Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Uses a fax in this day and age

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:37 am

Healthcare. We are only able to send patient information and sensitive documents via fax
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jerry305
Doctors' offices.
My employer's main phone number is one digit away from the fax number of some kind of clinic.

I haven't figured out if the cause is sloppy doctor handwriting, or carelessness on the part of doctors' assistants, but we get a ton of fax attempts to our phone number, from doctors' offices across the city.
When I was a medical student (in NHS in the late 2000s), a fax machine on a ward had a sometimes faxed number programmed into the speed-dial incorrectly.

The result was that a butcher the other side of town occasionally received confidential information about patients meant for another healthcare professional.

The NHS Trust was slapped quite strongly for it (and rightly so). The sooner they are gone (especially from healthcare) the better.
Brendan and jerry305 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by codfather
Fax used to be such an amazing new technology in the 1990s! Oh, how the times have changed...hahaha
I am at an age where I have seen lots of wonderful inventions.
  1. As a young civil engineer back in the late 70's I worked on a site where they had this thing called a photo copier. The copy can out of the machine wet and you had to hang it up to dry
  2. Moving on into the mid 80's I worked in anoffice where they had a telex machine. Allowed you to contact people all round the world.
  3. Then finally the fax machine
People these days don't realise how easy ther have it.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My local pizzeria will deliver pizzas by fax. No tipping the delivery guy required.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I recently flew RJ on a BA 125 ticket but the tier points / miles failed to appear. I visited the web site and RJ are not in the drop down list so it was print this form and fax it. I completed the form, copied the boarding pass as requested and approached the BA lounge agent to ask if I could use their fax, to which she retorted "Who Uses a fax in this day and age". to which I replied BA apparently. Eventually arrived in GF at T5 where I was able to fax but this seems so outdated in a modern age. Got to be a better solution in this era.
Slightly off topic but....as a healthcare professional, we still have hospitals and healthcare clinics and pharmacies that still uses faxes ALL THE TIME.

I used to think it's so outdated but I realized there are still clear advantages to fax machines:
  • Minimize errors with email addresses, people not checking an email, or scan issues
  • The faxed pages are directly printed to the recipient, if you email/scan, someone still has to print it out from an email which requires personnel/resources to manage
  • In my line of work, certain prescription orders/authorizations or medical forms cannot be sent electronically via an email/website connection
royng likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
With a several clients at work they will only exchange contracts by fax for security due to the reduced risk of interception They will then only issue information regarding their assets by DVD transferred by hand.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Agent69
I am at an age where I have seen lots of wonderful inventions.
  1. As a young civil engineer back in the late 70's I worked on a site where they had this thing called a photo copier. The copy can out of the machine wet and you had to hang it up to dry
Sounds more like a Gestetner machine if the product was wet. Ah, the school days of purple and blue ink on cheap arsed recycled copy paper.

But on the OP's fax question, I use an email fax service. I get/send faxes maybe twice a week, unless it's a Japanese client in which case almost everything of any importance is done by fax.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Surprised nobody has said it yet... But, a lot of companies that require you to "send a fax" (or "mail a letter") to get routine customer service business done, make a complaint / request, send in a form, cancel a subscription, etc. -- like in the case in OP -- do it on purpose to make the process as draconian as possible. This way, people don't bother, and they have less work to deal with or can make more money out of you.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
  • Minimize errors with email addresses, people not checking an email, or scan issues
I suppose someone could still enter the wrong fax number when sending it?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Sounds more like a Gestetner machine if the product was wet.
No, there really were wet process photocopying machines. These were superseded by dry xerography machines that then became ubiquitous.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy
I suppose someone could still enter the wrong fax number when sending it?
I mean yeah for sure, any mechanized/computerized machine can have user input errors...same thing with emails and other document delivery systems...heck even good old postal mail system if the input is wrong the delivery won't work right....
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Quote---- No, there really were wet process photocopying machines. These were superseded by dry xerography machines that then became ubiquitous. ---quote

I used one. It was twice the machine you might imagine, because it made negatives. You had to wait for the negative to dry, before doing the final stage. For a while it only worked 3 days a week.

It was out of the door as quick as you like once the xerox machine came along. (ca. 1974)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My old fax toll free number was close to some other business, and I’d get a few faxes each year with tons of personal info on their faxes. Health insurance type claims.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
When I was a medical student (in NHS in the late 2000s), a fax machine on a ward had a sometimes faxed number programmed into the speed-dial incorrectly.

The result was that a butcher the other side of town occasionally received confidential information about patients meant for another healthcare professional.

The NHS Trust was slapped quite strongly for it (and rightly so). The sooner they are gone (especially from healthcare) the better.
I agree. Although the transmission is more secure than email, there is no control over what happens to the paper spat out by the fax, and no controlling for entering the wrong number. For those reasons, my healthcare organisation uses email, but for sensitive data only across its own encrypted network.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, there really were wet process photocopying machines. These were superseded by dry xerography machines that then became ubiquitous.
Fair enough. Glad I missed them entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.