Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by subject2load

I think Gulf Air would be a very good option for anyone happy with a transit in BAH. Used to fly them regularly when living out in the Gulf some years back. Have no recent personal experience of their current J product but have seen many positive reports.

Taking a random trip... out from LHR to BKK on Feb 20, and back March 03, GF will take you in biz for Ł2439 (although there are several cheaper alternatives with other quality carriers, including the likes of Emirates or Finnair).

BA non-stop would of course have the edge in terms of speed - although on the very same dates you would have to pay Ł5564 for the privilege. So ..... a little over Ł3000 more than Gulf Air. There are times when BA fares are more closely aligned versus GF.

except of course on the dates you have shown, it is cheaper to fly BA then QR via DOh at Ł2265, so any business that was looking to fly their employees from A to B can choose to save the Ł3k by flying a connecting and lengthy route, or go for P2P and it a premium for doing so (and let’s face it the deltais unlikely to be as large for large corporates.

aa has been said and is often said on these kind of repetitive discussions on here, it is indeed dependent on your needs and wants, the value of this community is to share the experience so that people or indeed their business can choose a product that best meets their needs.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by navylad

except of course on the dates you have shown, it is cheaper to fly BA then QR via DOh at Ł2265, so any business that was looking to fly their employees from A to B can choose to save the Ł3k by flying a connecting and lengthy route, or go for P2P and it a premium for doing so ..........

I think there are some folk who might be less than enamoured with BA’s current biz class product to DOH and who would prefer to pay less than that and use Emirates.

EK’s lowest J fares are often ex-LGW rather than ex-LHR ; but with a complimentary chauffeur drive service to & from the airports at both ends (and onboard lounge bar on the A380), it’s undoubtedly a very attractive option for many.

Lots of choice from UK to BKK

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
This isnt what the crew said, but even so an English breakfast is a hot breakfast so it still is confusing. Now 'Omelette or English breakfast?' makes sense...
Only to someone from the U.K. Having flown that route a number of times recently, I witnessed the crew having to explain to non English people exactly what an English breakfast was. Most people just didn’t have a clue.
I found the crew very friendly and engaging and had the same experience going to Buenos Aires recently too. They seem genuinely eager to help and talk to you and when you go to the galley to get something (I’m not an invalid so I refuse to use the call button) they immediately engage you.
In contrast, coming back from Singapore, having meekly enquired about pretzels I was told that there weren’t any in such an aggressive tone that other people looked up and I was embarrassed into silence.
After dinner that was it, they never came through the cabins again and when one went to the galley one was met with a stony morose silence.
Like everything else, service varies but I’d far rather have someone who was friendly and chatty but maybe didn’t know everything, than competent but unfriendly service. After all, they can improve, whereas bad attitudes will always be that.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by subject2load

I think there are some folk who might be less than enamoured with BA’s current biz class product to DOH and who would prefer to pay less than that and use Emirates.

EK’s lowest J fares are often ex-LGW rather than ex-LHR ; but with a complimentary chauffeur drive service to & from the airports at both ends (and onboard lounge bar on the A380), it’s undoubtedly a very attractive option for many.

Lots of choice from UK to BKK

indeed there is a lot of indirect choices, but only Eva, Thair and BA direct I believe. So as to why would anyone wish to fly on BA LHR-BKK, there is an answer.

Personally im flying via DOH in April and paid around the 1.2k mark.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by navylad

indeed there is a lot of indirect choices, but only Eva, Thair and BA direct I believe. So as to why would anyone wish to fly on BA LHR-BKK, there is an answer.

Personally im flying via DOH in April and paid around the 1.2k mark.
That 1.2k is ex EU right ? Where from ?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN

That 1.2k is ex EU right ? Where from ?
yes GOT
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:00 am
formerly JackDann

Any chance this route might be may be updated to use a newer aircraft, or even an upgraded cabin by the end of the year. I've done this route before, and as everyone has mentioned, it is awful.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The first of the aircraft type that operates the BKK flights is being refitted as we speak but it is a LGW based aircraft, depending on the speed of these refits I would expect to see some of the LHR based ones fitted later this year.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by walkingtall
Flew from London- Bangkok couple of days ago, from previous comments i wasn't expecting anything special but seriously it was worse then i was expecting....

Crew although very chatty, they seriously didn't have a clue about the service order which became clear later when 2 CC mentioned they had only finished Club World training last Saturday.

Meal Service took 3.5 hours from take off too Completion, drinks didn't appear until 45 mins after ordering, no drinks trolley, it was a complete organised chaos.

Menus given out, when it came to ordering , what was displayed was actually half not available and chicken and pork dishes added to the menu , it was a complete mess and confusion.

Breakfast cards given out, i didn't complete mine as the last thing on my mind was breakfast at 3.30pm , i was told i MUST complete if i wanted any breakfast, i declined and just had coffee the next morning, one comment about breakfast most of the passengers didn't have a clue when asked "are you ready for your HOT" wouldn't it be easier and more clear to say " Hot Breakfast or English Breakfast"

AVOD -i wasn't expecting anything special but it was pretty poor and needed re starting twice.

On the plus side Flight was smooth and arrived on time, Crew polite but very inexperienced.
I've stupidly booked this one in J for Christmas, reading this is making me regret this choice
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
I've stupidly booked this one in J for Christmas, reading this is making me regret this choice
I really don’t think you should worry - I’ve mentioned it a few times on similar threads but the CW cabin is exactly the same as every other BA aircraft with the exception of poor IFE but just bring your own (iPad perhaps?) and there is genuinely no difference - I might have been lucky but done the route 3 times this year and cabin was very clean each time- the issue for me is the timings of the flight being truly hideous but I guess you knew that when you booked.
SKT-DK and IslingtonFlyer like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris9642

I really don’t think you should worry - I’ve mentioned it a few times on similar threads but the CW cabin is exactly the same as every other BA aircraft with the exception of poor IFE but just bring your own (iPad perhaps?) and there is genuinely no difference - I might have been lucky but done the route 3 times this year and cabin was very clean each time- the issue for me is the timings of the flight being truly hideous but I guess you knew that when you booked.
Totally agree - thousands of people "survive" in CW every week on these aircraft at LGW and LHR, and downstairs on the old 744s. If you're going to worry over this - book QR / AY / other.
IslingtonFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Totally agree - thousands of people "survive" in CW every week on these aircraft at LGW and LHR, and downstairs on the old 744s. If you're going to worry over this - book QR / AY / other.
Its just a first world problem, I should be grateful for being able to travel in J, timing wise it works perfectly for me and it was cheap so have to remind myself to just sit back, relax and enjoy the flight
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
Its just a first world problem, I should be grateful for being able to travel in J, timing wise it works perfectly for me and it was cheap so have to remind myself to just sit back, relax and enjoy the flight
Absolutely baffled that people are OK with the state of the IFE on this aircraft and having to bring their own entertainment.

Thailand is a holiday destination and I'd imagine a lot of pax in CW will be having their first BA experience. BA need to sort it out as, frankly, the state of these planes is unacceptable in 2019.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Absolutely baffled that people are OK with the state of the IFE on this aircraft and having to bring their own entertainment.

Thailand is a holiday destination and I'd imagine a lot of pax in CW will be having their first BA experience. BA need to sort it out as, frankly, the state of these planes is unacceptable in 2019.
I always bring my Mac loaded with movies - it’s not limited to these aircraft - my last 777-300 flight from SYD had an IFE failure as did my last A380 flight. If you are able to bring your own then all other aspects of the cabin and service are identifical to any other BA experience.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Flew BA9 / BA10 recently in CW. After having read recent threads I was expecting the worst ... but everything was fine. IFE worked (although the picture definition on the outward flight should have been better); all the films that I hoped to find in the selection were there; the crew were excellent on both flights; and the relatively meals were served in a timely fashion. The wine was ok too.

Both flights arrived late due to the ATC restrictions over Pakistan.

The only real gripe I have is not restricted to this route–but to the aircraft: Excessive vibration in row 11 seats (due to engines?). May start a new thread on this.

Not the very best that BA can offer; and falls far short of other carriers' offerings–but as Mrs 'Up In The Air' pointed out: We could have been travelling just a few metres further back in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.