Search

BA destinations with interesting wildlife

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
BA destinations with interesting wildlife

All,

Looking to tap into the collective wisdom.

I currently have a trip with my father planned for a fortnight over Easter (April) to Costa RIca. I'm getting cold feet due to the additional costs /complexity of being there over Semana Santa/Easter.

I can switch the flights to pretty much anywhere I think (with a joker etc) but need to be on the BA network as a companion voucher is at play.

I may struggle to get Nairobi/east Africa/South Africa agreed, so wanted to ask if anyone had an good wildlife destinations they could recommend. Not for the whole trip, but places where there's enough to do a solid week or so.

Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:33 am

Try JNB with a trip to the Kruger
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
You may wish to consider (Malaysian) Borneo - readily accessible on a very short hop from Kuala Lumpur. Good wildlife opportunities, good value once there, and an attractive landscape too. Have enjoyed a couple of (short) visits over the last two years.

As for your original plan for Costa Rica : I flew down there with BA in 2016 and had a great week in what is a very welcoming and friendly country. I believe it’s widely considered as one of today’s very best ‘wildlife destinations’ worldwide. Seems a pity that it might not work out for you, but I wish you safe travels whatever you decide.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
What kind of wildlife?

How about Denver then go to Yellowstone park ( no idea about the amount of wildlife at easter) ( or MIA and go into the everglades)

Or how about HKG/PEK/PVG then another flight to see the Pandas?

Rapidex's idea of JNB is good
Regards

TBS
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If JNB doesn’t get accepted, you could do CPT instead which is more obvious and appealing for the non-wildlife part of the trip. Only moderately warm at Easter.

From there you can do malaria free private reserve along the Eastern Cape, or fly up to Namibia or Botswana for something different (probably expensive / luxurious if an organised trip).

Orherwise the variety in Kenya is amazing.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

How about Denver then go to Yellowstone park ( no idea about the amount of wildlife at easter) ( or MIA and go into the everglades)

TBS
Yellowstone only becomes 'operational' around Memorial day (May 27th). Most of the roads don't open until (end of) May: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Have been camping over there a few years ago the 2 weeks after Memorial day and on the higher elevations there was still a lot of snow.

+ from Denver it is still a long way to go to reach Yellowstone.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:55 pm

Inverness - even if you don't spot a haggis or Nessie, the locals can get pretty wild on a Saturday night!

You'll miss the season for ferocious midges though.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Forget about Kenya(Nairobi) over the Easter week. Many things are pretty much shut down Good Friday-Easter Monday-found that out personally in 2017.

Cape Town is having some political turmoil right now-might not be the safest. Protests on beaches(including a sheep slaughtered on a Camp's Bay beach), arson fires, traffic blockades by militant factions of the ANC. I have read reports of tourists being attacked/robbed/harassed very recently.

Botswana is wonderful but very expensive.

Zimbabwe is very unstable right now as well. Vic Falls is terrific though.

Maybe Zambia?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Cape Town is having some political turmoil right now-might not be the safest. Protests on beaches(including a sheep slaughtered on a Camp's Bay beach), arson fires, traffic blockades by militant factions of the ANC. I have read reports of tourists being attacked/robbed/harassed very recently.
From News24 a couple of days ago:

'"We want toilets, water and electricity," said protester Ncedo Nkonyana, after balancing on his head and doing air splits in front of the police lined up at the top of the steps to the civic centre.' (source)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
No-one made any snide comments about the mice and other creatures in the airline lounges yet? I'm quite surprised.

Apart from JNB and the Kruger National Park which I wholeheartedly recommend (book accommodation with SANparks in the camps in the park, rent a car, do it all yourself - self-safari is the best), Phoenix is not far from the Grand Canyon and within a day's drive of Mesa Verde, Navajo National Monument, Canyon de Chelly, Grand Staircase/ Escalante, and several other national parks with a lot of wildlife. For the Canyon, go to the North Rim, but you have to do that in summer.

The Camargue (fly to Marseille or Nice) has quite a bit of wildlife too.
orbitmic and Woodbinerich like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
April is a good time of year to do a Southwestern National Parks loop out of Las Vegas (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, etc.) but that's more of a red rock geology trip than a wildlife proper trip. I will note however that the squirrels at Zion are pretty scary because too many park guests have taught them to expect food when someone opens up their backpack
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I would echo subject2load's suggestion of Sabah and/or Sarawak, the two Malaysian states on Borneo. Very interesting places and not overcrowded by tourists yet.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Mauritius and/or Seychelles? Plenty of unique flora and fauna there.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Thanks all for the interesting (and in some cases amusing) suggestions so far. All welcome and helpful.

Inverness here we come!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:46 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Having been to Costa Rica (and loved it!) my gf and I had the same question for our own 241 this year, and after a bit of research we booked a week based in Kuching in Malaysian Borneo as mentioned twice upthread.
rossmacd and subject2load like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.