Wiki Posts
Search

The last flight out from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Jet lag is a very individual experience and different people need different approaches. But for me the 3 sets of day flights (BOS and AA's ORD services being the other) avoid feeling groggy with no special advance measures needed, straight to bed on arrival in the UK and the slate is cleared with that. Overnight services I need to do things like wake up early in the USA and eat at particular times to head off difficulties. It's important not go into REM sleep during the day flight, a light nap should be OK. I think I've read a lot of reports from other travellers here that the day JFK service helps them too. As a business traveller the advent of wifi (and usually a backlog of emails with or without wifi) means that a day time flight is useful time.
You forgot the new IAD day flight
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
with the introduction of on-board Wi-Fi, the day flight is quite appealing: the night flights from JFK/BOS are so short you really only get (at best) 5 hours of sleep, on top of jet lag - the day flight you can get some work done, have a nap for an hour or two and arrive in the UK ready for bedtime; if it's been a short trip to the US, the early morning departure from JFK is no problem since I'll have been awake from about 5am anyway

the advent of on-board Wi-Fi makes the day flight less of a 'wasted' day and avoids the problem of landing back in London on a Friday night with a day's worth of unread emails!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
not to mention being home late Friday night and ready for the weekend to start early Saturday morning, as opposed to home at 10am on Saturday on little sleep and just wanting to nap all day
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
the advent of on-board Wi-Fi makes the day flight less of a 'wasted' day and avoids the problem of landing back in London on a Friday night with a day's worth of unread emails!
That is very true, and correct for those who classify their work as being connected/online and contactable by email/Whatsapp/systems. For those of us with their main responsibility not requiring a laptop, then performing your responsibilities from within a metal tube at 38,000 feet rather challenging
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Were you on a morning departure? I was under the impression that it is closed for the morning departures atm, but open as normal for evenings.
I was indeed. So they're basically renovating during the day, and opening it for the evening departures? Assume parts of it are closed up in that case?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by allturnleft
The day flight always sounds a bit tedious
Have to get up early
Arrives relatively late in London, 7pm
Poor catering reports.....
Is it good for jet lag?
Love the day flight. I don't mind the early morning as I will probably be up anyway due to jet-lag, and the flight is just too short to get any decent sleep.

Last week I took the day flight, overnighted in London and took the morning flight to TLV. I suffered zero jet-lag on my return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.