Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The route doesn't have it's own dedicated crew, so surely all the service criticisms are of BA generally?

It's become this self perpetuating dogma on FT that the Bangkok route is so terrible. In reality the planes that fly the route also fly to other places, the crew on the route also fly to other places etc etc

Yes the sub-fleet used for Bangkok (and others) are older and in particular the IFE, but the overall experience in any cabin other than WTP is not really that different than any other BA flight. It amazes me the default advice is to waste time routing via HKG or KUL just for a marginally better experience. If you're that sensitive to the experience then don't fly BA, there are dozens to choose from to Bangkok.
SKT-DK, Ldnn1 and Saladman like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The route doesn't have it's own dedicated crew, so surely all the service criticisms are of BA generally?

It's become this self perpetuating dogma on FT that the Bangkok route is so terrible. In reality the planes that fly the route also fly to other places, the crew on the route also fly to other places etc etc

Yes the sub-fleet used for Bangkok (and others) are older and in particular the IFE, but the overall experience in any cabin other than WTP is not really that different than any other BA flight. It amazes me the default advice is to waste time routing via HKG or KUL just for a marginally better experience. If you're that sensitive to the experience then don't fly BA, there are dozens to choose from to Bangkok.
Totally agree - not sure why BKK is singled out - these aircraft serve multiple routes and the IFE is a known problem - bring an iPad and to your point - the rest of the experience is exactly the same! I’ve been on Y-MMB multiple times over last few months and she’s immaculate inside - must have had a decent clean!

The issue with this route is the timing !!!
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The rant sounds like my last MCO-LGW sector. That was on a clapped out 777-200 too and I vowed never again. I have a flight to BKK in a few weeks and for that reason I booked it via SIN on the 380 and onwards 2 days later on CX.

I know I am getting into dangerous territory here, but I also have a problem with some of the newer crew, who despite being very friendly often speak a level of English sometimes not easily understood by some of us more "mature" types. Vocabulary and pronunciation changes with time, but I do still believe that there should be minimum standards. I feel these are often no longer met and it does not fit in with BA's projected and advertised image of a premium cabin.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:31 am

I'm not sure why BA doesn't have a 787 on this route if it comes down to being a leisure route and therefore less important financially. Given the flight time, at least give passengers the latest IFE system. With BA clearly not meeting an important number of passengers' expectations on this long flight, why are people not choosing alternative carriers? I use BA a lot, but would not fly with them to BKK. 12hr flights on old 777s, including a daylight return, is not how I want to travel.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by walkingtall
Noted about the trolley, i have not flown BA long haul for quite a while due to other airlines offering better connections from Indonesia.

I think the Premium Language would be a decent idea, the CW cabin i would say 65% of the passengers where over 60 and had no idea what HOT meant.
I'm 37 and have no idea what HOT means. If they asked me that I'd have to ask for clarification in turn.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by ibmman69
I'm 37 and have no idea what HOT means. If they asked me that I'd have to ask for clarification in turn.
As a 24 y/o non-native speaker I've no idea either.
So anyone to clarify?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
So anyone to clarify?
Since the next landing was in BKK, I suspect it's modern slang for "High-Octane Thailand".
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Ba 9 lhr bkk

Just a general suggestion: adding the route to the flight number is a brilliant idea: it's certain to attract more interest, and makes searches far easier.

Few of us have the OP's depth of history flying BA's network to have memorised the flight numbers which populate schedules.

Making the "headline" illustrative and informative is a service to fellow FTers. It doesn't reduce the poster's credibility as a frequent flyer in any way at all.
SFO777, DeathSlam and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
With BA clearly not meeting an important number of passengers' expectations on this long flight, why are people not choosing alternative carriers?
I doubt that one needs to have a sophisticated grounding in revenue management to work out the answer to that question.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ibmman69
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
So anyone to clarify?
HOT is referring to the hot, or heated part of the meal. Service guidelines talk about hot and cold elements, which presumably gets shortened in galley speak to HOT, and the crew member forgot to switch from speaking slang to other crew to speaking HM English when speaking to PAX, I mean passengers…
shefgab and flygirl68 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
One might be tempted to think that, with Bangkok and London occupying the top two spots in the world’s most visited cities, BA would want to showcase a much better standard of product and service than the rather underwhelming experiences reported here.

But then I imagine also that it’s not a route frequented by many of their large corporates, and hence the apparent apathy.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
....routing via HKG or KUL just for a marginally better experience...
The A380 and B789 offer a significantly better experience.
Sign47 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Sign47
Surely it is known by BA that the BA09 flight is poor? It seems it's only good value if you are starting ex-AMS. It's an old plane, about the worst quality AVOD/IFE that BA has on any long haul flight. Then there is the numerous reports of mixed fleet performance.

I know it's largely a leisure destination but because improvements have not been made over in recent years there is a stigma attached to this route. Many of the more savvy travellers would fly Qatar or Cathy or even MH and change rather than take the BA direct flight. After years of flying this route both in Club and Economy I doubt I'd ever consider it again and would hunt for better value flights with Qatar or Cathy or even MH.

If I decide I need the Tier Points or Avios or the BA metal flights for renewing BAEC status I'd just fly to KUL or HKG or SIN and transfer from there up to BKK.
Cathy is a girls name. Cathay is the old name for China. Apart from that I tend to agree with you.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA
HOT is referring to the hot, or heated part of the meal. Service guidelines talk about hot and cold elements, which presumably gets shortened in galley speak to HOT, and the crew member forgot to switch from speaking slang to other crew to speaking HM English when speaking to PAX, I mean passengers…
What I struggled to understand though (as others before me) is why the choice was 'HOT or full English breakfast', given that all the elements of a full English are hot! Totally mind-numblingly confusing...!!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
What I struggled to understand though (as others before me) is why the choice was 'HOT or full English breakfast', given that all the elements of a full English are hot! Totally mind-numblingly confusing...!!
I suspect that when OP said:

wouldn't it be easier and more clear to say " Hot Breakfast or English Breakfast"

They intended to say

wouldn’t it be easier and more clear to say “ Hot Breakast”, or “English Breakfast”
flygirl68 and subject2load like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.