Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Winter Weather - London - 1 February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Looks like BA is doing further pro-active cancellations ahead of the potential snow forecast overnight. So far cancellations seem to be limited to the morning only and a limited number of shorthaul destinations.

As with the fog advisory yesterday, BA has kept in place the rebooking guidelines for all shorthaul services which are fairly generous, allowing rebooking up to 7 February. Where services are cancelled, the standard guidelines apply.

List of flights will undoubtedly follow. Now let's hope the snow isn't anywhere near as bad (in UK terms) as forecast.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
List of cancelled flights on 1 February 2019

BA724 Geneva
BA710 Zurich
BA304 Paris CDG
BA936 Dusseldorf
BA1370 Manchester
BA548 Rome
BA776 Stockholm
BA854 Prague
BA918 Stuttgart
BA990 Berlin
BA1324 Newcastle
BA366 Marseille
BA458 Madrid
BA804 Billund
BA372 Toulouse
BA976 Hannover
BA572 Milan MXP
BA1434 Edinburgh
BA1306 Aberdeen
BA466 Bilbao
BA342 Nice
BA893 Reykjavik
BA306 Paris CDG
BA392 Brussels
BA712 Zurich
BA950 Munich
BA554 Rome
BA576 Milan LIN
BA1346 Leeds
BA346 Nice
BA588 Milan LIN
BA1436 Edinburgh
BA740 Geneva
BA434 Amsterdam
BA604 Pisa
BA484 Barcelona
BA980 Berlin
BA574 Milan LIN
BA279 San Jose (LONGHAUL)
BA1394 Manchester
BA378 Toulouse
KARFA, pacenotes and OldFruity like this.

Last edited by JimEddie; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
On the 1386 to MAN tomorrow morning.... fingers crossed....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: 𓂀
Will it be cold enough for the snow to accumulate though?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:19 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Nothing showing as cancelled from LGW on Friday 1st then? Or do they not pro-actively cancel services from this airport?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by airhab
Will it be cold enough for the snow to accumulate though?
Well it’s now zero and dry 10 miles from LHR so if it snows it’ll settle !
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
My friend is on a cancelled AMS-LHR flight tomorrow. He was rebooked onto a (much later) LHR flight, but via the silver line has swapped to AMS-LCY at roughly the same time as originally booked.

He has been promised reimbursement for a taxi from LCY to LHR (where he needs to be). He has the name of the phone agent, and apparently a note has been added to the booking confirming the agreement. Would you trust that he will receive the taxi reimbursement, given he himself requested the change to a London City flight? I'm not confident - I'm sure I’ve seen similar reports of taxi promises subsequently denied - so advice would be gratefully received
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Doesn't look too shabby to me. It was freezing though when I walked outside!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BOH
Nothing showing as cancelled from LGW on Friday 1st then? Or do they not pro-actively cancel services from this airport?
LGW is the most resilient of BA's hubs. Subjectively (I haven't checked the facts) the BA services there are more likely to be delayed than LHR or LCY but are much less likely to be cancelled. When BA's IT had a meltdown they were back up and running a full day before LHR.
BOH, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Got in before the mass swap it seems. Was on BA712 to ZRH and do actually need to be there by lunch so have rebooked onto BA8763 from City.

Two hours earlier (urgh) but only available flight that gets me there in good time. Job interview so kind of important I show up.

Looking forward to the lounge at City for some breakfast and coffee ...wait a second...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
LGW is the most resilient of BA's hubs. Subjectively (I haven't checked the facts) the BA services there are more likely to be delayed than LHR or LCY but are much less likely to be cancelled. When BA's IT had a meltdown they were back up and running a full day before LHR.
seems to be the case (flown from there this morning) but as currently at GLA for the 21:15 to LGW which is due to arrive in the snow, I,m hoping CWS is right!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Why do BA cancel swathes of flights from LHR at the hint of a bit of a cold snap? Its absolutely pathetic.

Furthermore, why don't LHR invest in some proper winter equipment? My LOT 06:30 departure was waiting 20 minutes on Wednesday morning to be de-iced. It is truly dismal. There were 3 departures at T2 before this flight and similar in T5. What is the excuse?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Why do BA cancel swathes of flights from LHR at the hint of a bit of a cold snap? Its absolutely pathetic.

Furthermore, why don't LHR invest in some proper winter equipment? My LOT 06:30 departure was waiting 20 minutes on Wednesday morning to be de-iced. It is truly dismal. There were 3 departures at T2 before this flight and similar in T5. What is the excuse?
20 minutes is a plausible wait time in Helsinki, so that doesn't seem too bad to me. But the pro-active cancellation is explained in the "Why are there delays in Fog" thread in the Dashboard - if LHR is running at 98% capacity, then when things have to slow down for weather reasons then the best thing to do is to proactively cancel to avoid endless delays for everyone.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cameramaker

Maybe they need some of these Russian things....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...winter-weather
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
We’re on the 790 to GOT in the morning. Currently at a Heathrow hotel. Flaking snow now but I think the worst is due overnight. Fingers crossed they don’t cancel ours (or merge it with the afternoon service) as we’re only there for 2 nights. Still, it’s a BA holiday so we won’t lose the cost of the hotel separately if things go very wrong.
TedToToe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.