow notifications you'll often see the "seat change" pop up if you get upgraded "at the gate" (i.e. you'll know about it before you get the beep at the boarding gate so can work on seat changes in the lounge if needed).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our "earliest" wasn't until about 17:45 on 25 Sep 2014, at Gate 42 at IAD.

We had been BAEC Silver since 2011, and had just renewed that on the outbound to IAD 3 weeks previously.

A useless data point really, as it was our only ever OpUp (W > J). On this occasion we had been unable to UuA to J on the return leg, so we were doubly grateful! What the algorithm was on that day I have no idea. We'd been doing the TATL UuA to J a couple of times a year since 2008, so BA knew we weren't big spenders, and certainly didn't need to show us how nice CW is! So was it sympathy for not getting our usual UuA to J?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:46 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Have never had a free one with BA. Been a mix of Blue and Bronze since 2004. Should make Silver for the first time this year owing to weekly short haul flights. I am paying for the upgrades myself so that I can hit Silver. Won't have another chance like this so I thought what the heck. I guess in future upgrades would be most welcome given company policy on business flights is non-existent unless flying out on >5 hr flight.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
36 hours from departure once when leaving ICN. There seemed to be a huge tour group on the plane so I suspect there were a lot of op-ups. I started with a WT+ to F upgrade which then became a CW only upgrade but I was happy enough �� Usually they happen when the flight is under gate control in my experience.

I have twice been upgraded onboard - once when I pinned down a disruptive passenger and then he was restrained in his seat which was next to mine upstairs on a 747, the other time was when I had a non-functioning CW seat on an almost brand new Dreamliner - CW was full but there was one remaining seat in F so I got it.

My latest upgrade before boarding was last week out of MAN. My BP was scanned, the lady said it was OK and then came running down the airbridge 20 seconds later to tell me I was now in 2F

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Feb 4, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:42 am

Most of the ones I got LHR-SIN happened at the gate, SIN-LHR seemed to always happen in the lounge. 48 hours before for LHR-BAH
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
My one and only op-up (WTP-CW) was about 30 hours prior to departure. My wife has had a few (CW-F) in the lounge and at the gate.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
My upgrades have been:

LHR-BKK at the gate
LHR-LAS at the gate
HKG-LHR 36 hours before departure
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:05 am

I have gotten two op ups on BA, and I am not even a member of BAEC, I am a Oneworld Sapphire on QR however. Both happened at the gate, one was WT to WTP and the other was WTP to CW.

As an economy flier, needless to say I was very grateful!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Two years ago I got 3 op-ups in a row.
2x WT+ to J at check-in/bag drop.
1x WT to WT+ at the gate.
None since then.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I once got a call from BA to let me know about an op-up, about three days before the flight. But that was back in cradle seat days, so that welcome human touch is probably long gone.

I've had a few at or just before OLCI, but the vast majority have been at the gate.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
2 op ups at blue from WTP to CW. Both at desk. First we due to equipment change to a Super J 747. Then two weeks later on way back to Mexico was not even told I was upgraded. Just printed me a CW BP and sent me through FT security.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
Have had some at OLCI but most at the gate, always a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by thatflyer
I guess I am the only Gold member who for the past 3-4 years I have been Gold has never had an upgrade?

Not only you,

I'm a firm subscriber that you book the cabin you want to fly in, however just the occasional nibble would of course be welcome. I guess they know what they are going to get from me though with well established patterns and a restrictive corporate policy that BA will be well aware of. The only times I got the magic beep to upgrade was into CE on a trip to Algiers in around 2008 and from PE to C from Moscow around 6 years ago!

I was on a practically full BA 279 yesterday with, according to the lady who checked me in, only a couple of spare seats in First and she said there would definitely be 'some passenger moves'

Needless to say First got filled up without troubling me, I say good luck to the lucky few, clearly the algorithm gods are not with me and I had to contend with a pleasant enough flight in the mini Club World cabin
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally posted by abligh:
Once after thinking "no, £x for PE->J AUP doesn't seem worthwhile"
I've had two similar upgrades. One from BA in the lounge at LHR after enquiring at checkin at MAN; the other from Qantas on the aircraft after enquiring in the lounge at HKG.

The oddest was when I guested a friend into the lounge at LHR, both booked in WT+. She got an upgrade and a new BP before reaching the gate, but I didn't. At the gate my WT+ BP produced a ping, and a comment from one of the agents that I appeared to have boarded already! Another agent typed a few strokes and then handed me a new, CW, BP, and I found myself sitting next to my friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.