Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back up FFP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
There is another alternative of course. Many will offer Status Matching to top tier members of other airlines. Nowadays many do it via a 'Challenge' eg fly X sectors / book X BC or F tickets within Y but if your travel plans/ work policy will allow it then it can be a very easy shortcut as typically say 10 economy sectors is alot quicker and cost effective than starting afresh and earning the status outright.

VS have a Challenge approach and it's pretty generous when put against the requirements via the standard route. We delisted them as a preferred carrier in 2018 after too many mistakes made by them and ineffective solutions( if any) being found without days of repeating the same problem to someone sat in the sat the office as things weren't done right previously. They've been trying to schmooze us back into using them again and aware of the speed in which we achieved Silver with BA and let's face it would rather they got our money again. For leisure travellers such as ourselves it's quite difficult to attain & maintain status with them but if the acquisition of FlyBe goes through and a domestic/ SH network gets added then we might take them up on it and have both BAEC & Flying Club at mid-high levels just to open up more benefits across different alliances ( putting aside the SkyTeam discussion).

I'd definitely say that looking at the possibility of a status match is something worth investigating at the very least. From memory www.thepointsguy.com has a couple of good articles on the subject which they update reasonably regularly. I know that he is on FT but can't remember his ID but anyone who does can tag him below in case he has more to add or direct links to the site as he knows a lot more about it than I do. Michele from TLFL also has an article that can be found here https://www.turningleftforless.com/s...-how-to-do-it/
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I like the Asiana program for Star Alliance - you only need 40,000 miles every two years for Gold, cabin bonuses count for status, and lifetime Gold is at 500,000 miles. That being said, they are rather a pain for awards (only you or members of your family and you have to send documentation to get family members added).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
if your travel pattern is largely transatlantic, then I don't see how using Star Alliance (or having Star Alliance status) will be that practical for you, unless you plan on flying United a lot...

LH business is nothing to write home about

Swiss business is very nice, but I wouldn't think worth the stop-over in Switzerland for transatlantic flying

For short-haul in Europe, all you really need is BA Silver or "basic" Gold anyway: only at LHR/LGW is there any difference between Silver and Gold in terms of check-in, security, lounges etc.

And BA Silver/Gold is easier to earn and maintain (I think) that the equivalents on Star Alliance. I looked at switching to Star Alliance and realized it would be a much closer call every year to earn and maintain Star Gold than it is BA Gold, especially based out of London

In short - I don't really see the point of building up a second FFP for your travel pattern. If you want to take some 'wild-card' flights without chasing status, then go for it - Swiss business is a nice change from Club World! but given the offering you don't really need status on Star Alliance to enjoy business class travel on those airlines...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by ratypus
if your travel pattern is largely transatlantic, then I don't see how using Star Alliance (or having Star Alliance status) will be that practical for you, unless you plan on flying United a lot...

LH business is nothing to write home about

Swiss business is very nice, but I wouldn't think worth the stop-over in Switzerland for transatlantic flying

For short-haul in Europe, all you really need is BA Silver or "basic" Gold anyway: only at LHR/LGW is there any difference between Silver and Gold in terms of check-in, security, lounges etc.

And BA Silver/Gold is easier to earn and maintain (I think) that the equivalents on Star Alliance. I looked at switching to Star Alliance and realized it would be a much closer call every year to earn and maintain Star Gold than it is BA Gold, especially based out of London

In short - I don't really see the point of building up a second FFP for your travel pattern. If you want to take some 'wild-card' flights without chasing status, then go for it - Swiss business is a nice change from Club World! but given the offering you don't really need status on Star Alliance to enjoy business class travel on those airlines...
If you live in "The Regions," a quick stopover in AMS (other hubs are available) is often not any more inconvenient than making the trek down to LHR.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:30 am

true, but OP is based in London
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:30 am

if based in East/South-East London, I can just about make a case for flying out of LCY and connecting in AMS/ZRH (rather than the slow trek to LHR)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dcmike
I like the Asiana program for Star Alliance - you only need 40,000 miles every two years for Gold, cabin bonuses count for status, and lifetime Gold is at 500,000 miles. That being said, they are rather a pain for awards (only you or members of your family and you have to send documentation to get family members added).
I've recently decided on the diversification strategy as I've maxed out my Oneworld Status with 6 months to go on my membership year. I ended up going for Asiana - it's perfect as a back up program as they have a 2 year qualification period and a 2 year status period. I'll hit *A Gold in 6 months and have that status for the next 3.5 years! That being said their earning chart is pretty stingy and it's a little bit more work to earn the required miles than TK or A3.

As a side note - working on status on another alliance has really made me appreciate OW so much more!
dcmike likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Anyone got recent experience of status matching BA Gold to Star Alliance Gold? Looking to do this ahead of some US domestic travel on United and want to swerve bag charges on economy fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.