Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays now offering Budget as well as Avis(?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holidays now offering Budget as well as Avis(?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
This caught me out last week in Dublin. I didn't even realise until I got to the (wrong) counter. No second driver, loads of paperwork as the Budget IT system is not compatible with Avis so my Preferred account was useless. The agent charged (not held, actually charged) 107 Euro to my CC for fuel, which was refunded on my return with a full tank. This was not part payment, not returning the car full would cost 107 Euro. Fortunately, exhange rate movements meant I made 71p on the refund. I was then sent to stand in the snow waiting for a bus transfer to the car park 10 minutes drive away.

Worse of all was the car. A 3 year old Astra with 70,000 km and more damage than the Titanic. The damage check sheet looked like someone had taken a hammer to the car. I commented on this to the agent and suggested that it was impossible to list all the damage on a small diagram and he just shrugged and said "what do you expect from a rental car".

Once bitten, twice shy but if that is the Budget standard, all I can say is they got the name of the company spot on.
I think it depends very much on location (or country). I have only used budget in two places LGW & ABZ. In both those places they share the desks with Avis. Both times I was told that I don't need to show my driving licence as they have all the information they need from my Avis account, In these locations the fleet is also interchangeable, on two occasions the car & the van I had were Avis branded but the booking was via Budget. I have also used Avis for bookings at these locations and once been given a Budget Van. IMO the service (in the UK at any rate) seems the same on both brands, you just don't get the additionals like the "preferred" bit, loyalty points & other driver. So dependent on your requirement at that time, you pays your money and takes your choice.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by zanderblue
There is a way round this by accessing the old website. Use google to search for “avis Ba preferred” then follow the link. Think you should find avis vehicles are offered. ��
The https://www.carhire-ba.com/ offer Budget as well as Avis now too.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Akoz
I think it depends very much on location (or country).
That's an important point. Many posters comment on the supplier without specifying the rental location. Even in the USA it can be a bit variable, depending on location, but Europe seems to be a rental minefield [for many reasons].
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Akoz
The https://www.carhire-ba.com/ offer Budget as well as Avis now too.
Yes it does connect you to Avis and Budget options. The point I was trying to make was if you use the method I indicated in my post, then it would appear to operate like the old avisba website and offer only Avis branded rentals, which is important for those folks who want to get additional free driver.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
This was not part payment, not returning the car full would cost 107 Euro.
Some Avis locations do this too. I was stung badly at LBA once where I was running a bit late for my flight as traffic was held up due to an accident on the way. I therefore decided to drop off the car and just pay for the less than five litres I had used – but was charged for a full tank.

Contacted Avis about it and they said it was standard policy there but recognised that it was not made clear in any of the documents and they agreed to refund it. I have since been to other locations where it was made clear that anything other than full tank on return would incur a full tank cost.

I think this is rather disgusting but at least most Avis sites I use on a regular basis dod not have this policy.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
I've also found frequently at several locations in recent times, that when trying to book directly on Avis website using the BAEC AWD codes, the website comes back with "no availability" (not just no discount, no cars available) with the AWD, but plenty of availability if the AWd is not entered.

It does seem as if the BA Avis tie-up is under pressure.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Avis location and status pricing

Originally Posted by manord
I've also found frequently at several locations in recent times, that when trying to book directly on Avis website using the BAEC AWD codes, the website comes back with "no availability" (not just no discount, no cars available) with the AWD, but plenty of availability if the AWd is not entered.

It does seem as if the BA Avis tie-up is under pressure.
Avis ICT is execrable.
For most locations you can find extraordinary differences between

Avis UK/Local
Avis Preferred ( inc Preferred Pus and Presidents Club)
BA
BA Holidays

....and with BA ithrough BA.COMnsane price differences depending on where your flight originates (ex HKG is often 2X the cost of a separate booking on the BA site logging in as location UK with UK driver) That said last week a holiday add on ex HKG to Man was virtually free!

Also beware of currency surcharges on prepaid prices through BA. They managed to charge a credit car I terminated 18 months prior with a £7.20 charge. I had changed the billing card manually through the site 2X and then agreed the failed change by e-mail. But still 2 years on they are defaulting to an expired and terminated card.

I invoiced them for my time and costs - after a lot of protests they paid. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 is very helpful!!!

And yes the Budget addition is just plain/plane irritating. I nearly fell for a £5 saving on a 7 day booking 2X.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.