Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing an I fare ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Changing an I fare ticket

Hello everyone wondering who can help me here.
Flying in Feb from Lon-Nyc on an I fare, and being there for a week. however I need to change my ticket and come back earlier, how exactly do I go about it to change it hassle free? Or at least with the minimum hassle and at minimum cost
(I don't mind paying a little and not buying a new 1 with points, since I wanna get the TP'S as I need them)
if there is no easy way to do it what's the best way to come back on a 1 way ticket from nyc-lon?
TIA

Last edited by Palty; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:37 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:40 am

Typically, ex-UK I fares (if it is an ex-UK fare) do not permit changes or cancellations, even for a change fee. There are some small variations depending if you have a specific fare category.

For example, if you purchased your ex-UK I fare through, for example, a corporate TA then they may have more flexible terms as part of your corporate deal with BA so you may be permitted to make a change (a cancellation is unlikely).

This is one of the draw backs of I fares departing the UK, whereas I fare from other EU points give much more flexibility (for the relevant change fees, of course).

Best way is to either call BA or whichever TA you used to book the fare originally. If the fare has already been part flown, I would call BA and ignore the TA.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:43 am
Original Poster

This is not an ex UK I'm flying direct lhr-jfk both ways (forgot to mention)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Palty
This is not an ex UK I'm flying direct lhr-jfk both ways (forgot to mention)
sorry, what do you mean? Do you have one return booking which is for LHR-JFK-LHR? That’s an exUK booking surely?
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

sorry, what do you mean? Do you have one return booking which is for LHR-JFK-LHR? That’s an exUK booking surely?
yes direct return
(is that called exUK?)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
All down to the fare rules, your only option will be to call BA or your travel agent (depending on how you booked the ticket) and pay the change fee. If it is an I fare starting in London, then there is a good chance that will mean buying a new ticket. The flexibility of I fares differs a lot between markets, so a ticket starting somewhere in continental Europe (ex-EU ) can usually be changed for a few hundred Euros. All of this is rule of thumb - it will depend on the specific fare rules of your ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
yes direct return
(is that called exUK?)
yes ex U.K. just means from the U.K. (ex France from France etc). There is no obvious answer to your question, you need to look at the fare rules or contact ba if you booked direct from them. As rossmac rightly mentions, I fared originating in the U.K. are often more restrictive than from other origins especially if they were sale fares. If yours is changeable you’re probably best off changing as soon as possible as there is a sale ending with decent fares and your fare would be recalculated. Only disclaimer is that if you only need to change by a day or so and are a risk taker and your flight is in a long time, you could wait and hope ba significantly changes your schedule or cancels the flight as they would then allow you a rebooking +/- 1 days but to be honest on the jfk routes changes and random cancellations are rare except for ba1-2 from/to lcy.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Have you tried changing in online?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
Have you tried changing in online?
no I didn't,
I bought this ticket through an OTA do you think I can do it online though?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
As rossmcd says above, doing any sort of dummy booking on an ex-UK I fare and checking the fare rules, it clearly says no change/no upgrades/no cancellations.

An ex-EU ticket would normally incur a €300 change fee
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Additionally, the OTA may also inject their own terms and conditions, separate and apart from BA, on any ticket change.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
no I didn't,
I bought this ticket through an OTA do you think I can do it online though?
if you booked through ota, you need to contact ota for the change as ba won’t touch the ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Just contacted the OTA their saying it can't be changed..... annoying
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While that is likely the case for any xUK I fare, it still pays to carefully read the fare rules for your specific fare. Given what may be at stake, sure it is worth 10 minutes of your time to assure that the information from a front line phone person is indeed correct?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
While that is likely the case for any xUK I fare, it still pays to carefully read the fare rules for your specific fare. Given what may be at stake, sure it is worth 10 minutes of your time to assure that the information from a front line phone person is indeed correct?
thanks for that!
but how does 1 go about reading the fare rules when purchased via OTA? should I use matrix?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.