Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Wine - Staff 'Cheat' Sheet (Tier 2, Jan 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Wine - Staff 'Cheat' Sheet (Tier 2, Jan 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
One the wines I recently hearing about in FIRST is from Oregon - from the A-Z vineyard - see here Was it the Pinot Gris or Noir?
I thought both are rather reasonable although this was not in FIRST, but bought from Costco and the local supermarket!

Last edited by Skyline; Jan 30, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Beaujolais with lamb? I would disagree, even if it is old vines.
A Beaujolais Cru, in this case a Morgon, is a great match with lamb, particularly if it’s had a bit of ageing. Beaujolais or Beaujolais Village less so. I won’t even mentioned Nouveau.

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Ł5 a bottle or 2 for Ł9 at Morrisons.
I’m not defending its presence on an F wine list but Villa Maria is more like Ł10 a bottle. Google indicates that Ł5 gets you a half bottle from ASDA 😉
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:54 pm

ikeijay:

British fizz better than Laurent-Pierrier? Really? I have a BA F flight in early June lhr/iad. I will give the british fizz a try.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Beaujolais with lamb? I would disagree, even if it is old vines.
People should drink what they like with what they want. Rules be damned.

I was surprised to see the Lanson as an F champagne. IIRC it was in J on QR for a long time (and wasn't my favorite there, either).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikeijay

Haha I did actually they said that they do have days when they taste the wine to make recommendations.

They are also allowed to buy WT+ bottles of wine at Ł1 each!! However not CW or First sadly.

I often sit in 1K and have to watch in horror as they pour it down the sink at the end of the flight. Once I winced loudly and the next thing I know one of the CC gave me 3 bottles of open red wine (with plastic stoppers) that only had a glass taken from them and also a full bottle of my favourite red of the day in duty free bag! They can get into a lot of trouble of that if the CSD sees though (shhhh) hehe

I was clanking and stumbling through customs at LHR with the biggest smile on my face!!
surely any savvy staffer knows to buy the WT+ bottles then pour this away and refill with the F/J wines??
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84

A Beaujolais Cru, in this case a Morgon, is a great match with lamb, particularly if it’s had a bit of ageing. Beaujolais or Beaujolais Village less so. I won’t even mentioned Nouveau.
Could not agree more sir, a great match.
Not to suggest this is/was OP’s experience but I always found it a shame most people try a Nouveau or a Beaujolais-Villages or even one of the lighter Cru Villages like Fleurie and think this is representative of if the region as a whole.

TMM
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmj9905
ikeijay:

British fizz better than Laurent-Pierrier? Really? I have a BA F flight in early June lhr/iad. I will give the british fizz a try.
I found it undrinkable. Almost like vinegar with fizz. Stick to LPGS for heaven's sake.
benjai likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
I found it undrinkable. Almost like vinegar with fizz. Stick to LPGS for heaven's sake.
I knew that was coming! hehe True I’ve had one which putting on same menu as LPGS was blasphemy! However in the famous words of Yoda “There is another!” ....

Have you tried their Camel Valley Cornwall Brut (I think 2014)? In the skies it travels remarkably well!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:58 pm
Suspended

I prefered the Bolney Blanc de Blancs which they had in 2017-18. It had a lovely colour, quite effervescent, but it settled down fine after a few glasses and made a delightful aperitif before lunch/dinner.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by AUHDXB
It does depend which British Fizz it is. Our last F we were fortunate enough to have Camel Valley both ways - far nicer IMHO than LPGS but I am biased as the vineyard is a stone's throw from us....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

I should have asked! Doh! I sat there thinking “hey - I’m Tier #1 material baby!”

I’ll send an brand new unused BA sleeper suit and a nice warm pen to the first person with the right answer!
I'm doing this for the free stuff!!

Tier 1 - BA Club World wines
Tier 2 - BA First Class Wines
Tier 3 - BA Club Europe Wines
Tier 4 - BA World Traveler Plus wines
Tier 5 - BA Lounges
mikeijay likes this.

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; Jan 31, 2019 at 12:28 am Reason: missed europe
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I'm doing this for the free stuff!!

Tier 1 - BA Club World wines
Tier 2 - BA First Class Wines
Tier 3 - BA Club Europe Wines
Tier 4 - BA World Traveler Plus wines
Tier 5 - BA Lounges
Interesting! Thank you. Why is Tier 1 Club World and not First Class - semantics I know
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:49 am

I had stolen cutlery and thought I was rumbled!
Sorry, what? Do you do the same when you go to a restaurant for a meal?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

surely any savvy staffer knows to buy the WT+ bottles then pour this away and refill with the F/J wines??
A crew member might as well take the wines from F/J then do that, miniatures and quarter bottles must be remain sealed.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
No Obi Wines or Qui Gon Gins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.