Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire at LGW Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Fire at LGW Lounge

Someone's iPod apparently exploded as I was trying to enter. Lounge is now closed (both Club and First I think)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Oh my! Hope all is under control and nobody was injured
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

They're waiting for fire team to investigate.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:08 am

Better for it to explode there than on the plane. Hopefully swiftly put out and the lounges are back operational soon.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Still closed. Quite a queue formed downstairs.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by PaulJohnson
........................Quite a queue formed downstairs.
Other than in the case of occasional bottlenecks at the front desk, I can’t imagine I would ever be inclined to stand in such a queue for much more than a minute or so. I guess incidents like these illustrate just how obsessed one can become over lounge access.

Perhaps a sort of pre-programmed mindset kicks in, making it easy to forget that there are actually other facilities and ways to help pass time at a major airport before a flight

Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

...making it easy to forget that there are actually other facilities and ways to help pass time at a major airport before a flight
Some people might want to work, or just relax. Facilities in Gatwick south are quite limited in choice and often busy whilst the lounge is a very nice environment for doing either of these things. I’d definitely wait more than a minute for access.

Anyway, I hope it’s resolved and reopened soon.

shefgab likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
volar - sure, you make fair points, and each to his / her own of course.

It was just a general reflection on the fact that we seemed to exist happily enough before the days of FFP’s and lounges - although (much like smartphones) they have proven to be welcome additions to our lives.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
volar - sure, you make fair points, and each to his / her own of course.

It was just a general reflection on the fact that we seemed to exist happily enough before the days of FFP’s and lounges - although (much like smartphones) they have proven to be welcome additions to our lives.
Yes I agree. I realised the other day that I’ve almost unconsciously switched some of my travel to Gatwick because I prefer the lounges there to Heathrow (T5). So for me at least a good lounge can influence travel plans. Others may have different priorities.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We have done LGW(S) on a short connection, and thus decided to forego the FLounge. At that point we realised how awful it is in the Public areas!

My sympathy to the deprived Loungers ... I know how you will be feeling!
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So BA day on Twitter is was just a fire alarm activation not an actual fire, so is this thread fake news?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by navylad
So BA day on Twitter is was just a fire alarm activation not an actual fire, so is this thread fake news?
If the iPad produced sufficient smoke and/or heat then the fire alarm would've been activated...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Genius1
If the iPad produced sufficient smoke and/or heat then the fire alarm would've been activated...
indeed my question is though is how reliable was the report, I.e. was it actually an iPad and did it actually “exploded” or did it even catch fire, or was it smoking?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:47 pm

indeed my question is though is how reliable was the report, I.e. was it actually an iPad and did it actually “exploded” or did it even catch fire, or was it smoking?
Well to be fair to OP s/he said it "apparently" exploded, for all we know it could be other passengers or even staff paraphrasing what they may or may not have seen personally.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

It was reported in the OP as an iPod rather than an iPad in any case (I know, it's probably a bit of a pedantic point but there is a substantial difference in size)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.