FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OW Lounge Finder (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1954353-ow-lounge-finder.html)

dycc Feb 2, 2019 3:56 pm

OW Lounge Finder

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.

The lounge finder on the OneWorld website seems to have changed and, somewhat worryingly, all lounges now state specific airlines. My recollection was that in the past some lounges would have specific airlines but others would say that all oneworld airlines were welcome.

Taking LHR T3, the AA lounge now only states the airlines is AA, the QF lounge now only states QF and the CX lounge now only states CX and AY. I know that has always been the official position, but I’m hoping we can still use, for example, the CX lounge when flying BA?

The _Banking_Scot Feb 2, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi,

Interesting . Thanks for that. At first glance it seems to be a backward step as it does not look as user friendly as the old version.

As far as I know, you can still use the CX lounge in T3 and there is no change to the access rules.

Regards

TBS

flyslow Feb 2, 2019 4:07 pm

Used AA lounge in T3 last week on BA ticket without issues. Would be a shame not be allowed to noodle bar any more :(

Pumplekin Feb 2, 2019 4:10 pm

Those are listing the official "recommended" lounges of each airline in the case of somewhere like T3.

As these T3 lounges are operated by the respective oneworld airlines though, standard oneworld eligibility applies. You can, with a biz ticket or oneworld sapphire membership go to any of the T3, oneworld operated biz lounges. Similarly for a first ticket / oneworld emerald membership to any of the first class lounges.

Where you need to care about it is in places where the lounge is a third party lounge. Then, one oneworld airline may have a contract with them, but another may not. An example of this is Tallinn (TLL). It is an airport run lounge (so not run by a oneworld airline), and you will get access flying Finnair, but not flying BA. I know this is a bit moot because BA will stop flying to TLL in April anyway, but it is the only current example I could think of. I used to run into it a lot flying to Porto (OPO) but BA do now contract the lounge.

Oneworld eligibility rules only apply when the lounge is actually operated by a oneworld airline.

Mwenenzi Feb 2, 2019 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by dycc (Post 30732467)
The lounge finder on the OneWorld website seems to have changed and, somewhat worryingly, all lounges now state specific airlines. My recollection was that in the past some lounges would have specific airlines but others would say that all oneworld airlines were welcome.

Taking LHR T3, the AA lounge now only states the airlines is AA, the QF lounge now only states QF and the CX lounge now only states CX and AY. I know that has always been the official position, but I’m hoping we can still use, for example, the CX lounge when flying BA?

The new OW lounge finder is trash.

For example at SYD T1 international the only people that an use the QF business lounge are flyers on Qatar. Not QF, AA, BA, LA, CX

However at SYD T1 international its seems flyers on all OW airlines can use the exclusive First class lounge. That is a big change. Or a big error.

The work experience high school kids that OW engaged to rehash/trash the OW web site did a poor job

CD747 Feb 2, 2019 4:24 pm

I use the OW lounge finder quite a lot and while the UI has had a minor refresh, it would be surprising to me if the underlying data had changed as part of that update as opposed to independently!

The previous lounge finder stated airlines, just not as explicitly. Those logos in the (former) top right corner are equivalent to the airlines now listed under the “airlines” section.

Mwenenzi Feb 2, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by CD747 (Post 30732545)
I use the OW lounge finder quite a lot and while the UI has had a minor refresh, it would be surprising to me if the underlying data had changed as part of that update as opposed to independently!

Has changed for Australia.
Link--->https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SYD
For SYD T1 First lounge there is no requirements for status or first class travel. Everyone flying on a OW airline can enter ^ :).
The other lounges list status or class of travel prerequisites.

MEL is a little different --->https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=MEL

sxc Feb 2, 2019 9:25 pm

This new lounge finder is particularly annoying for BA as BA doesn’t have its own list of lounges for their flights.

subject2load Feb 2, 2019 10:46 pm

The anomalies described above by Mwenenzi above are not unique to SYD. Far from it.

The entry for LHR is quite a mess overall - and for all I know, there could well be countless other errors and misleading info around the global OW lounge network listings (haven’t the time / motivation to look at each & every entry)

In the case of the ‘British Airways Galleries First Lounge’ at T5, there is (as with SYD First) a total absence of access requirements in terms of status or cabin class ; and even the Concorde Room listing is weirdly silent on that aspect. It’s apparently much tougher to get into Galleries Club, where eligibility specifics are clearly set out in detail ! All manner of other inconsistencies appear through the various other LHR listings. And that’s just one city.

Some of the photos included across the pages manage to combine pointless-ness with dreadful quality. A few examples amongst many spotted during just my brief perusal of this revamped OW site : the two for the AA Admirals Club at LHR T3 are both horribly out-of-focus. The second (of two) photos in the entry for ‘Qantas International First’ at SYD T1 is an image of a plain white ceiling - and nothing else.

Familiar quips about interns or work experience kids being given responsibilities way above their ability can be a little overdone at times. But in the case of this OW rebranding and supposedly bright new presentation, there really is every impression of a school project which hasn’t been checked by teacher before being pinned with pride on the classroom wall. Or - in British as opposed to OneWorld speak - it’s all a bit of a horlicks, with a LOT of tidy-up needed.

Must do better !! :o

vintagepilot Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am

It is pretty poor - just checking for CDG and it has Sapphire and Emerald listed for very lounge (bar the Qatar Premium Lounge) - including the Air France and Star Alliance lounges. Lounge Buddy seems to have the same information which according to the usual Oneworld rules, and the lounge database on here, appears to be incorrect.

Prospero Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 30774238)
It is pretty poor - just checking for CDG and it has Sapphire and Emerald listed for very lounge (bar the Qatar Premium Lounge) - including the Air France and Star Alliance lounges. Lounge Buddy seems to have the same information which according to the usual Oneworld rules, and the lounge database on here, appears to be incorrect.

I think the info on CDG in the oneworld lounge finder is generally correct provided you approach it with some understanding on how the rules work. In other words it isn't entirely intuitive.

Taking the Sheltair Lounge in CDG terminal 2D for example. It's a contract lounge for Finnair passengers. So proving you are travelling on a AY flight, you may use this lounge by virtue of class of travel (business) or oneworld status (Sapphire or Emerald)

vintagepilot Feb 13, 2019 1:22 pm

OK, thanks, but as you say, not very intuitive. We are outbound on an AA flight and were hoping to use the Cathay Lounge - but applying your logic, and the wording of the OW lounge finder, that would seem only to be available if we were flying on BA or Cathay ... I must be missing something?

Prospero Feb 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 30774660)
OK, thanks, but as you say, not very intuitive. We are outbound on an AA flight and were hoping to use the Cathay Lounge - but applying your logic, and the wording of the OW lounge finder, that would seem only to be available if we were flying on BA or Cathay ... I must be missing something?

Here, the more general oneworld rules apply whereby lounges operated by another oneworld carrier may be used, providing the lounge is open and there are no capacity restrictions in place. As the CX lounge at CDG is fairly large and is open pretty much all day, you will be able to pop in before boarding your AA flight.