Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is check in open at Sydney airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

When is check in open at Sydney airport?

Hiya

Travelling on BA16 from SYD to LHR in a few days time departing at 16.30.

Question is what time should we turn up at airport to check in? Are the BA check in gates open all day or only 3 hours before the flight?

Travelling in Club World and have a Priority Pass and AmEx so any advice on lounges or food at Sydney airport. Wasn't terribly impressed with Amex lounge there last time I visited as it was absolutely bunged (although the pancake machine was good!)

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
check MMB but generally 3 hours before the flight is a good guide.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:50 pm

There's a Spanish tapas restaurant called Movida that accept Priority Pass. I think I was more satisfied with the food than anything I would've gotten in a lounge...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Check-in will be open 3 hours before. For the lounge as you are in CW you will have access to the QANTAS business lounge
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by colinscanner
There's a Spanish tapas restaurant called Movida that accept Priority Pass. I think I was more satisfied with the food than anything I would've gotten in a lounge...
This is in the Sydney domestic terminal which is not where BA check in is.

There are a few restaurants listed for priority pass, some airside, some landside. They are decent enough, and the QF lounge in J is quite good.

If you want to visit multiple priority pass restaurants, they want to stamp your boarding pass and stop you from visiting multiple restaurants. But there is nothing stopping you from printing a few of your self check in boarding passes...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Having sat around Sydney waiting for check in to open a few times (separate tickets flying in in the morning from other cities and being quite risk averse), my experience is the check in desks open at 12:30 to 13:00. Which is earlier than they have to. So if you have anywhere better to be, then don't go to the airport too early.

The Qantas lounge has better food, imo, than the other oneworld lounges. And they have a nice bar and barista coffee. But I don't think you get access with a BA Club World ticket, I think they will point you to BA. BA lounge is fine and wines are ok.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by konagirl2
The Qantas lounge has better food, imo, than the other oneworld lounges. And they have a nice bar and barista coffee. But I don't think you get access with a BA Club World ticket, I think they will point you to BA. BA lounge is fine and wines are ok.
Where is the BA lounge in SYD? And for that matter...where are the other oneworld lounges in SYD?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Where is the BA lounge in SYD? And for that matter...where are the other oneworld lounges in SYD?
At SYD T1 the QF lounges are that is available for OW travellers
Access by class of travel or OW Sapphire/Emerald

OW web site --->https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/SYD/-1

Airport web site T1 --->https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ine-lounges-t1

Edit
As 01 Feb Australian time the oneworld.com web site has been revised so now next to useless

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:08 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold

As others have said there is no BA lounge. Flying in CW you will be in the Qantas Business Lounge (which isn't bad) unless you have OWE status which will get you access to the superb F lounge.

Strictly speaking check in opens three hours before departure but it's usually more like 3.5. There are no early check in facilities.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
I thought the Qantas lounge was very poor, so I wouldn't go too early
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My bad! QF Business Lounge it is.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anniegray
I thought the Qantas lounge was very poor, so I wouldn't go too early
Why do you say this? I agree that I wouldn't spend many hours there, but I wouldn't actively avoid it?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
There is also an Amex lounge if you have a platinum Amex. In my experience checkin is usually 3.5 hours and rarely a queue in the F or J lines.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:49 am
THR

Qantas lounge is better than AMEX lounge, etc, but it's still a pretty average business lounge. Still, it does the job.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:26 am

QF J Lounge is ok but can be exceptionally busy, the lounge dragons are not dragons, they are quite lovely and enjoy bending the rules for families and those without status.

Food is not bad for a J lounge and wine can be good.

Through security, through duty free, head upstairs to first floor, walk past the excellent QF first lounge and in you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.