FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Greetings from a snow free and dry LHR ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1954094-greetings-snow-free-dry-lhr.html)

Frequentflyer99 Feb 1, 2019 1:55 am

Greetings from a snow free and dry LHR !

With all the angst caused by news reports about the weather, I set off at an ungodly hour for my 10.30 flight from LHR this morning. The HEX was running smoothly and the view out of the CX F lounge (^ :)) shows not a flake of snow to be seen at LHR.

For all those sharing my angst, be reassured. For the moment at least .......

teledude Feb 1, 2019 1:58 am

Am I at a different LHR?! :D ground was covered between the HGI and T5 :)

Barnaby100 Feb 1, 2019 2:01 am

I am on a train from snow free Yorkshire to LHR as BA cancelled my flight!

Ldnn1 Feb 1, 2019 2:11 am

I would describe the view from the rooftops in N1 as a 'smattering' of snow at the very most. I won't be building any snowmen today. :(

Frequentflyer99 Feb 1, 2019 2:13 am

Originally Posted by teledude (Post 30726526)
Am I at a different LHR?! :D ground was covered between the HGI and T5 :)

If I knew how to post a pic, I would :) . T3 was and remains snow free !

MiraculousM Feb 1, 2019 2:14 am

Is anyone at gatwick? I am taking a flight on DY tomorrow morning and i am pretty worried (yes i know that this is the BA forum).. Departures is not showing any problems there.

ThatT1Feeling Feb 1, 2019 2:21 am

Very strange. I am about 10 miles north west of LHR and there is around 3 inches of snow on the ground :)

TheFlyingCyclist Feb 1, 2019 2:32 am

It was snowing heavily between about 6am and 7am, but then stopped and seems to be melting. I had much more at home about 10 miles west.

simons1 Feb 1, 2019 2:39 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM (Post 30726553)
Is anyone at gatwick? I am taking a flight on DY tomorrow morning and i am pretty worried (yes i know that this is the BA forum).. Departures is not showing any problems there.

Operating normally.

flatlander Feb 1, 2019 2:45 am

I think these comments all illustrate how hard it is to get the cancellations and weather planning right in very changeable circumstances.

Tiger_lily Feb 1, 2019 2:53 am

And my friend near Bath has about 8-10 inches on the ground and it’s still falling.

KARFA Feb 1, 2019 3:03 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30726601)
I think these comments all illustrate how hard it is to get the cancellations and weather planning right in very changeable circumstances.

This is a good point. Looking back at the forecasts from yesterday snow was forecast this morning and the airline needed to make a decision on whether to do some pro-active cancellations for today or not and what times should be targeted. Imagine you had been the BA ops manager yesterday and had that forecast in your hand, and knowing BA cannot run a full schedule and de-ice all flights, what would you have decided to do? Load some pro-active cancellations to reduce the flights or just hoped the forecast was wrong knowing that if it was right the program this morning would quickly fall apart?

I do understand the frustration for those whose flights have been cancelled this morning now looking at the conditions now and asking was it unnecessary - I have been there myself a few times too! But under the circumstances it does seem to have been a prudent action.

UKtravelbear Feb 1, 2019 3:11 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM (Post 30726553)

Norwegian gets discussed in the 'Other European Airlines' board

KeaneJohn Feb 1, 2019 4:00 am

If you watch BBC Breakfast back on iPlayer you can see this morning their reporter was standing I am guessing by the Park Inn with the Emirates A380 roundabout in the background, At various bulletins it was anything from heavy snowing to sleet but the grass areas were totally covered though the roads were clear,

i guess BA are damned if they do and damn d if they don’t after snowmageddon a while back. At least with proactive cancellations it allows people to change flights without too much inconvenience though Manchester does seem to have had a pounding though I do notice some of today’s flights that were showing as cancelled yesterday seem 59 have been reinstated,

noddie09 Feb 1, 2019 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 (Post 30726518)
With all the angst caused by news reports about the weather, I set off at an ungodly hour for my 10.30 flight from LHR this morning. The HEX was running smoothly and the view out of the CX F lounge (^ :)) shows not a flake of snow to be seen at LHR.

For all those sharing my angst, be reassured. For the moment at least .......

Excellent news! If your flight gets cancelled I will see you at the CX F lounge @ 16:30 before my flight to Lisbon tonight