Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sign47
Surely it is known by BA that the BA09 flight is poor? It seems it's only good value if you are starting ex-AMS. It's an old plane, about the worst quality AVOD/IFE that BA has on any long haul flight. Then there is the numerous reports of mixed fleet performance.

I know it's largely a leisure destination but because improvements have not been made over in recent years there is a stigma attached to this route. Many of the more savvy travellers would fly Qatar or Cathy or even MH and change rather than take the BA direct flight. After years of flying this route both in Club and Economy I doubt I'd ever consider it again and would hunt for better value flights with Qatar or Cathy or even MH.

If I decide I need the Tier Points or Avios or the BA metal flights for renewing BAEC status I'd just fly to KUL or HKG or SIN and transfer from there up to BKK.
I agree with the comment that there are better value other airlines. In Thailand as I write. After last year's poor BA flight to BKK I booked MH for the princely sum of £1801 which included CE from ABZ - LHR and business to BKK via KUL and return. Service and quality of food were 1st class.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

Pretty sure I’ve just seen the crew enjoying their Saturday evening in BKK - maybe they need the respite after such a long flight on a 777-200 just as much as the passengers. Won’t say where I spotted them as I know it’s been a sensitive issue in the past!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Chris9642

They aren’t old by BA fleet standards - last time I flew BKK the 3 class aircraft was only 9 years old - only a little older than some of the A380s.
The BKK-LHR crate I flew last month was nearly 20 years old - that said, the crew and food were OK, and as others have commented, the IFE was hopeless.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well I don’t and find it totally unacceptable, how things have changed and not for the good!
Why people accept unprofessional service is beyond me, I enjoy the banter as much as anyone but I never forget that what I say and how I act represents BA, what I say on here, well that a different matter.
Good crew quickly assess passengers on a long haul flight and adapt their delivery & style to match. This will give the passenger a better overall experience. For example, a flight to Boston (in F) where I was jokingly chastised for not drinking my champagne quickly enough, brought 2 desserts and left with the box of chocolates for a good half hour. On a different trip, on the return from Boston (this time in CW) I asked for a glass of the "pinot noir" which was greeted with a blank expression. After repeating myself, I realised the crew member had no idea so I resorted to "the American red".
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:27 am

No idea why anyone subjects themself to this when Gulfair fly to Bangkok with brand new biz class.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Good crew quickly assess passengers on a long haul flight and adapt their delivery & style to match. This will give the passenger a better overall experience. For example, a flight to Boston (in F) where I was jokingly chastised for not drinking my champagne quickly enough, brought 2 desserts and left with the box of chocolates for a good half hour. On a different trip, on the return from Boston (this time in CW) I asked for a glass of the "pinot noir" which was greeted with a blank expression. After repeating myself, I realised the crew member had no idea so I resorted to "the American red".
Interesting, the two different fleets operate the BOS flights.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Don't. Fly. BA. Problem. Solved.

Both Thai and EVA fly LHR-BKK nonstop with far better seats and service. If you're a slave to Avios, then fly QR or MH with a simple connection.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
And there’s me thinking you were beginning to love us SFO777, NOT!
SFO777 and Grande Annee like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Don't. Fly. BA. Problem. Solved.

Both Thai and EVA fly LHR-BKK nonstop with far better seats and service. If you're a slave to Avios, then fly QR or MH with a simple connection.
I've flown Thai on various aircraft but I really like their A380 Y product, I've also flown Eva on their ultra long haul ORD-TPE-BKK route in Y+ and I thought it was excellent too. QR are my airline of choice in J, They are are simply outstanding Qsuite or non-Qsuite. The problem with these airlines however is that it is nearly impossible to get a cheap J fare on the first 2 and the QR cheap J fares have almost completely disappeared too. BA's J class fares out of AMS for ~ £1300 are great value.

One big redeeming factor for BA9 is that it is still 9 abreast in Y (for now!!). AFAIK the ME3 are operating 10 abreast 777s and Cathay and Eva are switching over at least some of their fleet.

Last edited by capin; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by smokie36
No idea why anyone subjects themself to this when Gulfair fly to Bangkok with brand new biz class.
Really? Unfortunately, I can only see Gulf Air flights to Bahrain.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Really? Unfortunately, I can only see Gulf Air flights to Bahrain.
I think Gulf Air would be a very good option for anyone happy with a transit in BAH. Used to fly them regularly when living out in the Gulf some years back. Have no recent personal experience of their current J product but have seen many positive reports.

Taking a random trip... out from LHR to BKK on Feb 20, and back March 03, GF will take you in biz for £2439 (although there are several cheaper alternatives with other quality carriers, including the likes of Emirates or Finnair).

BA non-stop would of course have the edge in terms of speed - although on the very same dates you would have to pay £5564 for the privilege. So ..... a little over £3000 more than Gulf Air. There are times when BA fares are more closely aligned versus GF.

Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
I think Gulf Air would be a very good option for anyone happy with a transit in BAH. Used to fly them regularly when living out in the Gulf some years back.
But did you regularly fly GF between London and Bangkok? And did you regularly fly GF between London and Bangkok when you had to function at the end of the trips in both directions?

When someone (not you) says "No idea why anyone subjects themself to" non-stop flights to their destination, they may not have the perspective of a person for whom travel is simply the means for getting to a place where they have important things to do.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But did you regularly fly GF between London and Bangkok? And did you regularly fly GF between London and Bangkok when you had to function at the end of the trips in both directions?

When someone (not you) says "No idea why anyone subjects themself to" non-stop flights to their destination, they may not have the perspective of a person for whom travel is simply the means for getting to a place where they have important things to do.
In response to your question : I’m very conscious of the fundamental difference in priorities and relevant criteria between leisure and business travel, and your comments are very valid ; and no, it’s not a route I flew regularly.

That said, I’m the sort of individual who invariably struggles to manage more than four or five hours ‘proper’ sleep on even the very longest of flights. And so, an indirect routing such as Gulf Air’s, with lie-flats on all sectors, would at least assure me of that. And I do know, from past experience, that I can indeed function - for just a couple of days either side of a trip, pending a prompt return to a more conventional bedroom in hotel or home - in that way.

But my wider point, within the context of the thread overall was simply to highlight an alternative option and the stark gap between a J class fare with BA (on the dates quoted) versus one available with GF, same origin / destination. I think the £3000+ saving with GF would prove very attractive to some businesses (whether small scale or large plc) - not to mention leisure pax of course.

Horses for courses and all that, I guess !
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
Horses for courses and all that, I guess !
It is indeed - which is why different people end up choosing different solutions for their particular needs and parameters on any particular trip, and why some individual people may pick a different solution for each trip to the same destination.

Some FTers routinely make comments here that can only come from looking at travel choices through a particular and rather narrow lens. In truth, just as ex-EU is not the answer to every travel query, flying a Middle East airline is not the solution for every trip to the Far East.
navylad likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I have had some woeful service with MF in F over the years, just soooooo inexperienced.

That said i had one of my best ever flights last year in F. Both cabin crew looking after F had been with BA MF for about 3 years (and both were not as young as the vast majority of MF crew), and they gave a very polished friendly service which I could not fault. 'Welldone' messages were submitted via ba.com.
Unfortunately from my experience most MF crew are just so young and struggle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.