Planning to join BAEC - upgrades?

Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:02 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,883
Originally Posted by thebigben
Nah, I've always got Y redemptions on short notice when I wanted them from the Gold inventory. Fees, yes, there are fees, but if you value avios at 1p each (who doesn't) that makes the tickets a fair price, such as 130 GBP returns on peak dates for short haul. Or about ~750 GBP for a TATL return.

If you want to get WTP or First inventory... that's another story.
Versus other airlines many of which charge a FRACTION of the BA $ 1100 plus per person in CW ?
skippythelizard likes this.

Last edited by HMPS; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:06 pm Reason: typo
HMPS is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:39 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SAV/HHH
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Posts: 1,293
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
No, you don't - I think there must be some confusion here. It is a one cabin upgrade, subject to availability (of revenue fare classes if booked through a Travel Agent, of redemption availability if used via BA). There's a whole thread dedicated to them linked in the Dashboard.

The only time you'd have to pay extra is if government taxes increased between cabins, for example upgrading from Y to Y+. This is a fairly rare use of a GUF - most would be from Y+ to J or J to F.

However, as you believe you'd only just scrape Gold, these are probably currently out of your reach anyway.
BA charges additional fees beyond government taxes when upgrading using either a gold upgrade voucher (GUF2/GUF1) or Avios. There are extra "carrier fees" (some refer to as YQ) that are particularly onerous when starting a trip in the US.

I have redeemed two such upgrades within the last 30 days.

For a Club World -> First upgrade, I was charged $400 per passenger.

For a WT+ -> Club upgrade, I was charged $706 (1 passenger).
skippythelizard is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:14 pm
  #33  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
BA charges additional fees beyond government taxes when upgrading using either a gold upgrade voucher (GUF2/GUF1) or Avios. There are extra "carrier fees" (some refer to as YQ) that are particularly onerous when starting a trip in the US.

I have redeemed two such upgrades within the last 30 days.

For a Club World -> First upgrade, I was charged $400 per passenger.

For a WT+ -> Club upgrade, I was charged $706 (1 passenger).
Thank you, thatís an ex-US thing then - it definitely does not apply to an ex-Europe starting point in my experience (unless itís changed relatively recently).

As the OP is based in Australia - and therefore, as has been pointed out, will need to find an alternative address to even be able to join BAEC in the first place - reports on the situation on applying a GUF starting from there might be useful.
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:09 am
  #34  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,794
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Thank you, thatís an ex-US thing then - it definitely does not apply to an ex-Europe starting point in my experience (unless itís changed relatively recently).

As the OP is based in Australia - and therefore, as has been pointed out, will need to find an alternative address to even be able to join BAEC in the first place - reports on the situation on applying a GUF starting from there might be useful.
It actually applies to all bookings (and has for as long as I can remember)! Any difference in carrier surcharge is paid for when you use a guf. On a wt+ to cw upgrade you are typically looking at a difference of £70-150 return, for y to w about the same (not including apd). The one thing which is us specific is that ex-Europe, so far, YQ is the same for J and F so you normally wonít pay extra for those, so maybe if youíve used all your Gufs for J to F you likely never have needed to pay up?

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 30, 2019 at 1:02 am
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:31 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SYD, GOT
Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,841
No problems on a GUF starting in SYD
Koru Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:03 am
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,794
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
No problems on a GUF starting in SYD
do you mean youíve been able to use a guf from wt to wt+ or from wt+ to j without paying difference in tax and surcharges?
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:19 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I am not sure how the "£3000 at most" figure has been calculated but this needs a big caveat in my opinion. It may be possible to achieve Gold status for that sort of spend if you're based in the UK or Europe and you're willing and able to do an ex-EU tier point run in premium cabins to accrue the necessary tier points to attain status. Not everyone is. I am based in the US so doing ex-EU trips is pretty much out of the question. Work travel is subject to our corporate travel policy which in PE at best. Fares originating in the US also tend to be significantly higher than elsewhere, and the cost to UuA is now also much higher than previously. I think there needs to be a recognition that not everyone who is a BAEC member is based in the UK and can do ex-EU TP runs at the drop of a hat
Challenge accepted I believe I can always find a way to accrue 1500 TP for £3000. Anyone is welcome to challenge me and cite an origin that "wouldn't work"
DeathSlam likes this.
thebigben is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:21 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by HMPS
Versus other airlines many of which charge a FRACTION of the BA $ 1100 plus per person in CW ?
Avios and other miles aren't some kind of magic freebies. They have value. Other miles may be more valuable. This is part of the equation. One gets plenty of avios because they haven't moved to a revenue-based model like many. Again, that's part of the equation.

Admittedly BA doesn't cater to those who think that avios are free, but I don't mind that. More availability for me.
etiene likes this.
thebigben is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:34 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Unio Europaea
Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Prťsidentielle
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by cauchy
Welcome to Europe. We do have cheaper tickets (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/10/12/why-are-flights-so-much-cheaper-in-europe-than-in-the-u-s) and whilst there are a range of reasons for this, requiring passengers to pay for upgrades if they want them is one of them.
I have to say that I have to love how I'm blessed to live in Europe from a frequent flyer standpoint.

How come? Well, I'm not thinking about the airfares (hence Washington Post is probably right), but it would be quite tiresome to fly in Club Europe with BA, if it would be always full. :P Just thinking how CE would probably look like on e.g. the Greek island routes, if it would resemble AA to their Caribbean destinations. Furthermore I'm quite certain the catering would also go down, besides how it would anyway be less exclusive than before. To be honest, the worst shorthaul biz catering I've had is with AA within OW and I'm pretty certain it's partially due to the fact that very few actually have paid to be there. To be frank, I feel I get a subpar product with AA when I'm travelling in "First" on my tickets from Europe. CE with BA is good value in comparison to AA's "First" on Europe-North America routings.

I've even had a seldom DYKWIA moment of mine in "First" on AA, when some upgraded Y passenger would have wanted his wife to have my seat... *eye rolling* I made a wry comment that unfortunately I had paid for my "First" and selected the seat months ago. That wrapped up the discussion pretty quick. I kept my window seat and poor her had to keep her aisle seat. :P

So ipso facto, I would certainly mind, if BAEC would work like its American equivalents.
T8191, etiene and jfallesen like this.
Flying Yazata is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:17 am
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Oaxaca


Mostly good advice above, but only relevant if your location of SYD is changing. or you have an address outside AU. To my knowledge, AU residents still cannot join BAEC.
Thanks, I have a UK address. Most of my travel will be UK/MidEast/Asia this year, so BA/OneWorld makes sense.
Oaxaca likes this.
watersign is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:28 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,159
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
You might have been thinking of how the GUF1 and GUF2 can use revenue class availability (A/I classes) when booked through a TA.

Or, how a GGL can open extra away/upgrade availability twice a year.

Both of those are very useful benefits...
Or that as a Gold you can force reward availability where none exists if there is revenue availability by using double the Avios?
skippythelizard likes this.
snaxmuppet is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:48 am
  #42  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by orbitmic


It actually applies to all bookings (and has for as long as I can remember)! Any difference in carrier surcharge is paid for when you use a guf. On a wt+ to cw upgrade you are typically looking at a difference of £70-150 return, for y to w about the same (not including apd). The one thing which is us specific is that ex-Europe, so far, YQ is the same for J and F so you normally won’t pay extra for those, so maybe if you’ve used all your Gufs for J to F you likely never have needed to pay up?
That explains it far better than my attempt! Correct, all my GUF redemptions have been J to F, where there is no YQ difference originating in Europe, but it sounds like there is in the US. That's why - to guide the OP - I was hoping someone would have some data about that component for ex-Australia itineraries, because understandably given the restrictions on BAEC membership there it's probably not an everyday occurrence so we don't generally see reports here.
orbitmic likes this.
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:17 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,883
Originally Posted by thebigben
Avios and other miles aren't some kind of magic freebies. They have value. Other miles may be more valuable. This is part of the equation. One gets plenty of avios because they haven't moved to a revenue-based model like many. Again, that's part of the equation.

Admittedly BA doesn't cater to those who think that avios are free, but I don't mind that. More availability for me.
Bolding mine. Dream on 1
orbitmic likes this.
HMPS is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:44 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,814
Originally Posted by cauchy
Welcome to Europe. We do have cheaper tickets (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/10/12/why-are-flights-so-much-cheaper-in-europe-than-in-the-u-s) and whilst there are a range of reasons for this, requiring passengers to pay for upgrades if they want them is one of them.

Have you looked at AA?
I was going to suggest this and surprised no one had earlier. if upgrades are what heís after and One World is who heís flying another program is likely much better than BA and I suspect AA isnhis best bet
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:15 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
There's no guarantee of free upgrades for any status level ( so no, no hidden perk)
One of the benefits of BA is the lack of upgrades - the planes often fly around with empty seats in club world and first. This has been useful on a few occasions:
1) On a 787 when there was a screaming kid in premium economy those of us in the back section of CW were encouraged to move forwards to the front section.
2) In first class it is quite common to get two seats. Once airborne one will be made up as a bed for you and you can swap between that seat and the other seat whenever you want.
3) The meal service can be quicker when the cabin is emptier.
4) When the power outlet is faulty you can move to a different seat.
ChrL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.