Wiki Posts
Search

BA destinations with interesting wildlife

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
All,

Looking to tap into the collective wisdom.

I currently have a trip with my father planned for a fortnight over Easter (April) to Costa RIca. I'm getting cold feet due to the additional costs /complexity of being there over Semana Santa/Easter.

I can switch the flights to pretty much anywhere I think (with a joker etc) but need to be on the BA network as a companion voucher is at play.

I may struggle to get Nairobi/east Africa/South Africa agreed, so wanted to ask if anyone had an good wildlife destinations they could recommend. Not for the whole trip, but places where there's enough to do a solid week or so.

Thanks
Come up to NCL and spend a week in the Bigg Market
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
You may wish to consider (Malaysian) Borneo - readily accessible on a very short hop from Kuala Lumpur. Good wildlife opportunities, good value once there, and an attractive landscape too. Have enjoyed a couple of (short) visits over the last two years.

As for your original plan for Costa Rica : I flew down there with BA in 2016 and had a great week in what is a very welcoming and friendly country. I believe it’s widely considered as one of today’s very best ‘wildlife destinations’ worldwide. Seems a pity that it might not work out for you, but I wish you safe travels whatever you decide.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I would echo subject2load's suggestion of Sabah and/or Sarawak, the two Malaysian states on Borneo. Very interesting places and not overcrowded by tourists yet.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by dsf
Having been to Costa Rica (and loved it!) my gf and I had the same question for our own 241 this year, and after a bit of research we booked a week based in Kuching in Malaysian Borneo as mentioned twice upthread.
Fantastic to see such recommendations for the Malaysian part of Borneo. It reaffirms my decision to head there for a few weeks of vacation in May ^

Really looking forward to this trip, and the opportunity to fly again in a world-class F product in the form of LX will give the trip a great start
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd

Fantastic to see such recommendations for the Malaysian part of Borneo. It reaffirms my decision to head there for a few weeks of vacation in May ^

Really looking forward to this trip, and the opportunity to fly again in a world-class F product in the form of LX will give the trip a great start
Another vote for Borneo,Malaysia is a wonderful destination inexpensive friendly people incredible food and so much to see and do
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there rossmacd - good to read your post and given what a well-travelled guy you are, I was interested in your plans !

Just one personal tip if I may : do try to include a visit to a traditional ’Iban longhouse’ and with an overnight stay in one (as opposed to just visiting and then staying in an upmarket resort near a longhouse !). If you choose the right type / area, it will provide an authentic, back-to-basics, back-to-nature, memorable experience.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would Southern Africa be difficult? There is an amazing and diverse set of destinations to visit and despite some hysteria around safety (even on this thread) it really isn’t a tough place to visit if you exercise a modicum of street smarts.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Only one place comes to mind when you mention wildlife - NBO
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi there rossmacd - good to read your post and given what a well-travelled guy you are, I was interested in your plans !

Just one personal tip if I may : do try to include a visit to a traditional ’Iban longhouse’ and with an overnight stay in one (as opposed to just visiting and then staying in an upmarket resort near a longhouse !). If you choose the right type / area, it will provide an authentic, back-to-basics, back-to-nature, memorable experience.
Thank you subject2load for the recommendation ^ I have yet to spend some time planning for this trip (It is still a bit far away for me!), but any further recommendations or tips, perhaps by PM to not de-rail this thread, would certainly be most welcome
subject2load likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by babats
Come up to NCL and spend a week in the Bigg Market
Beaten to it

Others have made excellent suggestions. It is a real shame that Zimbabwe is currently experiencing yet more turmoil, as it is a wonderful country with fantastic people, and has some great wildlife.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I thought this was a variation on a DYKWIA thread...

Best 'wildlife' - the sharp-elbowed front end of the Groups 2&3 queue? At a T5A bus gate.
SKT-DK and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Thank you subject2load for the recommendation ^ I have yet to spend some time planning for this trip (It is still a bit far away for me!), but any further recommendations or tips, perhaps by PM to not de-rail this thread, would certainly be most welcome
Hope this suggestion will not be considered derailing the thread, but for both you and the OP I would strongly suggest renting a car out of Kota Kinabalu and drive a circular trip around the state of Sabah if time permits - it is around 1,000kms if you do not pursue the longer route towards the northeastern coast first.
rossmacd and wilsnunn like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Hope this suggestion will not be considered derailing the thread, but for both you and the OP I would strongly suggest renting a car out of Kota Kinabalu and drive a circular trip around the state of Sabah if time permits - it is around 1,000kms if you do not pursue the longer route towards the northeastern coast first.
Having spent quite a bit of time in Kuching where I have family, I can agree that the island of Borneo is a great place for this!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suppose your choice of destination depends on which type of wildlife you're interested in seeing. I'd get a bigger thrill from spotting a Scottish wildcat/otter/golden eagle than any of the big 5 on a safari.

Good thread. ^
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It depends what sort of wildlife you are interested in and often the time of year is critical for wildlife viewing.

April is also the perfect time for tigers in India. The high temperatures mean the tigers need to find water. A train or car from either Mumbai or Delhi will take you into the heart of Madhya Pradesh.

It's certainly not my best experience in terms of wildlife viewing but sadly I think that's a tigers plight.

Madagascar is a connection from JNB as well albeit a bit further away. No lions, giraffe or zebra like the film but incredible nonetheless.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Why would Southern Africa be difficult? There is an amazing and diverse set of destinations to visit and despite some hysteria around safety (even on this thread) it really isn’t a tough place to visit if you exercise a modicum of street smarts.
It's pretty clear the problem would be the OP's father's viewpoint not their own view of the realities. Unfortunately just telling someone their travels wouldn't be difficult or that the benefits outweigh the complications/concerns doesn't often change their mind. If you've never had to make a travel concession for a friend or family members viewpoint, that may well be irrational, then lucky you. The OP didn't choose his father, and isn't going to kidnap him!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Forget about Kenya(Nairobi) over the Easter week. Many things are pretty much shut down Good Friday-Easter Monday-found that out personally in 2017.

Cape Town is having some political turmoil right now-might not be the safest. Protests on beaches(including a sheep slaughtered on a Camp's Bay beach), arson fires, traffic blockades by militant factions of the ANC. I have read reports of tourists being attacked/robbed/harassed very recently.

Botswana is wonderful but very expensive.

Zimbabwe is very unstable right now as well. Vic Falls is terrific though.

Maybe Zambia?
I assure you that Cape Town is still most civilised. A sheep was slaughtered on a beach in Clifton (not Camps Bay) several weeks ago for a (peaceful) political stunt. Ever since things have been quiet. I'd certainly feel less safe in Zambia (though not unsafe, beautiful country)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.