Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:52 am
formerly JackDann

I'm holding back on booking over Christmas until I know for certain as to if these aircraft will be fitted with the new CW cabin. Flying from Belfast / Dublin, BA has the best connecting route. Qatar is another option of course, but i'm not a fan of splitting the journey up and would rather get a decent long haul in.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JackDann
I'm holding back on booking over Christmas until I know for certain as to if these aircraft will be fitted with the new CW cabin. Flying from Belfast / Dublin, BA has the best connecting route. Qatar is another option of course, but i'm not a fan of splitting the journey up and would rather get a decent long haul in.
If you mean the new CW suite seats then I very much doubt BKK will see them this year. The A350s are not going to BKK, and the refitted/new 777 are the -300ER variants I believe which don't go to BKK either. I would just book QR now (or when they have a good sale).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:03 am
formerly JackDann

Thanks for this, info. Trying to work out a decent QR route from Northern Ireland / Ireland where i'd get the Q-Suites. Easier said than done though!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you mean the new CW suite seats then I very much doubt BKK will see them this year. The A350s are not going to BKK, and the refitted/new 777 are the -300ER variants I believe which don't go to BKK either. I would just book QR now (or when they have a good sale).
The two B777s getting the new Club Suites this year are 4 class -200s.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The two B777s getting the new Club Suites this year are 4 class -200s.
Aha, thanks. For some reason I thought they were going on the 300s.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Yes it is.
This could soon be a sticky methinks
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:47 pm

Thought to post here rather than start a new thread - what is the consensus on best lounge options for the BA10 BKK- LHR flight? I understand Cathay will be open but I know JAL and Qatar have changed their opening hours recently. I’d like to try all three if I can. Any tips?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer
Thought to post here rather than start a new thread - what is the consensus on best lounge options for the BA10 BKK- LHR flight? I understand Cathay will be open but I know JAL and Qatar have changed their opening hours recently. I’d like to try all three if I can. Any tips?
Latest opening hours for QR at BKK are not ideal for BA10

05:00-08:40
16:00-20:40
23:10-01:40

There is a dedicated thread for the BKK lounge over in the QR forum
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
The Cathay lounge has nice champagne and good snacks.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Personally, I prefer CX to JL, and depending on your time of arrival at the airport I guess that is the only option for a OW lounge.
JL is only open until JL32 departs, which is at 9;45am and thus it closes a bit early for BA9 (which is suffering from pretty consistent delays these days). CX generally gets pretty crowded around the BA10 departure though.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:27 am

Thanks very much guys, and yes I had found the dedicated Qatar page but thought to ask here to get the perspective of BA10 users.

Reckon it’s worth getting there early to catch the tail end of the Qatar and/or JAL opening times before heading into CX until boarding?

And yes noted re: repeat delays to BA10 - any idea what the problem is?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Sat in BKK CX now and the BA10 departed over two hours late... thankfully I’m via KUL tonight,

My next MH to KUL is after 5pm, is it worth popping in QR?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Sat in BKK CX now and the BA10 departed over two hours late... thankfully I’m via KUL tonight,

My next MH to KUL is after 5pm, is it worth popping in QR?
Yes, do pop into QR if it’s open, but I remember it being closed around this time until maybe 4:30pm.. there should be a sign outside with opening times.

I also route via KL or HK now, can’t face the BA10.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Was in the CX lounge last month for BA10 with a 2 hour delay, very comfortable lounge with good food and drink options, I'd not bother going elsewhere unless terminally curious.
The noodle bar had perfect breakfast and lunch options.
If flying alone there are a great set of seats to the right after entering, opposite the bar, nice comfy loungers (with power sockets in the side table drawer FYI) that overlook the planes.

And yes noted re: repeat delays to BA10 - any idea what the problem is?
I believe they are still re-routing around Pakistan airspace AFAIK, these are consistent delays at the moment at BA will usually be in touch to inform you ahead of the flight.
You can then take some extra time in the morning to get breakfast in town/at your hotel rather than waiting at the airport for hours.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Reckon it’s worth getting there early to catch the tail end of the Qatar and/or JAL opening times before heading into CX until boarding?

Assuming you can get airside that early, and enjoy trying out new lounges (which I do as a bit of a nerd), then I'd say yes.

I did a very brief and amateur video of the JAL lounge in BKK shortly after it opened a couple of years ago. It's pleasant enough but at the end of the day it is a waiting room with free food and beverage.

I consider the QR lounge to be a much more pleasant place to spend time, and most importantly they serve Bolly, or at least they were on Sunday. They do cocktails too, but the staff aren't what I'd consider properly trained bartenders if the Espresso martini they served is anything to go by. In comparison, in the QR LHR lounge and the Al Safwa lounge in DOH, they do know what they're doing in the cocktail department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.