I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Old Jan 29, 19, 5:59 pm
  #91  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,773
Someone has to say it: Goose (and gander) is not vegetarian (but it tastes good, sorry gooselee).
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:24 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,699
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
Strange one reads more about non veggie meals more often .......so should they be alright with a boiled egg, a beef jerky etc as a meal? After all nothing is the contract that says what MUST be served ! What is good for the goose is good for the gander too ....
no but they would presumably be able to request the self same service recovery compensation, and would presumably then take their business elsewhere, which is exactly what OP should be doing
HMPS likes this.
nancypants is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:25 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,264
I thought Vegan was an abbreviation for Vegetarian.
AnaTravel likes this.
worldtrav is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:20 pm
  #94  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS View Post

People with special diets deserve sympathy and help especially when health reasons are the motivations behind. However, one has to admit that there is no specific health indication for a vegan diet, as it is an issue of personal choice, and even most OP here here seem to disagree as to what could/would be considered acceptable for a vegan in terms of ingredients and combinations. While the presentation of the meal is indeed ghastly, as the airline already has -excellent often times- a la carte vegetarian offers, it is a bit unfair to blame BA for adapting so badly to the traveller’s personal preference. I am not sure other airlines do consistently better with the vegan offer. And let’s face it, an avios service recovery for not meeting specific personal expectations (after all, vegan food was offered, even most restaurants wont know how to prepare a sumpupus vegan meal) is quite a good will gesture. A nice fulfilling elegant vegan meal is not is the contract of carriage.
This is rubbish. There are very well health reasons for some who are vegan. If BA can not deliver a proper meal they should not offer the option in the first place. Period.

If a carnivore expects a proper steak or a tender piece of chicken with tasty sides in First, then a vegan can expect a proper meal too. No seasoning for example shows how uneducated people who prepared the meals really are. Of course vegans can eat pepper and salt, veg stock and whatnot.

There are plenty of easy and really nice recipes out there (you should try some) which can be made cheaply even. It just needs a little bit of effort. Any meals which involve a creamy sauce can be replicated vegan using soy cream for example.

This is really pathetic by BA especially since they offer good CE vegan meals and that‘s by the way also the reason we now fly longhaul AY J for our honeymoon as opposed to BA J/F.
florens is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 1:24 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAS
Programs: DL DM/MM, BA GGL/CCR, A3 Gold, United Premier 1k, MilleMiglia, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 110
Hate to reveal my profession but there are no health conditions that require a vegan diet. So the ‘rubbish’ comment here is is uneducated to say the least. Then were all free to say its healthier to eat a carrot than a steak and i agree with that but again, no requirement. I have this discussion everyday and trust me, I am not intolerant or insensitive to the issue. I agree BA shouldnt offer the option but they do, and if the catering is bad, then fine. Bring your business elsewhere or be very thankful for a compensation other people wouldnt feel entitled to.
Macspreader and nancypants like this.
IkarosBOS is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 1:33 am
  #96  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS View Post
Hate to reveal my profession but there are no health conditions that require a vegan diet. So the ‘rubbish’ comment here is is uneducated to say the least. Then were all free to say its healthier to eat a carrot than a steak and i agree with that but again, no requirement. I have this discussion everyday and trust me, I am not intolerant or insensitive to the issue. I agree BA shouldnt offer the option but they do, and if the catering is bad, then fine. Bring your business elsewhere or be very thankful for a compensation other people wouldnt feel entitled to.
Have you thought about that it might have to do with how you feel. After my partner stopped eating meat, fish and dairy products she has felt much, much better and healthier. No more stomach aches, indigestion etc. So yes, to her at least it is a requirement, because she likes to feel good. Traveling with indigestion and stomach aches is really not something that is pleasant and I hope you agree. I have tried it myself, by the way, and had the same experience. It is quite interesting what it did to my body. I have also lost 2.5 stones just by this diet and feel much more comfortable now.
HMPS likes this.
florens is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 3:59 am
  #97  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,078
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
Can you have wafer thin sliced ham?
Absolutely - easily obtainable in Italy and elsewhere.
Sealink likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 4:17 am
  #98  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,078
Originally Posted by florens View Post


This is rubbish. There are very well health reasons for some who are vegan. If BA can not deliver a proper meal they should not offer the option in the first place. Period.


This is really pathetic by BA especially since they offer good CE vegan meals and that‘s by the way also the reason we now fly longhaul AY J for our honeymoon as opposed to BA J/F.
One thing that I would say is that this, whilst not modern, is far more widespread than it used to be. I asked about the Risotto (and thank you to the kind person for their comment - and yes I too use vegetable stock). I have learned much in this thread, I agree that it should be done properly or not at all. Whilst with matters gastronomic, it is impossible to please everyone, one should at least try to please as many as possible.

In days gone by, Vegetarianism was considered to be the realm of cranks who probably ran around stark naked at home. No one knew or cared and passed it off as being faddishin some way. Not anymore. For reasons that we do not understand properly, so many people have allergies and in tolerances to common every day foods. People have all sorts of reasons why they adopt different diets and an organisation such as BA should respond accordingly. I hope that I make myself clear. I have one or two friends who I like to come to dinner and they are vegan. I need to have a menu that will accommodate them and everyone else sitting at the table. I have made bloomers in the past, using Worcester Sauce in something or other only to discover that as it contains anchovies it could not be used (I have to say that I found out after the event and I did tell them when I did find out (by accident) as I was afraid that it might have made them ill.!

So to return to topic, that meal posted by the OP looks like it was dreamed up by some aspirant 15 year old in the old O level days at some Swiss Finishing School, certain in the knowledge that she would never be doing this professionally or at all if she married rich enough.

I was most interested to read how much weight had been lost, and indeed how much better you both feel. That is the first time that I have heard this - thank you.

Has anyone answered my query about wine and gin? I need to know what I can give them to drink!
florens and AnaTravel like this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 5:10 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Northamptonshire
Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
Posts: 36
I hope it is acceptable to link to an external website for this - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/22/20-best-vegan-wines-supermarkets-online

Basically if a wine says suitable for vegans in the bottle, you should be ok!
(I am not a vegan and don't drink alcohol in general, but I had a vegan boyfriend and a current vegan colleague at work)
yrin is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 7:28 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Posts: 466
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
Photos taken off another website. VEGAN BA FIRST dishes from the past.

(Photos credit: https://guyrobottv.wordpress.com/201...tic-and-delta/ )

I saw a comment or two saying that vegan dishes can’t be anythinf else then just boiled veggies and rice, so there.



Not fair! Every time I travel from Austin in First, Club or Economy and order VLML I get the second meal down on the right (just served on a different plate or tray depending on cabin). But I always get 1 piece of asparagus and 2 carrots. That photo shows two of each. Maybe I need to change from VLML to VGML to get the extra asparagus?

Special meal - menu rotation
HMPS likes this.
ChrL is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:11 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
One thing that I would say is that this, whilst not modern, is far more widespread than it used to be. I asked about the Risotto (and thank you to the kind person for their comment - and yes I too use vegetable stock). I have learned much in this thread, I agree that it should be done properly or not at all. Whilst with matters gastronomic, it is impossible to please everyone, one should at least try to please as many as possible.

In days gone by, Vegetarianism was considered to be the realm of cranks who probably ran around stark naked at home. No one knew or cared and passed it off as being faddishin some way. Not anymore. For reasons that we do not understand properly, so many people have allergies and in tolerances to common every day foods. People have all sorts of reasons why they adopt different diets and an organisation such as BA should respond accordingly. I hope that I make myself clear. I have one or two friends who I like to come to dinner and they are vegan. I need to have a menu that will accommodate them and everyone else sitting at the table. I have made bloomers in the past, using Worcester Sauce in something or other only to discover that as it contains anchovies it could not be used (I have to say that I found out after the event and I did tell them when I did find out (by accident) as I was afraid that it might have made them ill.!

So to return to topic, that meal posted by the OP looks like it was dreamed up by some aspirant 15 year old in the old O level days at some Swiss Finishing School, certain in the knowledge that she would never be doing this professionally or at all if she married rich enough.

I was most interested to read how much weight had been lost, and indeed how much better you both feel. That is the first time that I have heard this - thank you.

Has anyone answered my query about wine and gin? I need to know what I can give them to drink!
Pucci Galore, this is such a great post for many reasons. Understanding the needs of various dietary requirements can take time. It's easy to make mistakes and even vegetarians/vegans get it wrong sometimes. When I first became a vegetarian I simply wanted to avoid eating meat and fish. I was a child in a meat eating family - without the access to Google search - or the instant online knowledge that there is today. Your friends are lucky to have such a thoughtful and generous host. Here is a link where you can check the vegan friendliness of over 43,000 beer wine and liqueur products
​​​​​​
Barnivore: your vegan wine, beer, and liquor guide
Gin or distilled spirits are easier than wine to find.

Your point on British Airways responding according to customer requirements gets to the heart of the matter. BA offers fine dining for vegans and should deliver it. CC should also have appropriate training and not left to wing it or cobble together something (rather than nothing) for the passenger. British Airways has gotten away with this for too long. They promise fine dining in the sky for vegans. A fine dining restaurant on the ground would deliver on that promise or not offer the option. Lastly, it is disappointing when BA ignores lacto-ovo selections and delivers a vegan meals as a 'lowest common denominator' option.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Jan 30, 19 at 8:21 am
AnaTravel is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:19 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 2,940
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS View Post
Hate to reveal my profession but there are no health conditions that require a vegan diet.
This is incorrect.

People who suffer from gout or hyperuricemia need to limit or eliminate foods which are high in purines from their diet.

This includes most animal proteins such as red meat, fish, chicken, etc.
ttama likes this.
macabus is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:26 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
Posts: 372
To be frank, 12k avios is one full return flight in Europe with some avios still left to spare. All this for a basic vegan meal gone wrong and a missing dessert.

Now, I understand it's First, costs lot of money, etc. but at the end of the day it's plane food. Fullstop. In this case it's not even the main menu, for which there are economies of scale, etc. but a special meal for vegans.

What would you expect?

When I was flying CX I used to order a fruit plate in J as I prefer to avoid plane food and like some refreshing fruit during the flight, but I never expected a far flung fruit salad from the corners of earth.

I think our wealth and politically correctness has spoiled us so much we might have lost the compass here...
nancypants likes this.
frandrake is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:45 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 4,981
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS View Post

..............................While the presentation of the meal is indeed ghastly, as the airline already has -excellent often times- a la carte vegetarian offers, it is a bit unfair to blame BA for adapting so badly to the traveller’s personal preference.

...............................................
This is about more than just ‘ghastly presentation’, as you put it. The meal itself is way below the sort of standard that one might expect to be provided in a First Class cabin - even taking into account the dietary restrictions notified in advance.

F class fares are invariably several multiples of the cost of an economy class seat, and there are funds available within that cost for an airline to make some effort in providing a better standard of catering than is evident from the OP’s post.

If it is “unfair” to blame BA for such a poor show ...... then who exactly is to blame ... Is it the passenger ... ?


HMPS, ttama and AnaTravel like this.
subject2load is online now  
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:59 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Glasgow
Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS View Post

People with special diets deserve sympathy and help especially when health reasons are the motivations behind. However, one has to admit that there is no specific health indication for a vegan diet, as it is an issue of personal choice, and even most OP here here seem to disagree as to what could/would be considered acceptable for a vegan in terms of ingredients and combinations. While the presentation of the meal is indeed ghastly, as the airline already has -excellent often times- a la carte vegetarian offers, it is a bit unfair to blame BA for adapting so badly to the traveller’s personal preference. I am not sure other airlines do consistently better with the vegan offer. And let’s face it, an avios service recovery for not meeting specific personal expectations (after all, vegan food was offered, even most restaurants wont know how to prepare a sumpupus vegan meal) is quite a good will gesture. A nice fulfilling elegant vegan meal is not is the contract of carriage.
So do you also feel those that choose meals based on religious beliefs is a personal choice and thus BA can also serve them shoddy meals? There are also clear environmental benefits to vegan diets, and many people report health and wellbeing benefits also.
HMPS likes this.
AMBurns1512 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread