BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?

Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by fdem
Am booked on LHR-BKK late January on the assumption that it would be at least refurbished 777 but to my chagrin when I did a dummy booking in WT still showing 3-3-3 and the CW still in back to back grrr! am hoping this might change as time passes, one can only hope
It's too early to have realistic assumption about aircraft types 11 months out form departure. But the bottom line is a G-YMMA/R/S/T/U aren't due for Club suite/new 3-4-3 WT & IFE until mid-2021 so some routes are going to have them.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Actually returning on QR at the moment and in the Al Safwa lounge responding.

People need to understand that Qatar is often not what it is cracked up to be. yes it can be great but very often its a let down. At least with BA, you know you get a seat that is comfy and private (window) and can get some decent sleep.

I was supposed to be A320 Flat Bed (DME-DOH), A350 QSuite (DOH-HAN) B777 QSuite (BKK-Doh) and B777 old style (DOH-DME)

what I got was A320 old regional seat, limited recline to Doha A350, old style 2-2-2, to HAN with Mr step over and kick
me many times then from BKK, a 777 with flatish seats and another step over leg kicker.. thats so far... no idea what they put on for my next flight.

plus I am struggling to understand the crew half the time and this blasted insistence of waking you up 90 mins before landing on 6 hour flights drives me nuts.

we can all find reasons to slag off based on one set of flights as I have just done, but BA and QR normally give a reasonable service
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
People need to understand that Qatar is often not what it is cracked up to be. yes it can be great but very often it’s a let down. At least with BA, you know you get a seat that is comfy and private (window) and can get some decent sleep.
Ermm, unless you're flying DME-BKK as you are, in which case you might well end up in a LHR-DME BA 'business class' which is basically a low cost carrier Y seat with the middle seat blocked for about 1/4 of the journey. I am hardly the biggest QR advocate these days but your point of comparison here is somewhat unfair, IMO. If you compare the seat you'll get on QR LHR-BKK to BA9/10 (which is the core topic of this thread), the comparison is also materially less flattering to BA.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:05 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
Actually returning on QR at the moment and in the Al Safwa lounge responding.

People need to understand that Qatar is often not what it is cracked up to be. yes it can be great but very often its a let down. At least with BA, you know you get a seat that is comfy and private (window) and can get some decent sleep.

I was supposed to be A320 Flat Bed (DME-DOH), A350 QSuite (DOH-HAN) B777 QSuite (BKK-Doh) and B777 old style (DOH-DME)

what I got was A320 old regional seat, limited recline to Doha A350, old style 2-2-2, to HAN with Mr step over and kick
me many times then from BKK, a 777 with flatish seats and another step over leg kicker.. thats so far... no idea what they put on for my next flight.

plus I am struggling to understand the crew half the time and this blasted insistence of waking you up 90 mins before landing on 6 hour flights drives me nuts.

we can all find reasons to slag off based on one set of flights as I have just done, but BA and QR normally give a reasonable service
The 2-2-2 layout on your QR A350 means you were on a LATAM bird. There are a couple of them in the fleet, but it isnt an old layout.

In terms of being woken up 90mins before, if you request a meal prior to landing, that is SOP.

If you just want a drink, they'll still make it for you up to 20mins before landing.

M
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
BKK is one of the routes where I try to avoid BA. They just aren't competitive on price, service or schedule. BA9 gets in to BKK too early and the return BA10 is also badly timed. I used to love the midnight departure of BA10 when it was a 747 which allowed a full day in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand and then a long sleep on the way back.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA > BKK is going to 787-9 right ? This will make it 10x more tolerable surely ?!?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
BA > BKK is going to 787-9 right ? This will make it 10x more tolerable surely ?!?
The terrible timings for me remain the same.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:06 am

Hi Folks - Just booked on BA9 for May next year. Its looking like it will be on a 787-9. The seat map shows a 2 row First cabin but it does not seem bookable for miles or cash. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? Will they open up F?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ba bob
Hi Folks - Just booked on BA9 for May next year. Its looking like it will be on a 787-9. The seat map shows a 2 row First cabin but it does not seem bookable for miles or cash. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? Will they open up F?
A lot could change between now and May 2021, but if the aircraft remains a 787-9 and BA are not selling First, the First cabin will only be used if Club World is full, and likely only then for status members. Service would remain as Club World.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.