Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The last flight out from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The last flight out from NYC

Just trying to decide the best flight out of NYC in the evening if not working the next day (Travelling F)

If I take the last one at 11pm presumably there is time for a nice dinner in CCR ; sleep
and breakast in arrivals T5 and landing off peak in the middle of the day UK time

Does CCR dining continue to 11pm?

Does T7 get quieter with the later flights?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes, definitely gets much quieter the later you are there. If your body is on Eastern Time, then the last flight of the night to London is indeed the best in terms of getting some sleep at your normal bedtime and then waking up and being refreshed. Did this every week during 2017.

A similar late night flight is also available from EWR if that is an acceptable option for you. It used to be on a 787 -- not sure if still the case -- which was nice as I slept better in the increased humidity.

Of course the most restful option if you have time is to sleep in New York that evening and take the daytime flight the next morning
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
If I have to take an evening flight I will always opt for the later one (BA182?) my personal preference is for the daytime flight but understandably not everyone has the time to do that.
T7 at JFK is a bit quieter by then - although my recent experience with only the F lounge available (travelling in J at 08:05) wasn’t a restful one, I would hate to be there during the evening ‘rush’.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
it depends what time zone your body is on: if starting from US time, then a later flight makes sense and the 11pm departure would indeed give you a leisurely CCR dinner at a sociable time

personally even then I'd go for something an hour or two earlier, allowing for a nice CCR dinner but perhaps pudding and a nightcap on board (with the 11pm departure, you'll want to do all of that on the ground)

if you're on a short trip from Europe, then take an earlier flight - I want to eat then by 6pm and be bedding down by 9: for trips less than 4-5 days to the US that's as late as I will ever stay up

if you have CCR access in First, it's never going to be overwhelmingly busy in there, I don't think (unlike the main Gold/Club lounges which are definitely busy in the 5-8 pm window)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The OW lounge database indicates that the JFK CCR closes at 11pm. Not sure if the kitchen is open that late though (would not the boarding start at something like 10:30pm?). stu1985 took this flight last January (there is a trip report, a link to which, I hope, he does not mind me posting here). https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29420955-post48.html
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The other benefit of the later flights of course is lighter traffic out of Manhattan, if the OP is travelling from there. Dinner in town might also be preferable to the lounge.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yes, definitely gets much quieter the later you are there. If your body is on Eastern Time, then the last flight of the night to London is indeed the best in terms of getting some sleep at your normal bedtime and then waking up and being refreshed. Did this every week during 2017.

A similar late night flight is also available from EWR if that is an acceptable option for you. It used to be on a 787 -- not sure if still the case -- which was nice as I slept better in the increased humidity.

Of course the most restful option if you have time is to sleep in New York that evening and take the daytime flight the next morning
Thanks for allthe replies

Whats the first dining setup like at EWR?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely dinner in town and then jump into a cab/Uber arriving an hour before the last flight departs? Would be a lot more fun and interesting than the admittedly acceptable JFK CCR. The early flights are horrid for jetlag if your body clock is anywhere near US time - even after a couple of days there trying to sleep at 8pm Eastern is impossible for me.
rossmacd and Globaliser like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
If you have the following day off, I too would take the day time flight.

Is the JFK CCR open at the moment? Was closed when I was there a couple of weeks ago, and they had set up a separate dining room (not a very inviting one TBH) at the back of the First lounge.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:18 am

Swanhunter makes an excellent point - the opportunity to eat in the city prior to arriving at JFK about an hour before departure is significantly better than dining on BA's finest provisions.

That being said, the last flights (approx 22:00 and 23:00, schedule dependent) arrive just a bit too late in LHR for a full work day (considering commuting time/traffic to wherever I may be going), so I do prefer the slightly early flights (20:30/21:15) options. Admittedly, sleeping at an earlier hour is more difficult depending on your body clock, but a 50mg Nytol taken when walking down the jet bridge sorts that out for me.

Having done too many JFK-LHR flights last year with likely more this year, the shortness of JFK-LHR flights particularly with tail winds can be tiresome, as can the heavy departing traffic at the peak 18:30-21:00 at JFK which becomes a drag.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
Is the JFK CCR open at the moment? Was closed when I was there a couple of weeks ago, and they had set up a separate dining room (not a very inviting one TBH) at the back of the First lounge.
Were you on a morning departure? I was under the impression that it is closed for the morning departures atm, but open as normal for evenings.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

The day flight always sounds a bit tedious
Have to get up early
Arrives relatively late in London, 7pm
Poor catering reports.....
Is it good for jet lag?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
The day flight always sounds a bit tedious
Have to get up early
Arrives relatively late in London, 7pm
Poor catering reports.....
Is it good for jet lag?
Personally, as a business traveler, it is a complete waste of a day. That is more important to me than any catering or jet lag concerns. Others say differently but flying overnight versus a day flight, an overnight will almost always win out.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Is it good for jet lag?
Jet lag is a very individual experience and different people need different approaches. But for me the 3 sets of day flights (BOS and AA's ORD services being the other) avoid feeling groggy with no special advance measures needed, straight to bed on arrival in the UK and the slate is cleared with that. Overnight services I need to do things like wake up early in the USA and eat at particular times to head off difficulties. It's important not go into REM sleep during the day flight, a light nap should be OK. I think I've read a lot of reports from other travellers here that the day JFK service helps them too. As a business traveller the advent of wifi (and usually a backlog of emails with or without wifi) means that a day time flight is useful time.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:02 am

I love TATL day flights. I rarely have trouble with jet lag but I do feel sleep deprivation. On a short east coast sector it can be hard to get even a few hours sleep and I can feel crappy for a day or two. On the day flights I can work, read, relax as the mood takes me and get home at a reasonable hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.