Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Wine - Staff 'Cheat' Sheet (Tier 2, Jan 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Wine - Staff 'Cheat' Sheet (Tier 2, Jan 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
interesting thread ... thanks, mikeijay.

Having read the comments, I must go and hide/drink the Villa Maria in the cellar before anyone notices. I usually pay ~£6,50 here, BTW, when it's on offer!

Edit = Just back from our local Co-Op, where VM is currently £8.99. Also has a sticker saying something like "UK's No. 1 Sauvignon Blanc"!

Last edited by T8191; Jan 31, 2019 at 4:43 am Reason: Current pricing
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
A very interesting find. Well done! Alas the quality of wines offered is definitely much lower than in the past for First Class. I echo other's comments about Villa Maria. I think the inclusion of a Kiwi Sauv Blanc makes sense, but there are plenty of far more premium options available.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
A very interesting find. Well done! Alas the quality of wines offered is definitely much lower than in the past for First Class. I echo other's comments about Villa Maria. I think the inclusion of a Kiwi Sauv Blanc makes sense, but there are plenty of far more premium options available.
I haven’t tried the wines, but it really doesn’t look like an F list at all. I would expect a bit of pizzaz whereas on reading, that just falls flat.

Agree re NZ Sauv Blanc. On lists that are often Old World biased, a quality, distinct NZ SB is a good way to inject some variety.

Quality is more important than price, however I wouldn’t expect to see anything retailing for less than £20 on an F list.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:51 am

I really never understand the correlation between price and quality of wines. Not being a huge wine drinker myself, and certainly not the type who will wax lyrical about how much I know about the stuff to make me look like I know what I am talking about (), I know what I like to drink and I know what I don't like. I'm not that fussed if it costs £10 or £100 per bottle. I've tasted several expensive wines that would be of better use cleaning drains, and many cheaper wines that are perfectly drinkable.

There does seem to be an odd fascination that price = quality, when in the real world, it really doesn't.

To add further, in my industry there is the same perception that price = quality much in the same way as wine. And quite frankly, there is no way on earth than one of my more expensive products means it is automatically better, I just thank the sucker for the (significantly) extra margin because they (self) believe it is better, based on price alone no matter how much I try to explain the logic.
HIDDY and The Muffin Man like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Terroir. It can be a £5 bottle but if the terroir is fabulous it’ll make a fabulous wine.

Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Villa Maria is £5.00 in the Calais wine warehouse. So I suspect that BA get it for £4.00.

Oh for the days of very good wine in F !! Puligny Montrachet for instance.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I'm doing this for the free stuff!!

Tier 1 - BA Club World wines
Tier 2 - BA First Class Wines
Tier 3 - BA Club Europe Wines
Tier 4 - BA World Traveler Plus wines
Tier 5 - BA Lounges
‘Winner Winner Overcooked Lamb in-flight Dinner’ !

Your awsome!! DM me your size and details and i’ll get you a fresh sleeper suit, full kit and the famous Pen! (don’t worry it won’t be the one between my legs in the photo) haha
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Has anyone got a picture of the Villa Maria served by BA in F?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:53 am

I didn’t get a picture but from a bottle I glanced at in the galley the other day I’m pretty sure it’s the Cellar Selection label which is slightly higher end than the basic Villa Maria.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by spanishflea
I didn’t get a picture but from a bottle I glanced at in the galley the other day I’m pretty sure it’s the Cellar Selection label which is slightly higher end than the basic Villa Maria.
Was it the gold coloured label as opposed to the white one?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Terroir. It can be a £5 bottle but if the terroir is fabulous it’ll make a fabulous wine.

On a £5 bottle of wine there is about 37p available for the wine in the bottle. Your chance of a fabulous wine at the price is close to zero. A £20 bottle will allow just over £7 for the wine in the bottle. (2017 tax rates and costs)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:28 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Beaujolais with lamb? I would disagree, even if it is old vines.
Permit this old BAag to disagree - actually a Brouilly at cellar temperature and I am yours forever.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer

Oh for the days of very good wine in F !! Puligny Montrachet for instance.
Indeed. I don’t consider myself any kind of wine expert, but I did get a nice surprise last summer when I discovered a lonely bottle of Chanson P-M 1er Cru Champs Gains 2011 in the LGW Flounge. Most others were going for the champagne, so I had a couple of very pleasant glasses of this.

I’m struggling to see any justification for Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc in F. Will look out for it on upcoming flights.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:05 pm

Thanks AUHDXB I think I'll stick with the LPGS if it still being served.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Was it the gold coloured label as opposed to the white one?
Yes it was the gold coloured label.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.