Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not using outbound flight even if checked in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I think I know the answer to this, but since this has been in the news recently wanted clarification!

My partner is booked on a BA flight tomorrow LHR - BCN, returning on Sunday. She decided to come out to BCN early so I booked her a reward tickets on Avios travelling this afternoon as the change fee was quite expensive. As such, she wouldn't use the outbound tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that means the return would be automatically cancelled, but can this be clarified?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 am

Correct, the return portion (or any subsequent sector) will be cancelled.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC
You've answered your own question
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babats
You've answered your own question
Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:36 am

A BA agent certainly can, with trivial keystrokes, restore the return segment after it is auto-cancelled.
The issue is how to convince the agent to do so.

After it auto-cancels, send BA a DM via Twitter vaguely saying you can’t see your flight home in Manage My Booking, ask if it is related to changing my outbound, attach your flown boarding pass to the tweet, and close with “just want to make sure i’m ready to fly on Sunday.”
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
A BA agent certainly can, with trivial keystrokes, restore the return segment after it is auto-cancelled.

After it auto-cancels, send BA a DM via Twitter vaguely saying you can’t see your flight home in Manage My Booking, ask if it is related to changing my outbound, attach your flown boarding pass to the tweet, and close with “just want to make sure i’m ready to fly on Sunday.”
Would that be the boarding pass from the award ticket? I get the sense that it's a bit of a risk!?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:58 am

yes. just keep it vague on the outbound change.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by woobl
I get the sense that it's a bit of a risk!?
Indeed. Not to mention, dishonest also.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Sadly, you are correct in that your return segment will be cancelled, unless there were specific circumstances, of which not wanting to pay the change fee is not one of them. I wouldn't advocate fraudulently trying to get the return leg. This not only risks the flight (and is unlikely to be successful) but could also result in your BAEC account being terminated.

I'm assuming that the return flights tomorrow returning Sunday were also expensive, in which case, perhaps a return on Avios is required, or using a different carrier where there is the same price whether the flight is one-way or a return.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
Indeed. Not to mention, dishonest also.
Yes, and sneaky as hell
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Colin

I have always wondered why it is that people cannot just accept the terms and conditions of the ticket they bought (and accepted when doing the transaction).
If a company like BA or any other did the same to you, you would no doubt be raging on about it on forums like this and complaining to BA like there was no tomorrow...
CCayley, flygirl68, Anonba and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

the key strokes needed might only be trivial but the agent needs a good reason to over ride the auto cancel and that reason also needs to be good enough to convince a supervisor or manager as well.

The agent will also see that the passenger travelled on a different day to the same destination on an avios ticket.

Also the original outbound flight was never changed so how can the OP claim any sort of confusion? Especially given the purchase of the avios ticket?

This is as others have said risky and dishonest and promoting dishonesty is against flyer talk rules.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jan 31, 2019 at 2:52 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
the key strokes needed might only be trivial but the agent needs a good reason to over ride the auto cancel and that reason also needs to be good enough to convince a supervisor or manager as well.
Indeed. I have been in the position of having the rest of a ticket cancelled because of an erroneous no-show on the first leg - I had flown the DUB-LHR but for some reason the information which came across from DUB said I had not. It was not trivial to get the ticket re-instated. Bearing in mind I have access to the excellent GGL team it took them over an hour to resolve and involved them checking the manifest to ensure I did actually fly. The idea some low level twitter agent is simply going to re-instate the ticket within a few seconds based on a bp without checking you actually flew is frankly deluded. Regardless of the moral and legal issues I would strongly advise the OP to ignore that advice as a waste of time.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:56 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
what happens when the twitter agent asks for the booking reference?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:26 am

good luck with the reversal of the auto cancellation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.