Search

Back up FFP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Gold;
Back up FFP

Hello All,

I'm 10 tier points shy of renewing my gold status (which I have to do by August) and I am wondering whether I should book non BA/oneworld flights to start building up a back up FFP. My travel patterns are predominately trans-atlantic, business and first, as well as Europe in business. I'm based in London. Do you think I should bother, if so, Miles and More given my spent?

Thank you for your advice!!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:59 am

Why not enjoy the status you have? Crush gold and get to GGL, or at least enjoy gold itself.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Why not enjoy the status you have? Crush gold and get to GGL, or at least enjoy gold itself.
I know...I'm suffering from 'the grass is greener on the other side syndrom...' plus I am courious about other products...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Knightsbridge
I know...I'm suffering from 'the grass is greener on the other side syndrom...' plus I am courious about other products...
If you're not making BA Gold, the same flying pattern may well not get you the LH SEN, so do your homework very carefully about whether you will indeed qualify.

Then, of course, thoroughly compare the benefits of the programme, quality of lounges (e.g. space, food & beverages), earn/burn ratio etc.

No, the grass is NOT greener, on average, IMO.

One thing you could look at is to have a second FFP in another alliance anyway, without chasing status.

Signed: LH SEN, SQ PPS, A3 Gold*, QF LTG & last but not least, BA GGL/CCR/LTG, giving me a fair few opportunities to compare and contrast between programmes

*In case you're wondering about the point of having status in 3 Star Alliance programmes, simple answers are:
LH SEN: Access to certain F redemption not available through non-M&M
SQ PPS: x2 baggage allowance (Star Gold only gives 1 bag or 20 kg extra)
A3: Benefits /earning on OA which is NOT a Star member
argonath likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 3, 2019 at 6:55 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you fly a reasonable amount of Lufthansa (or whatever) and/or it's a valid alternative for some of your travel then yes it makes sense to have one account in each of the main 3 alliances. Lufthansa isn't the easiest one to get status, so if (e.g.) TK is more useful given your travel pattern you should look at that - but I'd see it more as getting some frequent flyer points/miles to do things when BAEC can't help. I am sceptical of the value of maintaining multiple frequent flyer schemes within the same alliance since that is the way to having small buckets of expiring points all over the place.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
If you're going to chase *A status just beware that many LH shorthaul C fares earn nothing with either A3 or TK programmes. Given that LH is the major *A carrier in Europe that can be a catch and M&M is now revenue based too. If you are going to use LH then look at SK Eurobonus which still earns well on all but the cheapest fares.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:46 am

Hello All,

I'm 10 tier points shy of renewing my gold status (which I have to do by August) and I am wondering whether I should book non BA/oneworld flights to start building up a back up FFP. My travel patterns are predominately trans-atlantic, business and first, as well as Europe in business. I'm based in London. Do you think I should bother, if so, Miles and More given my spent?

Thank you for your advice!!
Personally, I think the benefits of status are marginal when you can travel in a premium cabin (with the BA exception of being able to preselect seats for free). I'd book on schedule & price. If the Virgin product works for you, their earn rates in upper class can be quite favourable (400% of miles flown plus status bonus for flexible tickets).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I don't have a backup FFP in the sense that you're talking about, but I have a 'bail out' FFP researched in case adverse changes happen to BAEC. I'll probably jump to Flying Blue.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am sceptical of the value of maintaining multiple frequent flyer schemes within the same alliance since that is the way to having small buckets of expiring points all over the place.
I agree with your general assessment. In my case I have built up a substantial stash (ton?) of AA miles. AA miles are an incredibly useful alternative to Avios and I've not forgone a single tier point in the process.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Many schemes work on a calendar year so why not a back up indeed, but as others say, I certainly wouldn't pick that within OW. Look at whether ST or *A is good for you and if you want status or useable miles. If *A, TK, A3 and SK all have advantages. If ST, AF-KL is probably your best bet for status and AZ for miles.
Lefly likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
You could ask TK for status match. I did a few years ago and they gave it pretty quickly. I got Star Alliance GOLD for 2 years and had never flown Star Alliance
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by BAEC
You could ask TK for status match. I did a few years ago and they gave it pretty quickly. I got Star Alliance GOLD for 2 years and had never flown Star Alliance
Now they have a status challenge more than a status match (See relevant thread in TK forum); a bit more complicated but always better than starting from scratch. And renewing at 25K/year or 37.5K/2 years is not that difficult, comparing to other FFPs.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated. Being LON based it is a no brainer to maintain Gold Status on BA, so I will make sure I will always maintain that. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't fly enough to achieve GGL, but I can still continue to chip away on lifetime gold and collect avios. For the other flights, I'll be a free agent and select them on schedule and price.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Go for it. Since BA doesn’t roll over excess tier points, I stop using them when I reach Gold. I have built up my Flying Blue Platinum status and Aegean Silver (which gives 2 upgrade coupons and 4 voucher to access their lounges). AF/KL ended up taking most of my business as with the roll over policy I will reach Platinum for life quite easily.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Many schemes work on a calendar year so why not a back up indeed, but as others say, I certainly wouldn't pick that within OW. Look at whether ST or *A is good for you and if you want status or useable miles. If *A, TK, A3 and SK all have advantages. If ST, AF-KL is probably your best bet for status and AZ for miles.
AZ have had massive devaluations lately. They might have been good for mileage at some point, but definitely not now. Not that flying blue is that much better in this respect tbh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.