Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
HKG catering. oh joy. such a shame for me based in HKG... For this very reason i try to fly JL26 a lot.

anyways, 12000 avios seems a bit too few. 12000 per meal, perhaps.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Temedar
Quinoa? Beans? Buckwheat?
What just plain like that? doesn't sound in the least bit appetising
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What just plain like that? doesn't sound in the least bit appetising
Obviously not. I've had a great quinoa-chestnut-somethingelse salad on Joon for 7 euros, surely BA F catering can learn from the French. If that's too hard any cookbook with Indian or Middle Eastern recipes has vegetarian dishes based on beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Photos taken off another website. VEGAN BA FIRST dishes from the past.

(Photos credit: https://guyrobottv.wordpress.com/201...tic-and-delta/ )

I saw a comment or two saying that vegan dishes can’t be anythinf else then just boiled veggies and rice, so there.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
In this day and age - and whatever you may think of a vegan diet (I am vegetarian) - this is pathetic in First Class. Particularly for one of Britain's superbands in its premier cabin. It ought to be Haute Cuisine, restaurant style dining quality. I would send your photos to BA CEO. It's one thing for BA to proudly highlight VEGETARIAN and VEGAN on its Club World menu (for instance), but then not to deliver something better than what you've shown us in First is appalling. I'd go further than SACK THE CHEF, s/he needs to go back to catering school.

p.s. No Soy milk onboard an intercontinental flight is a joke in 2019.
endoman, Sealink, florens and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Temedar
Quinoa? Beans? Buckwheat?
A simple google search would highlight some easy recipes. BA need to make vast improvements in First, fast.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So what might they have offered? What are they serving so well in CE? I'm probably alone in thinking if you ask for Vegan and get Vegan, all that is left is the quantity.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it looks ghastly. Another question - are you allowed to drink gin or wine as by definition they cannot have anything but fruit or aromatics?
I'm not vegan, but I usually request a steak that tastes like tofu.
dddc, Crampedin13A, Edina and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Varies
If I'm ever tempted to fly First rather than CW, I shall return to this thread to save myself a shedload of money.

The OP must have been so disappointed. I know that flying BA these days often results in a feeling of mild depression but this would really have pissed me off.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I travelled in J with my vegan partner from LHR to MIA earlier this month. The offering was basically the same but was presented better and looked bigger. She was happy with what she got but I’d prepared her for the worst and her expectations before receiving the food were quite low. Dessert for her was a bowl of sixteen blueberries and three raspberries. This was from the main menus rather than being a specifically loaded vegan dessert.

The most disappointing thing was continually being offered non vegan items (mainly items containing dairy) by someone who clearly didn’t understand what being vegan means despite being in a job which involves serving food. What if the veganism is partly as a result of severe allergies? This really is quite worrying from a safety perspective but is not an issue which is unique to BA at all.
kimberlyrose and florens like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
The most disappointing thing was continually being offered non vegan items (mainly items containing dairy) by someone who clearly didn’t understand what being vegan means despite being in a job which involves serving food. What if the veganism is partly as a result of severe allergies? This really is quite worrying from a safety perspective but is not an issue which is unique to BA at all.
This. I have made this observation too. In CE, the crew would often say "oh, sir, you have preordered a vegetarian meal". I am like no, a vegan one. In most of the cases I am not sure that the crew knows the difference as they later offer milk with coffee or tea etc.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'd be annoyed at that
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I travelled in J with my vegan partner from LHR to MIA earlier this month. The offering was basically the same but was presented better and looked bigger. She was happy with what she got but I’d prepared her for the worst and her expectations before receiving the food were quite low. Dessert for her was a bowl of sixteen blueberries and three raspberries. This was from the main menus rather than being a specifically loaded vegan dessert.

Can you have wafer thin sliced ham?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttama
If I'm ever tempted to fly First rather than CW, I shall return to this thread to save myself a shedload of money.

The OP must have been so disappointed. I know that flying BA these days often results in a feeling of mild depression but this would really have pissed me off.
It was in fact my partner who received this meal.
I am not vegan myself.

I felt sorry for him. He was very excited about flying in First and BA let him down.

One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldn’t help but bursted out laughing.
wrp96, florens, ttama and 1 others like this.

Last edited by let_BAegones_be; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Sorry just to add we flew HKG - LHR.
Wow. For the class and length of flight, that was severely disappointing to see. You might expect that (maybe) on a Band 1 or Domestic CE flight, but not long haul on a premier route.

Not sure what the problem is. I've only flown Qantas (J and Y) and Cathay Y out of HK and the catering has been excellent normally, standard meals obviously. But what served is what the airline sets the catering company to do and if they can't follow through then something is very wrong.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

It was in fact my partner who received this meal.
I am not vegan myself.

I felt sorry for him. He was very excited about flying in First and BA let him down.

One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldn’t help but bursted out laughing.
This all sounds very disappointing, I hope that it didn’t spoil your flight too much and the service recovery and action of the crew was acceptable?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.