Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you

This all sounds very disappointing, I hope that it didn’t spoil your flight too much and the service recovery and action of the crew was acceptable?
The crew was so apologetic.
I could tell that they really felt ashamed.

Before heating up his breakfast they warned us that “it doesn’t look very good”.

Also when they noted there was no dessert for dinner we did ask if he could have the fruit salad from his breakfast but they said “we would keep that for your breakfast. You will need it”
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I couldn’t help but bursted out laughing.
A very healthy response, and one that may stand you in good stead. I’ve noticed a pattern amongst people I know round here who fly a lot, often for work, often not, who hold, and/or have held for a long time, Gold or GGL status with BA and who, having passed through feelings of disappointment, irritation or even anger about BA and what it’s become, now just have a good chuckle and then book with a different carrier.
rossmacd, HMPS, ttama and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What just plain like that? doesn't sound in the least bit appetising
i wouldnt mind some mushroom/funghi/yam soba.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

The crew was so apologetic.
I could tell that they really felt ashamed.

Before heating up his breakfast they warned us that “it doesn’t look very good”.

Also when they noted there was no dessert for dinner we did ask if he could have the fruit salad from his breakfast but they said “we would keep that for your breakfast. You will need it”
I bet they were, we really don’t want to have disappointed customers.
I hope that the feedback that they would have given will be acted on quickly.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by subject2load
OP, I take it you weren’t especially amused by the amuse-bouche offering. That, along with the main course, will surely have cost BA a combined total of as much as £1.50

Not to be confused with “your first class restaurant in the sky” promised by the website.
Ah ! They will count special order for the veggies, prep and labor expense for just one meal, logistics etc. Cost mounts upp !

Originally Posted by fotographer
That is why I have stopped ordering special meals, Did it once on AA and once on BA, learned my lesson
Originally Posted by florens
Lucky you can cross over across all meal types.

There are tons of meals that can be made vegan, many Indian dishes can be made vegan, and other meals too using lentils for example. Many people think you can only serve vegetables which is rubbish. Barilla pasta for example is vegan.

Regarding drinks: Some would only drink vegan drinks and use vegan care products as well as clothing, others might be less strict. Depends on your lifestyle really. It is not black or white as many things in life.
+ 1. Yes you can have tasty vegan meals. Just takes some effort to turn pages in a cookbook. What we see is a reflection of someone's MOST BASIC interpretation of Vegan and do a CYA !
​​​​​​​BTW Indian veg (AVML HINDU) meals in CW or F are no treats as maost times it is the same item(s) as in coach, except the wrappers were taken off and there were more utensils on the tray !
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Can anyone point to airlines who do this right?

I assume the ME3 must be better with Vegan with their big Sub Continent contingent and generally higher standards.

It would be interesting to see what can be done

Edit - Actually just remembered this fella is a vegan isn’t he and seems to get by pretty well - https://www.youtube.com/user/dantorp11
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldn’t help but bursted out laughing.
Given BA's reputation for cleaning it was probably the one I lost on an overnight last July. It was old but fairly clean.
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I assume the ME3 must be better with Vegan with their big Sub Continent contingent and generally higher standards.

Look at post #34 .
BA can do it well. They can even do Vegan Brownie.
But this time something went very wrong.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

Edit - Actually just remembered this fella is a vegan isn’t he and seems to get by pretty well - https://www.youtube.com/user/dantorp11
AY J is quite good. BA shorthaul J too. IB and AA are rubbish.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
If this is F, do they just chuck a raw turnip at your head in Y?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by zymm
If this is F, do they just chuck a raw turnip at your head in Y?
I wouldn’t be slightly surprised if it’s the exact same thing
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:39 am

Look at post #34 .
BA can do it well. They can even do Vegan Brownie.
But this time something went very wrong.
I suspect HKG is what went wrong then. Which raises my earlier question as to what CX manage to offer with their caterers there, as it’s hard to imagine it’s the same.

CWS prob knows who the various catering contracts there are with!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
There is an inherent responsibility on the part of BA (and indeed any airline) to satisfy itself that food provided onboard its aircraft is of an acceptable standard and quality - regardless of the specific sector or supply point involved.

Passengers would, of course, have particularly high expectations for catering in a First class cabin, and the onus to meet those expectations rests ultimately with BA management - not with any caterers the airline may decide to use.
Cap'n Benj, Sealink, HMPS and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by kaka
i wouldnt mind some mushroom/funghi/yam soba.
You made me think - I assume that Risotto would be acceptable? Funghi Porcini? I ask for a reason.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You made me think - I assume that Risotto would be acceptable? Funghi Porcini? I ask for a reason.
For a vegetarian, it would at the very least need to be made with a vegetarian broth (a lot of risottos (risotti?) are made with chicken or fish broth) and, for most vegetarians, without parmesan as it contains rennet. Some veggies aren't too strict about this though, and most appreciate if you check.

For a vegan, risotto would only be ok with a veg broth and no real cheese in it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.