Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ORC for same-day change on AA, with downgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite

Question about Original routing credit: I'm flying in the USA on a 125 ticket, crediting to BAEC. I decided to get an earlier flight, but there was no "first class" (D) availability so my rebooked flights are in the AA premium plus cabin.

Considering this was me electing to get different flights, im wondering if it's possible to get original routing credit (I..E 40TP / segment) or if my volunteering to get another flight means that I will only get 10.

Has anyone tried? What will BA say?

​​​
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
ORC is for when the airline changes your flight/ route / cabin not when you do it voluntarily
orbitmic and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
ORC is for when the airline changes your flight/ route / cabin not when you do it voluntarily
that said, I have been given ORC in the exact circumstances that the OP mentioned. YMMV.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Because your underlying ticket probably hasn't been changed, you may find it credits as Y/D anyway and you get the normal D fare TPs and avios.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Both answers are correct: in many cases (but not always) the system will automatically credit you for J. However, when it doesn't - and that happens too - you are not eligible for ORC as it was effectively your choice to pick an earlier flight in Y rather than your original, normally functioning flight in first.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree with orbitmic. The OP will get one or the other, it will depend how the gate handled the ticket (you will have noticed the gate agents there seem to do a lot of typing before boarding starts) and it also depends on the sector immediately before too, in terms of the ticket process flow. So the OP will be able to get some TPs and Avios if revenue, but if it is the lower amount associated with Main Cabin travel then there is no come back, it is what it is. In the case of AA as the main ORC thread shows albeit inconsistently, even if there was an involuntary downgrade on a AA marketed ticket, you may end up with the TPs / Avios as travelled rather as paid for. That guide is in the Dashboard.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerub
Question about Original routing credit: I'm flying in the USA on a 125 ticket, crediting to BAEC. I decided to get an earlier flight, but there was no "first class" (D) availability so my rebooked flights are in the AA premium plus cabin.

Considering this was me electing to get different flights, im wondering if it's possible to get original routing credit (I..E 40TP / segment) or if my volunteering to get another flight means that I will only get 10.

Has anyone tried? What will BA say?

​​​
I've done it before, got the tps/avios for the originally booked class - posted as 'Y/D' or sth like this with a flight number I've flown.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I've asked politely using the instructions at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html to email BA. I quite like the format of the letter, so I used it nearly exactly, except explaining that the agent at check-in moved my flights forward for me instead of claiming anything to do with it being an IRROP.

Will see what happens. Thanks for the advice, anecdotes and expectation setting. If I get a 'no', I'll just drop it.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Thanks. I've asked politely using the instructions at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html to email BA. I quite like the format of the letter, so I used it nearly exactly, except explaining that the agent at check-in moved my flights forward for me instead of claiming anything to do with it being an IRROP.

Will see what happens. Thanks for the advice, anecdotes and expectation setting. If I get a 'no', I'll just drop it.
Has the flight actually posted to your BAEC account yet?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Yep. Posted as Y/O, for 5 TP! Instead of D for 40. Makes it doubly worth it to ask for ORC.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
you aren’t entitled to ORC and saying that the agent brought your flight forward is somewhat questionable in morality IMHO.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It sounds to me as though OP used AA's same day change facility which would be fee-free for a person with OP's OW status. That will have been coded as a voluntary change and reporting this as the "agent brought my flight forward" won't fool BA or AA.

OP will either get the ORC because of the coding or he won't. It is not due to him as he was free to reject the free change he asked for, but the system is imperfect and this is a place where it sometimes works to the passenger's benefit. Just stick to the truth and it will work out just as well or better.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by navylad
you aren’t entitled to ORC and saying that the agent brought your flight forward is somewhat questionable in morality IMHO.
I mostly disagree, because the OP paid for the higher class of travel, but accepted a downgrade to travel sooner. The OP didn't claim to lie and say it was due to IRROPs. I don't see this as being immoral, and really I don't see it as being any different than getting onboard and offering to sit in an economy seat to be next to your spouse, giving someone else a free upgrade.

AA does things a lot differently in that in many ways they sort of take the mindset of selling you passage first and then charging a premium for traveling in more comfort. They're often surprised when I ask about same day flight change and that I only want to accept an earlier flight if I stay in my higher class of service.

Now whether or not AA will approve the ORC for this scenario remains to be seen, but the OP did pay for the higher class of service and already suffered enough traveling in a lower class of service, so why also remove them of the tier points for which they paid?
jerub likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

Good luck, and I'm glad you liked my letter format. I feel like if BA can use templated replies to most of their passengers, we should be able to do the same for our requests!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dylanks
I mostly disagree, because the OP paid for the higher class of travel, but accepted a downgrade to travel sooner. The OP didn't claim to lie and say it was due to IRROPs. I don't see this as being immoral, and really I don't see it as being any different than getting onboard and offering to sit in an economy seat to be next to your spouse, giving someone else a free upgrade.

AA does things a lot differently in that in many ways they sort of take the mindset of selling you passage first and then charging a premium for traveling in more comfort. They're often surprised when I ask about same day flight change and that I only want to accept an earlier flight if I stay in my higher class of service.

Now whether or not AA will approve the ORC for this scenario remains to be seen, but the OP did pay for the higher class of service and already suffered enough traveling in a lower class of service, so why also remove them of the tier points for which they paid?
By your logic, anyone who requested change to an earlier flight would automatically be entitled to the higher TPs and this simple is not the case, the OP has been awarded the correct TPs for the flight they took at their choice.

I refer you to the AA guide on ORC FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd), clearly voluntarily taking SDFC means that even in AA’s own programme you get the miles for the flight that is actually flown.

Concealing the fact that it was a voluntary change in my opinion is wrong and demonstrates insight.

Last edited by navylad; Feb 4, 2019 at 5:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.