Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Shed Seven seven seven ... [vital-ish bits broken]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shed Seven seven seven ... [vital-ish bits broken]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not so much whether the eyeshades work or not (and intrepid travellers should always have their top of range shades in their HBO), it would be more the general restlessness from every one else that sleep was curtailed for all.
It was really quite interesting to watch how this intangible 'group cabin mood' was affected by the lights being on when they should be resting.

With the lights on full, the screaming baby at the front of the cabin kept on screaming, causing visible upset to the mother, which everyone could see.

There was chap at the back (yes, YOU Mr 25G), who, as soon as we were airborne, reclined his seat, belted himself in under his blanket, tipped back his head and went straight to sleep with his mouth wide open and then gave out the most almighty snort every few minutes when his apnoea kicked in. Everyone could see him and knew who it was keeping them awake.. The amount of exasperated looks being shot between other passengers indicated the general feeling of restlessness, and that's not something earplugs or eyeshades can fix.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Joking aside, if a panel is loose before take off and you notice it and it looks dangerous, tell a member of cabin crew immediately and demand they fix it before take off.
I'm pretty sure that anyone who demands a trim panel be fixed in front of a planeload of passengers just wanting to get home at 2 in the morning would be lynched.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It was really quite interesting to watch how this intangible 'group cabin mood' was affected by the lights being on when they should be resting.

There was chap at the back (yes, YOU Mr 25G), who, as soon as we were airborne, reclined his seat, belted himself in under his blanket, tipped back his head and went straight to sleep with his mouth wide open and then gave out the most almighty snort every few minutes when his apnoea kicked in. Everyone could see him and knew who it was keeping them awake.. The amount of exasperated looks being shot between other passengers indicated the general feeling of restlessness, and that's not something earplugs or eyeshades can fix.

I must have a doppelganger.

Any Captain worth his salt could find enough trivial defects to ground every flight. Then no one gets home and things go from bad to worse. On a flight home best to just get on with it and get it fixed back at base if it is safe to do so.
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 4, 2019 at 7:13 pm Reason: Just fixing the broken quote. Apologies to rapidex if I got the quoted parts wrong...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Do we have the serial number/registration of this particular 777?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The seat belt issue was presumably addressed by PA announcements, but I'm not wholly sure this should have taken to the skies with passengers on board, I'd be concerned what else wasn't working.
Originally Posted by tinkicker
I don't have a 777 book to hand but based on other types the seatbelt signs are usually allowed to be inoperative for up to 10 days IF the cabin PA system is fully functional and announcements are made every time the sign would go on / off. If it's just one set of signs then as long as the passengers can see the other signs it's usually ok. There may (or may not) be an additional restriction which says you can't depart from a maintenance base like that.
I had this on a 747 from JNB to LHR. We'd had some other technical niggle before pushback, and when we pushed with none of the no smoking or seat belt signs on, I thought I'd better tell the cabin crew (who hadn't noticed) for exactly the reason mentioned by c-w-s - I didn't know whether it might have been a symptom of something more serious. We had a pause before taxi, the captain made a PA to say that seat belts would be notified via PA if the signs didn't work, and off we went. During the climb, the crew reset something and everything worked fine for the remainder of the flight, so fortunately nobody's sleep was disturbed.

I think that was the flight on which the consolation was arriving at A18, to my delight and the delight of all the crew.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapidex

Any Captain worth his salt could find enough trivial defects to ground every flight. Then no one gets home and things go from bad to worse. On a flight home best to just get on with it and get it fixed back at base if it is safe to do so.
Indeed....and a sizeable chunk of Avios thrown in for good measure. I never sleep well on an aircraft anyway even when the wife doesn't snore.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:17 pm

I suppose with the 787 issues and with BA already chartering in, the fleet is under pressure.

Never good to have panels falling off but I suppose if it's a choice between that and cancelling something while doing a fix you can see how it will pan out. Not very premium though really.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Joking aside, if a panel is loose before take off and you notice it and it looks dangerous, tell a member of cabin crew immediately and demand they fix it before take off.
What's on the floor won't chop your head off (or cause much of an injury for that matter) even if it fell off, so I don't see this one as looking dangerous. It looks slack. So does the can of something on the floor - either the cleaning standard if upon boarding, or the passenger self-discipline if someone dropped it and left it there, or both!.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What's on the floor won't chop your head off (or cause much of an injury for that matter) even if it fell off, so I don't see this one as looking dangerous. It looks slack. So does the can of something on the floor - either the cleaning standard if upon boarding, or the passenger self-discipline if someone dropped it and left it there, or both!.
It looms unattached to me....and the OP says the panels were loosely placed in position.

Good luck if you hit turbulence and they start flying around. At that point they may cease to be "on the floor".
SW7London and zanderblue like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by simons1
It looms unattached to me....and the OP says the panels were loosely placed in position.

Good luck if you hit turbulence and they start flying around. At that point they may cease to be "on the floor".
I know what I'd have done. I'd have asked a cabin crew member to have a look while on the ground, if required refer it to the higher up, and if nothing was done, I'd not delay the flight for this, and once in cruise I'd have asked if I could participate in fixing it, since I like fixing things.

Hitting the turbulence - probably no more dangerous than an iPad or laptop flying out. I'd probably have shoved it in the overhead locker if it becomes further dislodged, or if no time, shoved it under my bum or feet. I doubt it would move under my bum pressure.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:11 am

I know what I'd have done. I'd have asked a cabin crew member to have a look while on the ground, if required refer it to the higher up, and if nothing was done, I'd not delay the flight for this, and once in cruise I'd have asked if I could participate in fixing it, since I like fixing things.

Hitting the turbulence - probably no more dangerous than an iPad or laptop flying out. I'd probably have shoved it in the overhead locker if it becomes further dislodged, or if no time, shoved it under my bum or feet. I doubt it would move under my bum pressure.
I doubt you would have fixed it unless carrying a set of screws and screwdrivers.

Sitting on it, maybe, however I doubt it was what the OP had in mind when travelling WTP.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I doubt you would have fixed it unless carrying a set of screws and screwdrivers.

Sitting on it, maybe, however I doubt it was what the OP had in mind when travelling WTP.
It looks to me like it should just slot back into place. I don’t think it would require screws - the crew needs to get behind aircraft panelling in case of a fire and screwing it in place would prevent this from happening.
Granted, though, I’m about as far from an engineer as you can get so take that with a pinch of salt.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:01 am

This thread has reminded me of the 'tatty' 767 which according to reports on here flew for years despite having flashing cabin lights and more duct tape than B&Q holding things together. Didn't seem to put people off flying it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
This thread has reminded me of the 'tatty' 767 which according to reports on here flew for years despite having flashing cabin lights and more duct tape than B&Q holding things together. Didn't seem to put people off flying it.
The Disco plane...

Not sure how anybody would know they were on it until the light show started after take off.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The line panelling wasn't evident until take off, when one of them fell out. The passenger CSM was informed when she stopped by to apologise for the lighting problem. : she wasn't unduly bothered or interested.

So does the can of something on the floor - either the cleaning standard if upon boarding, or the passenger self-discipline if someone dropped it and left it there, or both!.
The can of tonic had been left there temporarily by occupant of the window seat while his tray table had been stowed in order to crawl around on the floor to put the panel back in place.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The Disco plane...

Not sure how anybody would know they were on it until the light show started after take off.
That was it. ^
Flew for years with the same cabin faults apparently. Some Flyertalkers became very attached to it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.