Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel avios flight on other OW airline

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Cancel avios flight on other OW airline

If I book an avios flight on JL through the BA app, am I able to cancel that one also up to 24h before departure, or are there different rules? Would the cancellation incure any fees?

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is the same rules for BA, oneworld or non oneworld airlines: you can get all your Avios back up to 24 hours before the first flight. There is a redeposit fee of £35 if your account is based in the UK, 42.50€ elsewhere in Europe, but that is capped by whatever was paid at the time of booking, so if the cash component was below £35 you have no more to pay. Again, the same for all airlines under Avios. There are no fees if redepositing a Gold Priority Reward.
SirToby likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Knodde
If I book an avios flight on JL through the BA app, am I able to cancel that one also up to 24h before departure, or are there different rules? Would the cancellation incure any fees?

Thanks
Hi,

The standard rules apply ( inculding the 35GBP cancellation fee but if the fees are less than that you would not get any money back just the avios)

Regards

TBS

PS C-W-S just beat me to it!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks, how I thought it worked but needed confirmation, waiting for a repricing of a change to another flight I am trying to amend, so not sure where I will be. Was told that the latest cancellations have put a strain on that part. +36h I have waited so far, but still a happy camper! ☺
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Knodde
Thanks, how I thought it worked but needed confirmation, waiting for a repricing of a change to another flight I am trying to amend, so not sure where I will be. Was told that the latest cancellations have put a strain on that part. +36h I have waited so far, but still a happy camper! ☺
Although BA redeposits points quickly some of the other carriers can be a bit lapse. Don't know about JAL in particular but RJ took over three months and eventually BA stepped in.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:18 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Lizie
Although BA redeposits points quickly some of the other carriers can be a bit lapse. Don't know about JAL in particular but RJ took over three months and eventually BA stepped in.
When you book an avios ticket through BA regardless of airline, you get a BA-issued ticket on 125 stock, at least for a simple one-way.

So I would have thought BA is entirely responsible for cancelling and refunding, and it's not really anything to do with RJ
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
When you book an avios ticket through BA regardless of airline, you get a BA-issued ticket on 125 stock, at least for a simple one-way.

So I would have thought BA is entirely responsible for cancelling and refunding, and it's not really anything to do with RJ
Yes, the avios and money come back directly from BA. I haven't heard that BA have to get the taxes/fees/charges back from the operating airline before refunding to the customer. In my experience regardless of the carrier BA should refund the avios and TFC straight away.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lizie
Well, I not that bothered with the time aspect on refunded avios, right now more bothered about the time aspect of staying awake until I hit HK evening, I can't sleep on flights, and unfortunately I was able to check in at my hotel at 8am in HK...and the bed is just too comfy now... 😯
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
My experience.
I bookd JAL flight award.
15000 Avios and 3370 JPY were charged.
When I requested cancellation on the web, 15000 Avios was redeposited almost immediately.
3370 JPY was redeposited to my credit card balance at the next day. (as a GGL).

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Feb 2, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Similar here:
Had to cancel a oneway Avios flight on CX.
Called BA since somehow it would not let me cancel it online.
The miles got posted back on my account in no time, only the taxes did not come back as they "used" it to pay the change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.