Planning to join BAEC - upgrades?

Old Jan 30, 19, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Just a quick thing to mention that during my BA Silver period I have never been upgraded on any Oneworld airline and I am waiting for my first upgrade. I usually end up around 600 to 800 TP a year so this might be different for Gold's.

Usually when the flight is empty, they block the seat next to you even though when you reserve the exit row seat for free. They are usually not taken until 7 days before takeoff where Bronze members could select them for free. I usually get the next seat empty on %75-80 of my IST-LHR/LHR-IST flights and got an empty middle seat on my last transatlantic flight with BA ( on a 787-9 ).

Also for those flying US domestic a lot, you are able to access the American Airlines Flagship Lounge ( in eligible airports ) and have a free 5 star meal when flying domestic on American Airlines on any route ( only not when flying Basic Economy ). Also in airports that have Admirals Club, they give you two premium drink vouchers that you won't need to pay for alcoholic beverages.
Old Jan 31, 19, 1:01 am

I have only been gold twice but I noticed a substantial increase in upgrades in non BA flights (one world though)
Old Jan 31, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: Exec Platinum
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
Challenge accepted I believe I can always find a way to accrue 1500 TP for 3000. Anyone is welcome to challenge me and cite an origin that "wouldn't work"
BCN would be fantastic

thanks
Old Jan 31, 19, 3:48 am

Programs: QF P1
Originally Posted by watersign View Post
Thanks, I have a UK address. Most of my travel will be UK/MidEast/Asia this year, so BA/OneWorld makes sense.
If you are AU based I'd recommend having a look at Qantas Frequent Flier, some of the positives vs BAEC include:

-Points upgrades work a little differently, they only clear a few days out, but do not require award inventory (or co-pays)
-Status benefits (lounge access, seating etc) with Emirates, however you need to be on a QF flight code to earn status credits
-Intra Europe and intra Asia is the real sweet spot in QF's massively complicated earning charts, you should be able to hit status quicker and easier on QF if you're flying a lot within these regions
Old Jan 31, 19, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Originally Posted by rfarlz View Post
If you are AU based I'd recommend having a look at Qantas Frequent Flier, some of the positives vs BAEC include:

-Points upgrades work a little differently, they only clear a few days out, but do not require award inventory (or co-pays)
-Status benefits (lounge access, seating etc) with Emirates, however you need to be on a QF flight code to earn status credits
-Intra Europe and intra Asia is the real sweet spot in QF's massively complicated earning charts, you should be able to hit status quicker and easier on QF if you're flying a lot within these regions
Thanks - I have a (mostly dormant) QF account. I should update my profile as I'm not in Australia most of the time anymore! I couldn't guarantee I'd do the 4 QF flights needed to get status. I did consider it, so I looked at the earnings for my next trip (a multi city Europe - Asia, via Mideast, flying BA and QR in C).
I will earn a lot more tier credits with BA than QF - I checked with their online calculators.
LHR-DOH, for instance, with BA, gets me 140 BAEC TCs. It would only get 60 with QF.

Last edited by watersign; Jan 31, 19 at 6:39 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 31, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
So where are you based? That does have some bearing on which FFP to choose.
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Just a quick thing to mention that during my BA Silver period I have never been upgraded on any Oneworld airline and I am waiting for my first upgrade. I usually end up around 600 to 800 TP a year so this might be different for Gold's.
My experience is never upgraded as a Gold but have been upgraded as Silver both when prior to being Gold and after dropping back to silver again.
Old Jan 31, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My only 2 upgrades were at blue from Y+ to J. I was going last minute to look after my parents who both ended up in hospital within 4 days of each other (Thankfully ok now). I guess it was Dharma. As a Silver I have had nothing, but have had 5 out of 6 legs in PE with nobody next to me, so that is definitely a plus in terms of comfort. I've learned not to expect upgrades, so don't get disappointed. But sure, if they happen I'm always going to be happy
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cfer4 View Post
BCN would be fantastic

thanks
BCN-LHR-AUH return in economy, 437 for 50 TP (Also gives you 4 BA flights)
2x AUH-CMB-CGK returns, 515 and 560TP each
AUH-CMB-HYD return , 472 and 360TP

Total: 1939 for 1530 TP and 4 BA flights.

Okay, this isn't the most practical itinerary, but it fits what I said I could do, and until last week you could do BCN to the east coast for ~1.75 TP and with lie-flat seats. You'd get your first 1360 TP for 2380, that's two trips to the east coast that are optimised for TP. Then you can do a simple 160TP route for the 4 BA segments. BCN-LHR-DUB shows 363 for a total cost of 2743 for 1520TP.