Search

upgrade on BA as One world emerald

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Even when travelling unaccompanied?
self marriage, get with the program https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42415394
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
I always tell the check in staff I am going on my honeymoon. Never failed so far
Ah so this is how the CCR staff recognise you and give you your back mug - they look out for the bloke in a grubby wedding dress!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

self marriage, get with the program https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42415394
Pfft. That's old hat KARFA. Marrying your duvet is the new tend

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/82...emony-wedding/

Back on topic, I agree with the advice given by Prospero and Swanhunter advice here.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Basically, back to the OP's original question, being OW Emerald doesn't in itself open up more likelihoods of a cheap upgrade if the plane isn't full.

If the plane is full, then it might improve the chances of an involuntary (free) upgrade which would usually happen in the last few hours before the flight leaves.

So the options if the WT+ cabin isn't full are: to pay to change your existing class at the current going rate, check for AUPs on the App on on the website (cheap upgrades) or use Avios or AA miles (if possible). These are the same options that would be available to all passengers in WT+ unless they have a super-discounted group fare.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I always tell the check in staff I am going on my honeymoon. Never failed so far
how does that work out with your are traveling solo?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
how does that work out with your are traveling solo?
see post 16
mrow and fotographer like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:02 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I advised the OP not to print their boarding pass as it allows them to change seat selection if better ones open up. The emphasis was on checking in as soon as possible.

Also my suggestion of BAEC sign up was based on an assumption that a BA Blue with no pegged history of buying up into CW might well have more op up priority than a OWE. I thought the priority for the OP was how to score an upgrade, rather than where the miles went.

Actually 'friends and family' upgrades on BA are rife. Giving out specifics would get staff into trouble, but I can assure you that knowing the right people counts for far more on board than a high CIV / status
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:25 pm

And probably best to set expectation now that AA and BA handle upgrades in a completely different way if you're not used to flying BA. Open seats in Club/Business at time of boarding (unless there's an overbooking situation further back in the plane) is normal on BA and the seats will remain empty unless you pay to upgrade. Status carries no clout for being moved forward as is the case on AA where premium cabins usually fly full. BA generally protect the cabin for those who have paid for the privilege and are happy for seats to go empty no matter how high the status of passengers in a lower class. OW status AA status and even BA status does not equal upgrade at BA. You'll fly a lot happier by not expecting it to happen unless you're happy to stump up additional cash for it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
And probably best to set expectation now that AA and BA handle upgrades in a completely different way if you're not used to flying BA. Open seats in Club/Business at time of boarding (unless there's an overbooking situation further back in the plane) is normal on BA and the seats will remain empty unless you pay to upgrade. Status carries no clout for being moved forward as is the case on AA where premium cabins usually fly full. BA generally protect the cabin for those who have paid for the privilege and are happy for seats to go empty no matter how high the status of passengers in a lower class. OW status AA status and even BA status does not equal upgrade at BA. You'll fly a lot happier by not expecting it to happen unless you're happy to stump up additional cash for it.
Domestically this is true where complimentary domestic upgrades are provided on AA based on status, but internationally AA don’t upgrade based on status...however Executive Platinum members get 4 systemwide upgrades and can use these on a space available basis.
1Aturnleft likes this.

Last edited by mrow; Jan 30, 2019 at 5:50 pm Reason: typo fixed
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrow
Executive Platinum members get 4 systemwide upgrades and can use these on a space available basis.
Which are not going to be particularly helpful to the OP on a BA flight.

My point was more one of creating awareness that there are significant differences in the way things are handled despite the transatlantic joint venture and the two airlines approach cabin upgrades from completely different directions. If they're used to the AA way of doing things as a EP, they may prefer to be aware rather than risk doing a DYKIAEP spiel (Do You Know I Am Exec Plat) to either the gate staff or to the crew on board... as it won't make any difference. Although to an observer watching on however, it does provide a few moments of entertainment.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jan 30, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
Which are not going to be particularly helpful to the OP on a BA flight.

My point was more one of creating awareness that there are significant differences in the way things are handled despite the transatlantic joint venture and the two airlines approach cabin upgrades from completely different directions. If they're used to the AA way of doing things as a EP, they may prefer to be aware rather than risk doing a DYKIAEP spiel (Do You Know I Am Exec Plat) to either the gate staff or to the crew on board... as it won't make any difference. Although to an observer watching on however, it does provide a few moments of entertainment.
Agreed that the Systemwide Upgrades aren’t useful on BA. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear, the T+Cs say that they can be used on AA metal only hence I didn’t explicitly say that - most (if not all) Executive Platinum members who have used a Systemwide Upgrade will have done so by calling AA in advance at some point so I assumed that the limitation on AA metal only for Systemwide Upgrades would already be well known to the OP. Wasn’t meaning to cause confusion for others who are less familiar, so apologies if I did.

My point is that for intercontinental travel, both BA and AA have broadly same approach to upgrades. Contrary to your assertion, elites on AA aren’t simply upgraded from Economy to Business if there are seats available when travelling intercontinentally on AA. Likewise, being nice to crew/gate agents when travelling intercontinentally on AA will likely result in a similar level of upgrade success as it will on BA (I.e. not much). So in that sense BA and AA treat intercontinental upgrades in broadly the same way.

Domestically on AA it is indeed a different story vs BA as you have pointed out, but travelling between LHR and MSY is obviously not a domestic journey.

What I would say is that BAs paid airport upgrade programme is far more standardised than AAs, so in that sense asking for a paid (cash) airport upgrade on BA is actually far more likely to yield a positive result of moving forward a cabin if space is available. On AA the concept is different and OP would likely be quoted a re-fare (which likely would be more expensive than a BA airport upgrade) or would be asked to use an upgrade instrument (Systemwide upgrade or miles and copay) if the relevant fare buckets were available (not guaranteed close to departure).

Last edited by mrow; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:44 pm Reason: Fixed typo, clarified meaning
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
From the reverse point of view -

I've been travelling all over the US for the past few years on AA as a BAEC Gold/OWE. How many upgrades have I had on AA? - Zero. . However, I do get free exit seat selection and lounge access (including flagship) on domestic Y sectors.
mrow, Beano HK, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I certainly think that if you're going to be doing a lot of flying within the US then BAEC Gold status gives a lot of perks on AA. The MCE seat selection now includes complimentary alcoholic beverages (if that's your thing) plus Gold status will get you a complimentary snack as well. Lounge access is a definite boon, along with priority boarding (Group 2 as OWE) etc. I have had a small number of upgrades on AA as a BAEC Gold but they have been very few and far between. Another benefit is same-day standby where you can move to an earlier flight and, based on OWE / Gold status, you will usually jump to the top of the list making it a lot more likely you will be confirmed on that flight.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:31 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by capin
From the reverse point of view -

I've been travelling all over the US for the past few years on AA as a BAEC Gold/OWE. How many upgrades have I had on AA? - Zero. . However, I do get free exit seat selection and lounge access (including flagship) on domestic Y sectors.
Similarly, I travelled on CX for 6 years as a OWE and I got exactly the same amount of upgrades as you!
capin and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Travelling through the US on BAEC is excellent. Never expect an upgrade, but love getting access to the flagship lounges in LAX, MIA etc. and to admirals in the smaller hubs like Charlotte, even when flying in Y. Flying in the US, I'm not worried about upgrades. Rarely do a flight of more than 3 hours, so not going to cry about not getting a little extra leg room and a bit of food. Get the MCE seats for free (alcohol included) and get priority baggage and 2 bags for free on Sapphire level (for all on the booking).
capin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.